Thread: An important announcement

An important announcement

TARMAC Talk - What are we about?

There’s been some negativity on the site lately, and it seems people have become reluctant to post bike stuff that they are tinkering on, or pics of their DIY projects, or noob questions regarding track days or racing. Previously, TT was a hive of thriving discussions about all these things, but over the last six months this has reduced, and it seems to be because of fear of abuse, ridicule or other disparaging comments.

It was always the intention for the forum to be an open and constructive exchange of ideas and general banter. It would be great to restore that intent. With that in mind, I would ask that people generally maintain a positive attitude when posting on the site. Sure, constructive criticism is always welcome, particularly when someone posts something that they might have gotten wrong, and a friendly ‘great effort, but you actually need to do it this way’ kind of response, rather than ‘that’s wrong, you’re an idiot, and I’m not even gonna explain why’. My view is that it’s better to ask a question than do some work on your own motorcycle that might be potentially wrong and dangerous. If people don’t feel comfortable to ask, then we are all worse off. After all, what else is this forum for?

Despite being a strongly vocal supporter of my sometimes-mate Wetty, it hasn’t escaped anyone’s attention that virtually all of these issues have occurred since he joined us. This site is very deliberately not RATs, and yet the attitude on here has become strikingly like RATs since he joined. That stops now. For the first time since TT’s inception, posts have been edited and deleted, and now he sits in a Moderation queue (meaning any posts are held for approval and not posted until approved, or are rejected, by a Mod or Admin). It doesn't seem likely for that to need to be implemented for anyone else, but it will be if needed.

Now, let’s get back to the fun stuff.... discussing our beloved bikes!!

Marshy and the admin team.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Well said Marshy, exactly why everyone left RATs.

As a noob and trying to draw on the wealth of knowledge by all, being made to feel like an idiot is Bulls@#t.

I wasn't on RATS but I think this is great.
    I used to love reading about the various projects people were trying on TT and it's a real shame if people now think they can't show this stuff.
    Nobody is born knowing everything about everything, cutting 33's, so how can any question be a stupid one?
    Here's to Tarmac Talk!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

I'm new on here and only just over a year on the track, I think the forum it tops, I've had heaps of help from members. (I'm Generally posting newbie question ect)

I defiantly want to get down to an ARDC practice day soon, check It out and meet a few faces, and see if I'm up to riding at one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is tip top... I don't mind the odd stab being an ultimate noob, but you're right I'd atleast prefer a constructive one... hahaha

The help sourced from this forum is priceless and we get to ooogle all the build projects to...!!!

Cheers Marshy

bullshit-meter-2.jpg
    no offence, just my opinion.
    Your forum Nick, your commercial enterprise.

Logging off, i guess. Delete at your will.

No problems Jamie. Thanks for contributing, although personally I won't miss your drunken rants.

Just fyi, this isn't a commercial enterprise. I personally pay about $400 a year, plus the initial $400-odd buying the forum software and such. Nobody has contributed a cent over the years (nor do I ask or expect people to). I don't have a 'commercial advertising policy' and I've never charged anyone to post ads or their business promotions etc (another key philosophical between TT and RATs). Nor do I flog my business or products, and I happily let competing businesses (eg Wetty, Tristan, Kaneg etc) derive business from the site.

I tried google ads for a while, to try and offset the hosting costs, but it doesn't seem to work. This is purely a labour of love, as I really really value the friends I make and keep in touch with on the forum. If being nice to each other online doesn't work for you, or anyone else, I'm ok with that.

So Wetty has been relegated just like that for freedom of speech? i understand he can be a little bit negative and truthful( to which some PPL dont want to hear) but really?Public forums are always going to be a point of discussion and they may vary from time to time - but PPL have to stand up for themselves and not go crying to big brother! Lifes not always going to be cupcakes and fairies as you well know... I dont think Wetty should be blame for the overall decline in postings!

For the record its nothing Like RATS, so no need to slag it - RATs just did its time and did it well, plus we both met a lot of good PPL , its just things have moved on and TARMAC is where its at now...

i appreciate your hard work Nick - keep it up

My forum 2c
    The bullshitstops when the clutch drops

Brett

Not sure if you saw what was posted that culminated in this outcome but there is a difference between freedom of speech and slagging/defamatory comments.
    I'm sure it took a lot for Marshy to come to this decision and it would have been easy to ignore it and let it slide.

Life's not daffodils and Roses but we can choose what we want it to be to an extent...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Mick

I had heard chinese whispers of what happened - unfortunate for all involved.

