Thread: Bernie Hatton coaching & set up day Sat 20/6 - No Longer Available

Bernie Hatton coaching & set up day Sat 20/6 - No Longer Available

Bernie Hatton coaching & set up day Sat 20/6

Bernie Hatton coaching and set up day at SMSP this Saturday.
    Green group.
    Looks like I'll have to work and can't go.
    These are normally $279.
    This Saturday also includes an advanced riding theory session Saturday evening normally $159.

All yours for $200

List Date: 6/16/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Bernie Hatton coaching & set up day Sat 20/6
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

Last edited by Jakels; 18-06-2015 at 05:05 PM.

pm sent
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

South Circuit is ummm .... interesting to say the least. I've never ridden sth circuit till today.

Session 1/ 1:06.6

Session 2/ 1:05.4

Session 3/ 1:04.9

Session 4/ 1:04.2

5th session was red flagged, due to an acco, some lady broke her ankle/leg/foot so I heard.

6th cancelled

Overall it was a great day weather wise, and met a few friendly ppl and caught up with some regular folks :-)

btw Jakel ... I never did see your mate there
    visit my page:
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au

No he was sick and bailed.

Good lap times Cam with nice progressive improvement throughout the day.

Great weather... couldn't believe after all the rain we had on Thursday. More of the same again tomorrow I hope!

On the down side .... I lost me GoPro 3 camera
    visit my page:

On the track or after? Worth asking them if anyone handed one in...

So the instruction was ok? Worth the $$$?
    I did Moto dna on the south a few mths back, the video footage and instruction was tops was the 1st time Id seen my self ride. Pre cameras allowed at SMSP.
    I think it was slightly better than CSS, level 3 anyway. Definitely less "formal" but much more tailored
    I really liked the south. (On a 600)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Plumb your description is pretty spot on.

Less formal and more tailored instruction for each individual.

Analysing the photos and lap times between each session help see what your doing and whether you are improving or not.

Metal I'm out there tomorrow and will mount a search mission for your go pro.

Did it come off on track?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    So the instruction was ok? Worth the $$$?
    I did Moto dna on the south a few mths back, the video footage and instruction was tops was the 1st time Id seen my self ride. Pre cameras allowed at SMSP.
    I think it was slightly better than CSS, level 3 anyway. Definitely less "formal" but much more tailored
    I really liked the south. (On a 600)

I fully rate bernie hattons trading/ride days. The instruction are so more relax and easy to understand. The fact that bernie will show you a video of the new drill/technique then you get a crack at just going over that drill gives you massive confidence learning the techniques.
    I found that CSSB was great but more tailored to road riding verses the track orientated coaching you receive from bernie. The super bike is very structured and very rigid. This meant if you hadn't quite picked up the new drill, they wouldn't wait for you. Still a very good product, and you get a free lunch haha bernie also offers a free lunch and if you get the chance to go to the farm with bernie, do it!!

Moto DNA is rubbish. Was deadset a waste of time, money and a day off work. Missing whole sessions because they didn't have an ambulance on stand by further annoyed the heck of me. My miss's also went to the Moto DNA and gained nothing except the experience of riding on a track.

So bernie hatton and the CSSB are highly reccomended, how ever with Moto DNA I would stay well away from if you value your money!
    Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-Man View Post
    On the down side .... I lost me GoPro 3 camera
    Gopro3?

I on the upside I found one

Call me tomorrow and we'll arrange getting it back to you.

Great day today. Bernie and Shawn Gilles were excellent.
    Bernie is a funny fucker too.

Ok... I've heard similar About moto DNA from others. I suppose it comes down to what session your doing. As far as I know there is
    Lite- basically a track day, ask a few question while your in the pits
    2 or 3 levels with classes, that's where I've heard they just show you a video and say try to replicate that.
    And masterclass (what I did) 3-1 student to instructor. I had Pete Goddard, he was great basically gave us a good line for a few laps, then trailed with the camera. After the session we sat down and reviewed each guy, showed me where to break later, better tip in points, ect ect and we did a bit on how to over take better ( fu#%ing motards everywhere on the south circut)
    Oh I got on a mates for free day so was 1/2 price I suppose cost come into expectations a lot as well.

