Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panigale 899 build

Panigale 899 build

So the next track bike build through the Superbike Source Racing workshop is a near-mint MY15 Ducati 899 Panigale. Minor damage to the dash area only.

Stripped it naked. Charged the battery. It fired right up. Sounds unbelievably good!

Even a minor impact snaps these. No problems a replacement can't fix.

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Wow, even with the front tucked in, it's still a VERY pretty bike!!
    What's the go with the last pic? Has the lower triple taken the brunt of the force or can you see it having been transferred anywhere else?

Nice buy! She's very clean... can't wait to 'help' with testing
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

always liked how the Ducati looks even though I wouldn't dream of owning one

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    1+!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Wow, even with the front tucked in, it's still a VERY pretty bike!!
    What's the go with the last pic? Has the lower triple taken the brunt of the force or can you see it having been transferred anywhere else?

Nice buy! She's very clean... can't wait to 'help' with testing
    It's virtually brand new! The build date is Sept 2014, and it was crashed in the first week of January, so allowing shipping from Italy and then to a local dealership, it's had at most 2 months on the road. All the bolts are as-new shiny, and even the underside of the rear passenger pegs and places like that are absolutely mint. No dash, but it can't have done more than 1,000kms, and I'd guess a fair bit less.

The forks, frame, wheel etc will need to be checked very carefully, but so far it looks like just the lower triple. The fairing stay is a thick metal item, all smashed now of course, but I reckon that took a fair bit of the impact too.

I've never done more than a wheel change on them before, and apart from some bits being a bit hard to get to, I'm actually very impressed. All the plugs on the headlight bit of the wiring harness have descriptive sticky labels on each plug, unlike the Aprilia I'm changing the loom on, where it's just plug and pray!

These are supposed to be fun little bikes. Got a mate who loves his to bits. Though I know of two which I believe were from the first batch which had engine recalls with in a month due to constant oil leaks :S
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Looks good marshy.

Did you buy the Ducati shirt, man bag, over night bag, hat, tooth brush, battery charger

Should be a good build

Assume it can only be a tracky?

Quote Originally Posted by Leezx10r View Post
    Did you buy the Ducati shirt, man bag, over night bag, hat, tooth brush, battery charger
    ^^^^^ This!!
    He does have a rather fetching keyring...

Quote Originally Posted by Leezx10r View Post
    AHAHHAAHHA!! Yep, all ordered. Plus Ducati Corse socks, keychain, and aftershave. I'm going all out

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Assume it can only be a tracky?
    Yep

After the battery was charged, she fired up instantly! Sounds brand new, and very tight. Sounds fricken awesome! The front end is out.... everything looks ok so far, but will come apart and be properly checked.

Should be a little bit of fun. Make sure you get a Ducati sticker for your car as well. A real Ducati owner would also sticker the RSV4s haha

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    After the battery was charged, she fired up instantly! Sounds brand new, and very tight. Sounds fricken awesome!
    Sounds like you're falling in love ... Be bringing XXXitXXX her to Ducati ride days soon!

As a Pani 899 Street Rider and taking it to the track day often as a beginner, I'm keen to see what you do with it. I'm getting ready for the track mods. I will watch this thread with interest.

Haters gonna hate. But it's been bullet proof for me.

Last edited by Row; 03-04-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Sounds like you're falling in love ... Be bringing XXXitXXX her to Ducati ride days soon!
    Rattle rattle rattle

Quote Originally Posted by Row View Post
    As a Pani 899 Street Rider and taking it to the track day often as a beginner, I'm keen to see what you do with it. I'm getting ready for the track mods. I will watch this thread with interest.

You be crazy to track the roady!

Worth considering Nick's once he's tricked it up with all that SuperbikeSource goodness Assuming he's selling it ...

Do they come with a QS as stock, ... rattle, rattle, rattle ... slipper clutch ... ?

Jokes aside, I've heard nothing but good about the baby Pani on the track!
    I can't wait to have a crack

The lower triple, while looking big and very solid, particularly the three-ringed fork bits, is actually lightweight cast magnesium and not overly strong. And the inner bits where it grabs the steering stem have only a couple of small bits of hollow casting to hold it. It looks like a designed weak point to me, what with the headstock area being so massive and strong. Forks are good, wheel is good, it's just that weak casting that's snapped. Pics to follow.

Worth considering Nick's once he's tricked it up with all that SuperbikeSource goodness Assuming he's selling it ...

Do they come with a QS as stock, ... rattle, rattle, rattle ... slipper clutch ... ?
    Yep a QS is stock, as is traction control I read this online earlier about a slipper (I was curious too):

Interestingly, the 899 Panigale is not fitted with a slipper-clutch but instead relies on the bike’s engine braking control. The system monitors crankshaft deceleration under heavy braking and will slightly open the throttle to maintain grip. It works quite well in fast down-changes, though it doesn’t offer the same stability as a full-blown slipper clutch does. It reminds me of the slipper clutches of old -- they slip, but a lot of compression braking still gets through.