Nick's site and he can do what he pleases - and if its in the interest of keeping things positive and constructive, well so be it - we are all hear for the same reason. I guess my main point was not pinging the lack of postings entirely on Wetty and if PPL have a problem with him , tell him. !!!

In relation to the defamatory remarks about the legalities of individuals enterprises that not my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Torque View Post
    So Wetty has been relegated just like that for freedom of speech? i understand he can be a little bit negative and truthful( to which some PPL dont want to hear) but really?Public forums are always going to be a point of discussion and they may vary from time to time - but PPL have to stand up for themselves and not go crying to big brother! Lifes not always going to be cupcakes and fairies as you well know... I dont think Wetty should be blame for the overall decline in postings!
    Thanks Brett for your comments. Freedom of speech is to protect people from oppressive governments and the fear of persecution! Not an excuse to allow cyber-bullying. Also, despite the forum being completely open to anyone to read, it's a private forum (not public) because you have to be a member to post. And as a forum representing and promoting the sport and hobby of Australian track-based motorcycling, we all get to choose how we are represented on here. We (the collective 'we' meaning the majority of us) have chosen to not accept abuse and derision. I hate to think what our visitor from Afam in the US thought of Wetty's tirade in the sprocket thread. The RATs brand was badly damaged by the treatment of visiting professionals from the industry (remember the Terry Hay fiasco? Or TON?) And there were a string of others, which I don't want to be associated with again.

I didn't mean to sound like I was critical of RATs, as it was a place I loved for many years, despite the issues. Interestingly though, Wetty was forever posting build threads etc that were terrific value and everyone enjoyed. In contrast, I struggle to think of a positive comment he has made during his time here on TT, and as I said before, I've been his biggest supporter on here. The net effect has been very negative, and it was his abuse of me personally yesterday (not someone running to an admin) that was the final straw. I've lost count of the number of people that have mentioned to me in person that they no longer want to post on here due to the strong likelihood of (severely) negative feedback.

Disagreements, heated discussions, differing viewpoints are all welcome, and always will be! The overarching requirement, though, is that it's done with respect. Is it too much to ask that we are all nice to each other? I know that some guy got nailed to a tree about 2,000 years ago for saying how great it would be if we were all nice to each other for a change. I was just hoping we had matured a bit since then

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Thanks Brett for your comments. Freedom of speech is to protect people from oppressive governments and the fear of persecution! Not an excuse to allow cyber-bullying. Also, despite the forum being completely open to anyone to read, it's a private forum (not public) because you have to be a member to post. And as a forum representing and promoting the sport and hobby of Australian track-based motorcycling, we all get to choose how we are represented on here. We (the collective 'we' meaning the majority of us) have chosen to not accept abuse and derision. I hate to think what our visitor from Afam in the US thought of Wetty's tirade in the sprocket thread. The RATs brand was badly damaged by the treatment of visiting professionals from the industry (remember the Terry Hay fiasco? Or TON?) And there were a string of others, which I don't want to be associated with again.

I didn't mean to sound like I was critical of RATs, as it was a place I loved for many years, despite the issues. Interestingly though, Wetty was forever posting build threads etc that were terrific value and everyone enjoyed. In contrast, I struggle to think of a positive comment he has made during his time here on TT, and as I said before, I've been his biggest supporter on here. The net effect has been very negative, and it was his abuse of me personally yesterday (not someone running to an admin) that was the final straw. I've lost count of the number of people that have mentioned to me in person that they no longer want to post on here due to the strong likelihood of (severely) negative feedback.

Disagreements, heated discussions, differing viewpoints are all welcome, and always will be! The overarching requirement, though, is that it's done with respect. Is it too much to ask that we are all nice to each other? I know that some guy got nailed to a tree about 2,000 years ago for saying how great it would be if we were all nice to each other for a change. I was just hoping we had matured a bit since then
    All good Nicky

Interesting read...... bit sad it came to this but fully understand the view points and action taken.... move along now, nothing to see here...

New guys keep posting.. ask away

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I know that some guy got nailed to a tree about 2,000 years ago
    Pics or it didn't happen..
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

You did the right thing Nick... Its like a broken record with wetty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen..
    I'm gonna go with 'it didn't happen'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Torque View Post
    All good Nicky
    Luv ya Bretto

Now I want to know what I missed.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Now I want to know what I missed.
    nothing really, just Wetty being Wetty and rubbing people the wrong way with his cryptic 6 word answers
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

An important announcement

I understand people have different views in life, but it's a small amount of the population that ride bikes, it's a even smaller amount the track and race their bike, these forums are here so like minding people can share there passion.
    I have been in some very poor car forum environments, and never wish to go down that route again.

Thread Information