Thread: Titanium Bolts & Nuts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Titanium Bolts & Nuts

OK, I'm starting another thread on this as way to both make it easy for other to find info on the matter on the future and to keep Saturnalian's thread from going too off topic (is this even possible in TT?)

For those of you who didn't follow the previous messages, I was interested to know if there was any real benefit in fitting Ti bolts and etc as I given some as part of a deal a while back but never bothered putting them on the bike. Yesterday I got another set of wheels and they came disassembled so I took the opportunity and weighed the Ti Disc Bolts vs the standard ones.

Standard (bit of loctite on it but I compared it against some others with a TON of loctite left on the thread and the scale showed no difference in weight, so I'll assume it's not important)

20150429_125307.jpg

Titanium

20150429_125156.jpg

By looking at the pics, one could be excused for saying "wow... that's heaps lighter!!" but when I consider that the whole front wheel will only carry 10 of those, I'm actually saving 80g max... sure, it's rotating mass but even using that thumb rule of "multiply by 4" it's still only 320g on the front wheel and 128g on the back (plus whatever for nuts). Now, I didn't "really" pay for those 'cause like I said they were part of a package and I was actually interested on the other parts so the bolts and nuts came as a bonus. But if I had to pay what Pro Bolts asks for them I'm pretty sure I'd buy something else instead. I suppose if you're replacing a big part (i.e. exhaust) for Ti it's a different story though.

I didn't weigh the standard nuts 'cause they're all on the carrier and that's not even on the wheel so it'd be a PITA to get them out just to do this... I did weigh the Ti nut in case anyone is interested.

20150429_125129.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 29-04-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Thread Information