Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSV4 Track Build

RSV4 Track Build

I have been reading some of these awesome build threads on here and thought id put up a few pics and info on what I’m about to undertake.

Its not going to be a super crazy build just a budget track bike as i still need to find myself a replacement road bike. I know that Nick has built a billion of these so hopefully you can let me know if i'm doing anything or chip in with any advice as I go along.

I hit a wallaby last month at the Reefton spur and it ruptured my oil cooler and radiator and i ended up not being able to stop in time and left the road at 40kph and down the side of the embankment.
    The bike landed on top of my leg and was still running ( tilt sensor fucked if i know why it didn't work??). The bike was idling almost upside down for about 10-15 secs.

Long story short i ended up buying the bike back from Insurance for as it was too cheap to pass up. The damage is mainly cosmetic and was deemed an uneconomic writeoff. Not a stat.
    Frame is straight and not a dint, all controls are fine, forks are perfect swing-arm ect. Bike has about 14,000kms. I bought it at 6,000 and its never seen the track.

Bike- 2010 RSV4 Factory (non APRC)

First thing on my list is to get the radiators fixed and test fire it as im weary as it was running upside down.
    As the bike was upside down I will have to clean the airfilter and airbox of any oil. Put a new oil filter and fresh oil.
    Any other advice before starting it up once a bikes been down before?

The planned list of things to do so far-
    Fit Race glass and GB engine covers from Marshy
    Get the valve clearances checked and adjusted before it hits the track
    Install my 19mm Brembo M/C from the CBR
    Possibly fit heavier fork and shock springs and get the sags sorted.
    Crash knobs of some sort….maybe axle sliders
    Fit New Brake pads- Recommendations please for good track pads
    Fit slicks-

Any other advice before hitting the track with a RSV4?

Cant wait to get this thing fixed up and to Phillip Island.

Here are some photos of the strip down so far. Will post more as I progress

Shitload of oil all over the rear

All caused by this bastard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WRCPUG; 31-03-2015 at 08:31 AM.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

At least you got dinner sorted!

Sorry to hear about your prang! That being said, I do love a build thread!!
    Marshy has tried just about every combination of kit on RSV4, Kris too. Plenty of knowledge about.
    I'd deff get crash protection, axel sliders maybe not - I find them a bit of a ball ache.
    You can do quite a bit with that suspension, I'd deff get them serviced and re-sprung.
    Vesrah are da nuts as far as brake pads go, Marshy can give you the exact model to suit.
    Keep the updates coming!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Sorry to hear about your prang! That being said, I do love a build thread!!
    Marshy has tried just about every combination of kit on RSV4, Kris too. Plenty of knowledge about.
    I'd deff get crash protection, axel sliders maybe not - I find them a bit of a ball ache.
    You can do quite a bit with that suspension, I'd deff get them serviced and re-sprung.
    Vesrah are da nuts as far as brake pads go, Marshy can give you the exact model to suit.
    Keep the updates coming!!
    thanks mate ill be getting the suspension set up for my weight but id rather keep the standard internals at this stage.
    Maybe some shims/valving but don't wanna dick around with cartridge kits at this stage but i think getting it sprung right is my main priority.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

A few nights ago i started to rip apart the bike and get rid of any unnecessary parts and also have a closer look at the damage.

Most parts are still in good condition. Headlights have minor light scratches but work.
    All the fairing stay and clips and mounts are perfect and not snapped which is good.

All the inlet ducts are fine too.

Got the radiator and oil cooler off but they were a bit of a bitch as the mounts are bent

Think ill keep all this shit as spares for when i get a new one just in case

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG View Post
    getting it sprung right is my main priority.
    Yeah, I think that's all you'd need to get some great results!

Got the oil cooler and Radiator off.
    The oil cooler hose piece is smashed out so ill have to get that re-welded in.
    The main problem is the lower mount has been pushed way out of whack and damaged the bottom of the radiator.
    Basically ill need to get the mounts straightened so it sits correctly on the bike and patch up any leaks.

Anyone had any experience with getting Rads fixed and if so does this look repairable?
    I'm going to take it to a radiator place this week and see what they say.

Attached Images Attached Images

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Anyone had any experience with getting Rads fixed and if so does this look repairable?
    I'm going to take it to a radiator place this week and see what they say.
    If it's not actually leaking, it's fine as is. I've used much worse (and had repaired much worse). Here's the one on my current RSV4: http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post14576
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

This looks like a straightforward build. Looking forward to seeing the results! Ask away with any more questions.

