Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
I commented on a CSS FB post this arvo re the sale. My comment was: "Sold out". CSS commented back to watch out for more ... amazing what a 30% price drop will do to the booking numbers ...
But it still didn't sell out! Yellow and Green sold out, but both White and Red still have heaps of spots available (Red didn't even come close to filling up!!).

Chubb, the reasons that SMP is so expensive are twofold, and historic. When the ARDC tendered for ride day operators, they got lots of submissions from the 6 or 7 then-current operators. After reviewing them, they went with the highest price tender (highest by a LOT), rather than as you might expect, one towards the lower end of the price scale. Their ostensible reason for doing this was that ECRD (MEGA) provided a 'premium' service - the CSS coaches for first-timers; more marshals and 'officials' than others; a much higher focus on safety (longer, more structured briefings etc). Whereas ECRD track days used to be a 'premium' track day experience - their big competitive differentiator in the old days was that they allowed much fewer riders overall, so that you got more track time with less crowding, although for a higher price - morphed into the worst of both worlds: an even higher price and an over-emphasis on safety and rules, but without the benefits of reduced numbers and rider tuition.

The second reason is that SMP is more expensive to hire than Broadford, Wakefield etc. In Australia, Phillip Island and SMP are by far the most expensive tracks to hire.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when the product doesn't meet customer requirements, demand falls. ECRD are waaay to reliant on first-timers and non-repeat customers, which can only last so long before they eventually use them all up and numbers dwindle. As is happening now.