Thread: Enclosed Trailer

Enclosed Trailer

The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

looks nice Cam.

get under it and look at workmanship. check where you wheel loads will sit and where your tie downs will attach. Also check the gvm and tare weights to make sure you can carry all you need. a 39mm axle with holden bearings is only capable of handling 750kg including weight of trailer. http://www.mullins.com.au/Pdf/Axle_H...city_Chart.pdf

if you are only running 1 bikes (around 170kg) plus spare wheels (say 15kg) plus stands, docks, gear fuel etc, (say 100 to 150kg) you would be around 350-400kg. if trailer tare weight is less than 350kg (ally should be much less) then you are sweet. 2 bikes would push the boundaries a little..

Ally will help with fuel costs. Just make sure you can get you bikes / gear / stands in and you are good to go. Price is reasonable. Plenty out there asking a lot more for a lot less...

cheers

Mick
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Thanks Mick, I'm hoping to check it out tomorrow morning. Needless to say, once I get this, or if I get it, the trailer I have now will be up for sale
    visit my page:
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au

Since I can't open the classifieds section "panjo"

I'll list it here.

8x5 high sided trailer 3mm checker-plate floor.

Comes with Kaneg trailer-Mate
    New Ford stud pattern hubs/bearings
    Rego till Sept 5th
    quick release pivot wheel jockey
    flat 7 pin plug
    led tail lights
    Always garaged

(wheels pictured are not with sale)

Trailer is set up for an 08 R6 with a Pitbull Trailer Restraint system (suit 08+ models) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zK8mEM8d1c

(If you want the restraint system with sale of trailer ... $1350)

without $1100

20150704_134750[1].jpg20150704_125941[1].jpg20150704_125838[1].jpg20150704_125908[1].jpg20150704_134715[1].jpg20150704_134723[1].jpg
    visit my page:

Loving that pitbull I think I'll be investing in one when I upgrade the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang on.... the base trailer you already own is incredibly similar to the one you want to drop $5k on (and yours actually looks better/more solid). Why not spend $1k on getting some walls and a roof added to your existing trailer and pocketing the $3k difference???? Mick or someone would convert it in no time. Save a fortune.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

that just makes too much sense Marshy.. cant be done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-Man View Post
    Quite possibly buying this ...

thoughts???
    The edge of the ramp sits higher than the floor when it is open, so you will likely scrape your belly pan on it. These trailers are usually designed for dirt bikes and you need to have the ramp hinge lower for a road bike, so the ramp sits lower and the belly pan will clear.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    The edge of the ramp sits higher than the floor when it is open, so you will likely scrape your belly pan on it. These trailers are usually designed for dirt bikes and you need to have the ramp hinge lower for a road bike, so the ramp sits lower and the belly pan will clear.
    Marshy did a post of a mod he did to one of his trailers to fix this. apparently even Baddie had a finger in the pie
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Hang on.... the base trailer you already own is incredibly similar to the one you want to drop $5k on (and yours actually looks better/more solid). Why not spend $1k on getting some walls and a roof added to your existing trailer and pocketing the $3k difference???? Mick or someone would convert it in no time. Save a fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    that just makes too much sense Marshy.. cant be done that way.
    While a box trailer can be enclosed, it will still be ultimately a box trailer and will look like a tack on... I have a box trailer (with removable cage, drop down front tailgate and entension/ docks to factor in 2 full size Harleys, a 3 bike flat bed with nose cone, and I am at the point where I will build an enclosed trailer as I don't like the outcome of the afterthought enclosing...

Ideally, you want wheels inside body line to maximise enclosed space, which in the case of modifying a box trailer, would mean the box becomes a limitation. Now this could be modified and a frame extended to the outside line of the guards, but it starts to become a compromise.

now the trailer in the ad has the wheels outside the box, and that still works, you just give up some space. But to enclose the existing box, it will always look like an addition.

this is just a pic I pulled from the web but you get the picture

http://www.adtrailers.com.au/show_pr...railers.php%3F

compared to

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Enclosed-...-/271913915176

Mind you there are a lot of 2nd hand bike trailers asking a lot more than what some of the new ones cost... you need to look at what you need vs want...