Oh, for brake pads, buy these: https://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=468

They are the duck's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    If it's not actually leaking, it's fine as is. I've used much worse (and had repaired much worse). Here's the one on my current RSV4: http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post14576
    sweet thanks mate. Yeah if your radiator is still working like that i have great faith that mine can be fixed. Thanks for the link on the pads too ill have to put some on order.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Stripped down most the bike the other day.
    Radiators are getting fixed at the moment.

The headers have a small dint in them..must of been the radiator hitting them.
    Also the oil filter copped a hit too from the oil cooler

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Looks good! Nice progress

Looking good mate! how bad is the header ding?
    Those things are nothing short of a complete pain in the arse to get on and off!!

its really not that bad i don't think ill fix it as i cant be stuffed taking it off. Its just the shitty standard headers anyway.
    As soon as i get the radiators back (most likely tomorrow) ill fit them back on and test fire the bike.
    As it was running upside down for a little bit ill have to check the airbox for oil and remove the plugs.

Marshy- not sure if you do your valve checks yourself but do you know if you have to drop the motor to get easy access to the heads? Or just remove airbox and throttle bodies??

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Marshy- not sure if you do your valve checks yourself but do you know if you have to drop the motor to get easy access to the heads? Or just remove airbox and throttle bodies??
    Occasionally I do them, but I've always got motors being dropped out and put back in for various reasons (frame replacement being the most common). Dropping the motor on an Ape is surprisingly easy. But I'd say at a guess that you could access them in situ, even though the front bank is a little harder to access.

Quick update. Last week dropped the bike off to Dean at Dynoverx to get the valve clearances checked and adjusted.
    In the mean time been ordering some stuff which has arrived.

Big thanks to the super helpful Nick for the speedy delivery of some race glass, GB engine covers and an 11kg spring for the shock.
    The 2nd hand fairings look great Nick i like the colour scheme too
    Also got some woodcraft axel sliders and R&G Frame sliders.

Have to chop and shorten my Akra pipe as well as it was damaged in the crash.

As soon as i get the bike back ill start putting it all together. Cant wait

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

THINGS!!
    I love a parts delivery
    Can't wait to see it all coming together. I think the shorty Akra looks better than the long one too!

Big thanks to the super helpful Nick for the speedy delivery of some race glass, GB engine covers and an 11kg spring for the shock.
    You're welcome Alex!! Good to see they got there ok

I think the shorty Akra looks better than the long one too!
    +1

One of my bikes has a shorty Akra and it looks fantastic! Sounds great too.

Looking good ULEX! That Wallaby really gave it a good whack though, didn't expect it to have ripped off the mount for the oil line. Explains why it looked the way it did I suppose.

Easy fix for the dented headers...Akra's I dig the shorty Akra mufflers too, will look awesome once it's done.

Yeah i love the chopped Akra look too this is a great excuse to do it too.
    How much should i chop off? I was thinking about 15-20cm.

Yeah Dane it did give it a good whack...i guess hitting it at 110kmph does that though. It bent the brackets holding the rads to the engine as well so ill have to straighten them too.

As for the headers they will be fine (unless you want to donate me yours???) not really too concerned about doing power upgrades just want to get it handling right and improve my riding before i go nuts with mods.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Yeah, know what you mean mate. That's why I went standard cams instead of upgrading when I had the wear issue, more power isn't doing much for me at this point anyway. They do look sexy, though...and I'm a sucker for titanium

I have some standard headers here you can use in case you're worried about yours at all.

I have been a bit slow on the updates lately but finally had some stuff happening lately.

Finally sold my CBR track bike, the new owner is collecting it tomorrow. Sad to see it go but glad that i've got something better to replace it with

I just got the bike back from my mechanic as they had to wait a month for some tools that were on back order from Italy.
    Had the valve clearances checked and adjusted (they were quite a bit out of spec even though the clearances were not due for another 8000kms) Good old Italian engineering :P

So i just spent today putting the bike back together. Installed the GB racing engine covers, Woodcraft axle sliders and also the R&G frame skidders. Re-installed the Annotori QS-Pro quick shifter loom and Q/S.
    Test fitted some of the fairings too and gave them a polish and clean.