Ill give Bernie a go towards the end of the year, I want to do CSS l4 at PI but when the master class comes up again at 1/2 price is defiantly do it.

Ok... I've heard similar About moto DNA from others. I suppose it comes down to what session your doing. As far as I know there is
    Lite- basically a track day, ask a few question while your in the pits
    2 or 3 levels with classes, that's where I've heard they just show you a video and say try to replicate that.
    And masterclass (what I did) 3-1 student to instructor. I had Pete Goddard, he was great basically gave us a good line for a few laps, then trailed with the camera. After the session we sat down and reviewed each guy, showed me where to break later, better tip in points, ect ect and we did a bit on how to over take better ( fu#%ing motards everywhere on the south circut)
    Oh I got on a mates for free day so was 1/2 price I suppose cost come into expectations a lot as well.

Ill give Bernie a go towards the end of the year, I want to do CSS l4 at PI but when the master class comes up again at 1/2 price is defiantly do it.

Well I was doing their level 3 and that was an F-ing joke as a coaching day. It just ended being a very expensive ride day for me. I didn't receive any coaching, and the bloke who was meant to be filming us forgot to bring his laptop and charge his camera. Had the last session taken away because they didn't have an ambulance on stand by.
    So I'll be sticking to CSSB and bernie from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakels View Post
    Gopro3?

I on the upside I found one

Call me tomorrow and we'll arrange getting it back to you.

THANKS jakels
    visit my page:

Quote Originally Posted by Jakels View Post

This!! I couldn't belive how much time I dropped after listening to what they had teach.

Both incredibly dedicated and went out of their way to explain what I was doing wrong. And if you ever saw me riding, you know that's no small feat...

I've done CSS lv1 and I honestly think I got more out of yesterday.

We did a Moto DNA coach lite day and it was an absolute shit fight. There was no attempt at training at all and they had so many riders on the track at the same time, with way too many numpties mixed in with riders that were 10 to 20 seconds a lap faster, so it was down right dangerous and no fun at all. All he seams to care about is cramming as many riders on the track as possible to maximise his profits. At least Bernie and CSS are well organised and offer coaching that can improve your riding.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Did a MotoDNA day in Brisbane at a closed (small) go kart track at Lakeside. The info was suited for new riders. I didn't get much out of it unfortunately. It seemed quite expensive and there wasn't much 'track day based training', and no cameras or even individual coaching moments. It was quite weak.

I recently did a day with Champions at Queensland Raceway and that was great. Not many in the class and I asked a heap of questions to Brendon Clarke who was a more approachable coach. I got a lot from that.

Did level 1 and 2 with CSS last year. Was very disappointed with the feedback from the instructors, well there isn't any really, . When I asked for their feedback none of them had seen me , or couldn't keep up with me , which means they must be very slow. So i haven't wasted my money on level 3. Going to spend time and money with an ex coach instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    or couldn't keep up with me
    I hear this all the time. It's pretty shit if the instructors are significantly slower than the students! Surely they should be able to implement their own teachings and go faster????

Or the old adage really is true:

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Yeah , I was pretty shocked . When you come back in and they ask about the drill , and then you asked them what they think , and they tell you that , its like WTF am I paying money for

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    Yeah , I was pretty shocked . When you come back in and they ask about the drill , and then you asked them what they think , and they tell you that , its like WTF am I paying money for
    When I did CSS 1and 2. They would ask us how it felt and where we thought needed work or sections we did well. Verry hard to know when your a novice, I thought level 2 was the same, basically as level 1. Was hoping l4 would be better ???

Is Bernie the only one that gives you lap times?

I still reccon the master class with moto DNA was worth the $ (mates fee free) but I'll have to keep that quiet for fear of being ridiculed .... Lol

So How do I find out about getting 1 on 1 tuition? Say at a track day? Some one on here might look after me for track Fees and a bit of cash???

Weekend at Bernies (pun intended) has convinced me do his rider training instead of going to Phillip Island for my Birthday.