I plan to carry 4 bikes plus gear/ tools/ etc so want tandem with electric brakes and around 4-5m bed with 1.9 between guards but would settle for 1.7m, with at least .5 high (prefer 1.8 or tilt up)..now what I just described is in essence an enclosed car trailer.....

It all depends on what Cam is after... something to transport a bike to the track without getting wet?, something light?, brakes?, looks?, visibility?, manouverability?, load capacity or something a bit more... at the end of the day its $$ and functionality, and in some cases, looks.

Cheers

Mick

PS - if Cam was after something with the versatility of a box trailer that could have a lid dropped on it when doing track stuff (or vice versa) then a adding a drop on top to the existing trailer would be feasible, as long as the design incorporates the sealing at the interface to keep it water tight.
    Last edited by Little Mick; 04-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Here is a box trailer for sale on eBay at the moment that has been enclosed and looks like a good result.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181791750899

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    Ideally, you want wheels inside body line to maximise enclosed space
    This is the deal-breaker for me on the one that Cam linked. Not sure why you'd give up a third of the width by putting the walls inside the wheels. And not for that money.

But hey, to each their own.

Marshy did a post of a mod he did to one of his trailers to fix this. apparently even Baddie had a finger in the pie
    http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...9-Trailer-mods

metal my mate has a dirt bike trailer for sale, easily acoomodates two bikes blah blah...

he is after 4K + but its easily a better trailer than whats been posted, ill see him tomorrow so ill post some pics for you bud. If I was still in the country id buy it in a heart beat, make no sense for me though given im here til Friday and no longer have a bike ��

Quote Originally Posted by danga View Post
    metal my mate has a dirt bike trailer for sale, easily acoomodates two bikes blah blah...
    Danga, I have a mate looking for a good enclosed trailer too. Pls send me the details asap

Quote Originally Posted by danga View Post
    metal, my mate has a dirt bike trailer for sale, easily accommodates two bikes blah blah ...

He's after 4K + but it's easily a better trailer than what's been posted, i'll see him tomorrow so i'll post some pics for you bud.
    Thanks Danga
    visit my page:

shit, I was looking at that one a lil while ago actually, but just didnt have that amount of coin the guy was asking then.

While a box trailer can be enclosed, it will still be ultimately a box trailer and will look like a tack on... I have a box trailer (with removable cage, drop down front tailgate and entension/ docks to factor in 2 full size Harleys, a 3 bike flat bed with nose cone, and I am at the point where I will build an enclosed trailer as I don't like the outcome of the afterthought enclosing...

Ideally, you want wheels inside body line to maximise enclosed space, which in the case of modifying a box trailer, would mean the box becomes a limitation. Now this could be modified and a frame extended to the outside line of the guards, but it starts to become a compromise.
    I prefer an enclosed trailer because of the added security benefits it has over the conventional box trailer. NOT TO MENTION THE OVERALL LOOKS ;-)

My intentions are, to become fully self sufficient (meaning, no need for future accommodation when travelling to Vic or Wakey for the entire weekend)

btw Marshy ...

Where did you get these restraints from, and do you think they're much better than the Pitbull Trailer Restraint, that I currently have??

nt-6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Metal-Man; 05-07-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added correct pic
    visit my page:

visit my page:

The T-rex seem to get rid of the attaching the bracket to the bike step, before you get in the trailer, that the Pitbull needs.
    They're pretty neat looking, installed and I hear they're a fair bit cheaper than the Pitbulls too...

Nelso is right about the door on that enclosed one too. It'll catch the belly pan.
    If you're chasing a new one getting knocked up, I'm sure they'd move the hinges - a la Marshy/Baddie's job.
    If you're not in a rush tho there's bound to be a second hand one that'll come up, already done if you keep looking...
    I was on the lookout for mine for a couple of months and when the right one came up, I jumped on it.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Here it is dude...

electronic brakes, duratalk independent suspension etc...

If interested let me know I'll pass you on his details

I don't know s÷%_ about trailers but that one looks great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I don't know s÷%_ about trailers but that one looks great!!
    +1

nice trailer Danga

Nick, thanks for the ebay links, an yea I've already seen them. One is in Vic, the other near Tamworth, I think. (both trailers are pretty good though).
    visit my page:

Thread Information