Cleaned my calipers and installed some new Vesrah brake pads. I went to install my Brembo 18x19 master cylinder but somethings wrong with it.
    I installed the crash repair kit in it but must of cocked something up as its not returning/ pumping properly.

I'm still waiting on a new radiator as mine is still leaking. The oil cooler was fixed and is ready to go on.
    I have chopped a few inches off my Akra pipe and have tried to put it back together but its being a bitch and i lost patience trying to get the end cap back on. Carbon fiber and exhaust packing is ridiculously itchy though.
    Ill try again soon.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Good to see it coming along and getting it all back together

Looks great!!! Very nice

Keep the updates coming

thanks guys its getting there.

Nick- got a question for you. Where do you mount your Reg rectifier on the RSV4's. In road trim its attached to a plastic shroud that sits behind the fairings but not sure if that will fit with the race fairings.
    Do you have any photos of your set ups? Also thanks for the advice on curvey girl...i ended up getting my pads and Brembo repair kit through them.

Also i had this guy Jason just pick up my old track bike this morning, i mentioned that he should look at the Annitori QS for it. I think he ended up buying it from you. Hes based in NSW so you might see that black blade out at SMPT some time.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Looking great!! I want a pic pf the half done pipe tho!! Lol

thanks guys its getting there.

Nick- got a question for you. Where do you mount your Reg rectifier on the RSV4's. In road trim its attached to a plastic shroud that sits behind the fairings but not sure if that will fit with the race fairings.
    Do you have any photos of your set ups? Also thanks for the advice on curvey girl...i ended up getting my pads and Brembo repair kit through them.

Also i had this guy Jason just pick up my old track bike this morning, i mentioned that he should look at the Annitori QS for it. I think he ended up buying it from you. Hes based in NSW so you might see that black blade out at SMPT some time.
    Good stuff mate

Here's where I put my reg/rec. Some guys run them up under the dash area, but here works too.

Good stuff mate

Here's where I put my reg/rec. Some guys run them up under the dash area, but here works too.
    .... wouldn't get a lot of cooling there ... Just thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    .... wouldn't get a lot of cooling there ... Just thinking
    I was initially worried about that too, but the airflow going through and around the radiator with race fairings on is very significant (much better than with road fairings). The OEM place on the side of the road fairings gets much less airflow! And if the bike is sitting idling (ie no airflow), the reg/rec is sitting on top of the fan, which kicks in and cools it down!! Win win.

Good stuff mate

Marshy your a legend thanks so much for the pics. Ill get cracking on mounting my rec reg there. Zip ties are my fav

Sicko- Ill get a pic for you...i've butchered it a bit but fuck it its just a track bike so doesn't have to be perfect

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

but fuck it its just a track bike so doesn't have to be perfect
    Awesome attitude!!

20150611_203931.jpg

Here you go Sicko a pic of my half assed attempt at a shorty.
    I had to cut from the inlet side as that's where the pipe was damaged.
    Still have to fit the end back on it but its proving a pain to get the CF to sit over the metal part and its also painful trying to not get the inner pipe and mesh catching on the packing material.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Ah yeah, not too far off tho! Looks like a pain in the arse but I'm sure it'll come good.
    Might be worth investing in a new Akra sticker, too.

Some updates finally.
    Was waiting on a radiator so that i could start assembling the rest of the bike.

The rad arrived last week so i put some things back together.

Shiny new rad from AF1.

Fitted it up along with the Oil cooler. Had to straighten some of the brackets that were damaged in the crash.
    Bought some new hose clamps and fitted those all up too.

I played around with my Brembo 18x19 M/C as well and its now working well. Some pivot point in it was too tight and not letting the lever spring back and after some sanding and grease its back to normal. Fitted that up too.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

And so i tackled this shorty akra and finally had some success.
    I ended up taking the end cap off and getting it all to line up from there. Was a bit tediuos but i got there. I cocked up the rear metal band a little bit and botched a few of the rivet holes but its all holding together well so it will do.

Gave it a nice polish and clean up and a new akra sticker. Pretty happy with how it turned out but thinking maybe i should of taken a few more cm's off it.