If my sponsor coughs up I will still do ASBK @ motoGP though (if I can go fast enough to qualify)

So How do I find out about getting 1 on 1 tuition? Say at a track day? Some one on here might look after me for track Fees and a bit of cash???
    Al Samuals does one on one coaching and will help set your bike up at the same time. He doesn't ride, but watches you ride and manually times you so that you have an indication of how you are progressing. Alex Cuddlin also does one on one coaching, but you pay for his ride day as well as him coaching and he rides with you. Both are great guys that you will learn heaps from and each of them offer very different things. I heard a rumour that Glen Allerton also does rider training, but I don't know the particulars of his training, just that he knows a thing or two about going fast and is a great bloke too. It would have to be at an ARDC day or Wakefield though as he does the suspension stuff at SMSP ride days.

Leanne has done CSS 1 & 2, a day with Alex and a day with Al. She had Louie for her coach at CSS and got a lot out of the two days. When we booked Alex, we shared the day with him and both picked up heaps about our body position as that was the one area he thought we needed to work on the most. Others that have worked with Alex dropped a heap of time on the day, due to improved lines etc. but our times dropped as we worked on the things we learnt from him over the next few ride days. Leanne recently did a day with Al and said she got more from that day than any other rider training she has ever done. Al explains things very well and knows plenty about teaching people to go fast, so she finished the day buzzing about the progress she made and was keen to do another day with him.

I know there are probably more out there, but these guys are the ones we have used and know well enough to highly recommend, so I hope that helps.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Nelso , Roughly what did Al charge for the day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    Weekend at Bernies (pun intended) has convinced me do his rider training
    Yep, same here! Watched some of the footage from the weekend and it was very easy to spot the improvement throughout the day.

Great post too, Nelso! Not only the reviews but you touched on something that I reckon is very important...

Soon after I startef riding I did one of the Circuit Breakers race schools (or whatever they were called) back in the day at Oran Park and I instantly dropped 6-7 secs of my lap time. It was one of the worst courses I attended too though...

They showed us the right lines and even put all the markers on the tarmac so we could follow it. It was helpful at Oran Park but it didn't translate to a much better laptime when I got back to Eastern Creek because most of the improvement came from learning the lines and not to ride better which is something you would carry with you to any track.

At Bernie's they really made sure we understood the why and how, IMO in much easier and logical way than anything I had at CSS. And I had really enjoyed CSS as well.

Have done CSS 1-3 (4 is essentially riding with an instructor watching you working on stuff from 1-3); also done Bernies course 1-3 of 6 and a day in the park with Alex.

It depends on where you are at and how quick you pick up.

CSS - need to start at 1 and work through the numbers..you will be taught some techniques and slowed down via "controls" such as no brakes, 1 gear etc to ensure you work on the drill and the instructor can keep up. L1-L3 give you the drills, L4 is practice of L1-L3 areas needing attention. you can also go out in as many sessions as you can handle (at least that was the case a few years ago)

Bernie H - weekend at Bernies - think of a track day with some coaching thrown in and someone you can talk to about problem areas, etc. Photos are taken and posted for each session to allow you to see what you are doing. you get to take a copy of the photos on ur USB or download from FB.

Bernie H - courses - need to start at 1 and work through the numbers. L1 is the basics - I had my young fella do it with me before he had his Ls and managed to get a good handle on body position, trail braking, clutchless gearshifts etc. classes are around 9-12 people with around 3-4 instructors/ assistants.

A day in the park with Alex- excellent support and guidance. Be prepared to sort out the areas identified (ideally as soon as they are identified) and you will be able to work through a whole heap of areas through the day. Alex has assisted Bernie on many of Bernies schools so the stuff aligns well with what you learn at Bernies.

All have their place depending on where you are at, as Im sure Al S does as well.

A key area is to listen to what is being observed and understand it, discuss it etc then apply the improvement.

I got a lot out of all of the above, and I think they happened in the right sequence for me... CSS first as there were some basics I needed work on, then Bernies courses - mush more tailored to individual needs and skill levels (if Bernie could see you were a more advanced rider he would give you something more advanced to suit), then 1:1 with Alex, which refreshed some soft spots and go me more consistent and built some confidence...

I did the weekend at bernies last weekend after over 2 years away from south circuit and not much track time in that time of late. I also got a lot out of this and got some great feedback to keep me upright from Gilesy and Bernie.