Assuming he's selling it ...
    Yah, that's the plan. Unless I really fall in love

QS is standard, no slipper clutch but Yoyodyne make a good one.

P.S: Nick, I would be keen to buy that from you when you're done.

P.S: Nick, I would be keen to buy that from you when you're done.
    No worries, you now have first dibs

AHAHHAAHHA!! Yep, all ordered. Plus Ducati Corse socks, keychain, and aftershave. I'm going all out
    Make sure you rev it for about half an hour in the garages well before you are out on track. I hear Ducati run seminars on this topic.

Looks fresh! keen to see how this develops!

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Make sure you rev it for about half an hour in the garages well before you are out on track. I hear Ducati run seminars on this topic.
    Totes!! I've been practising that in the workshop already

#neighbourlove

sweet build mate cant wait to see how it turns out

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Thanks for reading my article hahaha.... I like the 899 - really well balanced in all areas

Yep a QS is stock, as is traction control I read this online earlier about a slipper (I was curious too):

Interestingly, the 899 Panigale is not fitted with a slipper-clutch but instead relies on the bike’s engine braking control. The system monitors crankshaft deceleration under heavy braking and will slightly open the throttle to maintain grip. It works quite well in fast down-changes, though it doesn’t offer the same stability as a full-blown slipper clutch does. It reminds me of the slipper clutches of old -- they slip, but a lot of compression braking still gets through.

Quote Originally Posted by Penko View Post
    Thanks for reading my article hahaha....
    LOL!! Thanks Alex, I didn't even notice it was yours! Of course, I should've realised because it was so well written

There was one if these upside down on the outside of T5 at EC on Easter Monday.

Looked like a roady not a tracky too!
    Poor bloke.

Was it a red one in green group , someone came off just in front of me . Red flag seemed to take ages , didnt come out till I was going into turn 1 .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakels View Post
    There was one if these upside down on the outside of T5 at EC on Easter Monday.

Looked like a roady not a tracky too!
    Poor bloke.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Was it a red one in green group , someone came off just in front of me . Red flag seemed to take ages , didnt come out till I was going into turn 1 .
    That's the one.

Bugger! Well, have I got a deal for them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stop racing start building

stop racing start building
    Good idea!

As promised, here's the broken triple. Look how little material there is to actually break.

New bits have arrived

Various bits have returned from Laurie (well, it's really just Dave mostly these days, but they've collectively been known as "Laurie" since around the time Noah was considering a career change). It's all now ready to go back together!

More front end bits done, including a brake lever guard. Tank and tail done. It's in danger of looking like a bike!!

As promised, here's the broken triple. Look how little material there is to actually break.

Wow! Really not much there..
    Surely by design so as not to transfer force to more expensive places? Do manufacturers think like that???

Is that a tank cover? I'm pretty new to bodywork for panigales, I didn't know there was one.

Wow! Really not much there..
    Surely by design so as not to transfer force to more expensive places? Do manufacturers think like that???
    1998-2008 Monsters would break (and bend) triple clamp (and oval out steering head some times)
    2009- > Monsters triples are fine but steering head is off frame
    Rebuild 008.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    1998-2008 Monsters would break (and bend) triple clamp (and oval out steering head some times)
    2009- > Monsters triples are fine but steering head is off frame
    Rebuild 008.jpg
    Hmmm, dunno of that's moving forwards if you need a new frame! Would probably rather break a clamp.

Is that a tank cover? I'm pretty new to bodywork for panigales, I didn't know there was one.
    Yes, it's a cover - he fitted it last night.
    Mind you, tank is mint but I think the cover looks great, especially that wee gold accent!

http://superbikesource.com.au/produc...-fairings.html

That's starting to look vary sexy!

Can't wait to see you ride it, we'll have to get lots and lots of photos ... Marshy's gone cwazy!

Yeah! By the time you get the other two cylinders hooked up and running, it should be great!!

Yeah! By the time you get the other two cylinders hooked up and running, it should be great!!

lol

So, the Pani is packed and ready to hit the track in the morning!! Got a dash from the USA. Still waiting on the magnesium front fairing stay to arrive, but managed to fix the old one temporarily. Fitted the rest of the fairings. Fitted 10-lap-old UK Ntecs front and rear (nothing but the best for the Duc). 520 chain comes standard, so gave it some TLC as it's almost new but was a bit dirty. Fiddled with the clickers a bit. Oh, and set the power mode to RACE.

Looks awesome ... make sure someone gets some photos of you on it tomorrow ...
    Last edited by Phat3R; 16-04-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Looks so damn good in those fairings!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it...

Looks bloody fantastic.

Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information