Still a few marks from the crash but looks better than it did

All fitted up on the bike

So on Tuesday ill go pick up some Oil, a battery, brake fluid and coolant. Then after it has its fluids ill take it for a spin around the car park to make sure it works.
    Can't wait. After that slicks and off to get a base suspension setup by Race Centre.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Also re-installed the Annitori QS Pro i bought from Nick earlier in the year.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Very nice mate!! Very nice

Little bit of an Update...its almost finished

Got around to buying a motocell lightweight lithium battery, some Motul 800 oil and coolant.
    Put all that in and fired her up. (it starts thank god) It was running a bit rough but then cleared up. It must of still had some oil in the inlet and exhaust but once that burnt off it revved out cleanly. Before that it was bogging a little and had me bit concerned.

Unfortunately noticed a big oil leak dripping down the side of the rear bank of cylinders. Traced the source and it was coming from the rocker cover gasket...it must of got pinched when the covers went on and was not sitting flush. Called up Dean at Dynoverx and dropped the bike down and he fixed the issue for me.

I thought while it was down there i might as well get him to put it on the dyno and pull a few power runs just to make sure it was running well and had no issues under load and high rpms.

I was quite happy with the results i wasn't expecting heaps as these motors are not a power house but its more than enough.

Dean tells me his dyno reads a bit low but mentioned that it made really good power for a stock bike (slip-on and Race MAP) The only other ape that has made more on his dyno apparently had quite a bit of $$$ spent on it for only marginally better results. All in all happy with the fact that the bike is running well and there are no issues with the power delivery and the A/F ratios are all good in the upper rev range.

158hp

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

As Melbourne weather is so shit and i cant ride this thing yet i took some photos tonight and did a test fit of the race glass.
    All seems to line up well ill just have to figure out whether i keep my side stand (and chop the lower cowl to accommodate this) or just remove the side stand altogether.
    Next step is to bolt up the fairings and then take the bike to RaceCentre and get a baseline suspension setup and some slicks. Then hit Broadford and see how she goes.

I have always wanted to do one of those cutaway photos of whats underneath a bikes fairings so i gave that a shot and it worked out quite well.

And all fitted up. Pretty happy with the look thanks again Nick for the fairings mate

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Yiewwww!!! Mate this looks fantastic. Great effort!!
    Mad action photo skillz too

Yiewwww!!! Mate this looks fantastic. Great effort!!
    Mad action photo skillz too
    +1!

Also, keep the stand. You'll miss it when it's gone... I much prefer removing it when I need to.

Having said that, make sure you remove it at home... last time I did it at the track the stand went MIA.

That. Looks. Amazing!!! How did you get the black background???? Looks absolutely fantastic mate!

If you're gonna race, ditch the sidestand altogether, permanently (except occasionally when it has no fairings and is in the workshop). I've seen too many people at a racemeet that lift the bike off the rear paddock stand and then let the bike crash to the ground on the left because they are used to a sidestand catching the bike!!! If it's gonna only ever be track days then it's probably worth trying to mod the fairing.

gorgeous! shes a beauty of an italian

Nice lighting skills on the pics, be a real man ditch the side stand
    (says the guy who has side stand envy every track day)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    last time I did it at the track the stand went MIA.
    I got that t-shirt too...

Thanks for the compliments guys i cant wait to ride it

That. Looks. Amazing!!! How did you get the black background???? Looks absolutely fantastic mate!

I used this technique called light painting...basically use a tripod set the exposure to around 10-15 secs and walk around the bike painting with light (in this case a LED workshop torch). This was done at night in a dark warehouse with all the lights turned off.

If your in Melb next time your at the Island and staying over night bring your bike around and ill take some shots for you.

This is probably my favourite shot though....yes i'm super mature

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Ok i might take this stand off then. My old track bike had a kick stand and it made life so much easier as finding somewhere to rest the bike while getting the rear stand sorted can be a pain.

Marshy do i need to re-wire the side-stand switch or anything or is it just a case of unplugging it?

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Marshy do i need to re-wire the side-stand switch or anything or is it just a case of unplugging it?
    Two options: just leave the 'push button' actuator attached, and cable tie it out of the way - the O2 sensor wire is ideal. Or cut the wires, strip the ends twist them together, closing the circuit. If you just unplug the switch, the bike will think the sidestand is down the whole time, and won't run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two options: just leave the 'push button' actuator attached, and cable tie it out of the way - the O2 sensor wire is ideal. Or cut the wires, strip the ends twist them together, closing the circuit. If you just unplug the switch, the bike will think the sidestand is down the whole time, and won't run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On my Ducatis I put a U shaped wire into the plug to close the circuit

Top pics, and great build. Always good to see bike builds, good work

Thread Information