2c

Cheers

Little Mick
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Al Samuals does one on one coaching and will help set your bike up at the same time. He doesn't ride, but watches you ride and manually times you so that you have an indication of how you are progressing. Alex Cuddlin also does one on one coaching, but you pay for his ride day as well as him coaching and he rides with you. Both are great guys that you will learn heaps from and each of them offer very different things. I heard a rumour that Glen Allerton also does rider training, but I don't know the particulars of his training, just that he knows a thing or two about going fast and is a great bloke too. It would have to be at an ARDC day or Wakefield though as he does the suspension stuff at SMSP ride days.

Leanne has done CSS 1 & 2, a day with Alex and a day with Al. She had Louie for her coach at CSS and got a lot out of the two days. When we booked Alex, we shared the day with him and both picked up heaps about our body position as that was the one area he thought we needed to work on the most. Others that have worked with Alex dropped a heap of time on the day, due to improved lines etc. but our times dropped as we worked on the things we learnt from him over the next few ride days. Leanne recently did a day with Al and said she got more from that day than any other rider training she has ever done. Al explains things very well and knows plenty about teaching people to go fast, so she finished the day buzzing about the progress she made and was keen to do another day with him.

I know there are probably more out there, but these guys are the ones we have used and know well enough to highly recommend, so I hope that helps.
    Cheers Nelso, defiantly be interested in booking Alex or someone in early next year, prob split his time / cost with a mate.
    The only thing with Bernie would be starting at level 1. Not that I'm a racer by any means but that has always put me off a touch.

Cheers Nelso, defiantly be interested in booking Alex or someone in early next year, prob split his time / cost with a mate.
    The only thing with Bernie would be starting at level 1. Not that I'm a racer by any means but that has always put me off a touch.

Plumb, I wouldn't let that put you off as you would be surprised at how many fundamentals could be improved. I also thought I read somewhere that he was doing a bootcamp that compress the courses into 4 days at the Gold Coast - might be on his website..
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Nelso , Roughly what did Al charge for the day ?
    $385
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I don't know if he splits the day with others like he did with Leanne and I or if we were a special case. I have only ever seen him work one on on with other people, so it might have been a one off with us, but I guess it's worth asking the question if that's your only option. The thing to consider though, is, there is a limited amount of feedback you can cope with each session and three sessions might not be enough to address all of your riding needs.

Leanne had been riding for over 20 years, had been a riding instructor with Stay Upright, raced for years and was doing 1:41's around the GP track on a 600 when she did her first Superbike School and she picked up heaps of things, including teaching her theory that she never new, reminding her of things she had become complacent about, as well as reaffirming a lot of things she was already doing. You would be surprised at what you will pick up and learn by going back to basics, so don't let that deter you from doing any of the formal training courses.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    ....The thing to consider though, is, there is a limited amount of feedback you can cope with each session and three sessions might not be enough to address all of your riding needs.

Leanne had been riding for over 20 years, had been a riding instructor with Stay Upright, raced for years and was doing 1:41's around the GP track on a 600 when she did her first Superbike School and she picked up heaps of things, including teaching her theory that she never new, reminding her of things she had become complacent about, as well as reaffirming a lot of things she was already doing. You would be surprised at what you will pick up and learn by going back to basics, so don't let that deter you from doing any of the formal training courses.
    This! If you have seen Leanne on the track (especially towelling us up), then the statements above mean a lot. Im sure she will attest to that herself as well.
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

I've been known to give informal free lessons at ARDC days, Plumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    just got to join st George, got my MA but I don't think it's the right one?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    1ST LESSON - stay on the bike - :p

The bullshitstops when the clutch drops

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Torque View Post
    1ST LESSON - stay on the bike - :p

Ahahahahaha!!! Touché.

how are you healing up champ?
    The bullshitstops when the clutch drops

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Torque View Post
    how are you healing up champ?
    Great mate, thanks! I feel like I'm ready to ride again, even though I'm still in a cast It's healing well, and I'm now planning PI at the end of August to return to racing

finally got around to editing my video from that weekend, annoyingly I ran off at the fish hook trying to overtake from too far back and running too narrow.

Good vid, Lawson. How was the coaching? You've done some before, right?
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

not any of their structured stuff (although I really want to now).

It is a case of, you only get anything out of it if you ask specific questions with the coaches, Gylsey helped me a lot on dragging the front into corners and dragging the rear to tighten the corner radius.

Instead of racing Phillip Island I am going to try and do their race school up on the goldie

Thread Information