Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Red Baron has arrived

The Red Baron has arrived

Took delivery of the Red Baron this morning. Having a crack at ze german for a change....

I'm fairly sure there are supposed to be some bits in here, and a cover over them.

A couple of nice surprises.... rad guard and K&N filter.

2 hours later:

Bummer. Dave should be able to fix this though.

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Will be very interested to watch this one take shape!

Ooooooh!! Exciting!
    Not too bad, damage wise.... What stock bits do you think will need replacing apart from Stem and Stator cover?
    Then what's on the list as far as fast bits go??
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Just properly checked the head stem and it looks fine. First impressions were misleading, because someone hadn't done up the steering head bearing nuts correctly, and there was play in the headstock. Once everything was out and able to be examined properly, it's all ok. The bearings look very fresh.

In playing the 'what caused the crash' guessing game, I'm gonna suggest that the steering head bearings were replaced, but not adjusted correctly, which would've caused a thunking in the headstem while riding (it was massively noticeable just wheeling it into the workshop). This sort of problem led to a recent crash at the Creek by a mate on a Beemer, so it might be the cause here too.

Nice mate.

Are those rags the new GB racing engine covers??? Look, I don't mean to be rude, but all your RSV4 builds laid waste to my thought process and now I own one. I can't afford a beemer too...

Had a look first hand this afternoon, looks like a great build thread, plus Christmas in July hehe

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Look, I don't mean to be rude, but all your RSV4 builds laid waste to my thought process and now I own one. I can't afford a beemer too...
    Ahahhahahaahahhahahaahaaha!!!! Sorry about that

Although it's still entirely possible I won't like it. I still love love love the RSV4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Ahahhahahaahahhahahaahaaha!!!! Sorry about that

Although it's still entirely possible I won't like it. I still love love love the RSV4s.
    Steady....... You haven't even got her in the sack yet and you're making assumptions about her.
    At the very least it will be entertaining
    Btw I'm pretty sure I've a stator case.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    You haven't even got her in the sack yet
    Not yet, but I've been tenderly exploring her nether regions, and so far I like what I see

Welcome to ze dark side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice! Hopefully there isn't too much crap in the engine

sweet
    you sure are lucky getting to build and test out all these amazing machines

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

There was a lonely looking BMW at the back of the SSR workshop and I DO love a good build.... So, with Marshy having permanently de-camped back to Aprilia and me keen to get my teeth stuck into a litre bike, please make welcome my new race bike!!

Although it's still in bits, it's actually not too far off being ready to ride. That being said, it'll be my new number one bike so I've begun ordering some some fast bits to make it even more awesomer!

It took a long while of thinking before I arrived at the BMW. As some people know, I was moments away from buying a 2015 R1 after having ridden one on the track and had my face melted!!
    The trouble with a brand new bike tho is that they cost a lot! Not only the outright buy price but everything required to make it race fit, was adding up; and with spares also being scarce and expensive, it would be catastrophic if I crashed it...
    The other major factor is, who would I race?! The 2015 R1 would only be eligible for Unlimited class. With no options for cross entering, I'd be spending race weekends watching everybody else race!!

So, before too long, the R1 was ruled out. I ended up making a shortlist of what I wanted from a litre bike and having REALLY enjoyed riding a couple of Marshy's build BMW's, this seemed like an excellent choice.
    Thanks heaps to Marshy, Wolfie57, Stevem and Senator8 who have all listened to endless BMW questions and given me some great setup ideas!
    Stay tuned as the shiny bits start to arrive!!

WOOOHOOO!!

🏻🏻🏻🏻🏻🏻🏻

Congrats Owen, this is going to be epic 🏻

Unreal mate! Look forward to seeing this on track!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    There was a lonely looking BMW at the back of the SSR workshop and I DO love a good build.... So, with Marshy having permanently de-camped back to Aprilia and me keen to get my teeth stuck into a litre bike, please make welcome my new race bike!!

Although it's still in bits, it's actually not too far off being ready to ride. That being said, it'll be my new number one bike so I've begun ordering some some fast bits to make it even more awesomer!

It took a long while of thinking before I arrived at the BMW. As some people know, I was moments away from buying a 2015 R1 after having ridden one on the track and had my face melted!!
    The trouble with a brand new bike tho is that they cost a lot! Not only the outright buy price but everything required to make it race fit, was adding up; and with spares also being scarce and expensive, it would be catastrophic if I crashed it...
    The other major factor is, who would I race?! The 2015 R1 would only be eligible for Unlimited class. With no options for cross entering, I'd be spending race weekends watching everybody else race!!

So, before too long, the R1 was ruled out. I ended up making a shortlist of what I wanted from a litre bike and having REALLY enjoyed riding a couple of Marshy's build BMW's, this seemed like an excellent choice.
    Thanks heaps to Marshy, Wolfie57, Stevem and Senator8 who have all listened to endless BMW questions and given me some great setup ideas!
    Stay tuned as the shiny bits start to arrive!!
    Awesome mate. So are you selling up the 2 r6s then ?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Top stuff!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jaswib View Post
    Awesome mate. So are you selling up the 2 r6s then ?
    Yeah, unfortunately it's time to say goodbye to my beloved R6's
    Just need to find some time to take pictures and I'll put them up!

So u looking for a 2nd BMW or going to run one bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    So u looking for a 2nd BMW or going to run one bike?
    Nah, no plans for a second bike at the moment. The focus/funds will be allocated to getting this up to spec.
    See what happens after that tho...

See what happens after that tho...

We all know how this ends! hahaha

Congrats on the new bike!

Lol. I'm hearing you about the new bikes and costs though
    I've pretty decided to keep the ape so I can enter club sport as well. ( hopefully where I'm not last)
    The trailers packed now with two different bikes, there gear everywhere.
    Oh well...

First world problems...

Well done Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    First world problems...

This!!

Nice Owen!!

Achtung!!!! Remember we do not mention the war. Welcome.

Sieg Heil Owen.

Given your reasons for not buying the R1, limited categories:
    Can I ask why you didn't go RSV4?

Surely you weren't worried about the connection people may have made between you and Marshy being on the same bike?😃

Attached Images Attached Images

That's hilarious!!

Great question! I had ridden the RSV4 a couple of times and I really liked it. There were a couple of reasons I wasn't sold on it tho. Firstly the engine and power.
    The V4 is an interesting engine but to me it didn't feel and sound quite right in comparison to the inline four I've always had. Also, pre 2015 and they're down on power up against it's competitors.
    The other reason is the size and feel of the Aprilia. It feels small and chuckable, much like the R6.
    If I'm totally honest tho, the 'unstable' style of the R6 took a LONG while to get used to and I'm thinking the more planted nature of the BMW might suit my natural style even better.... At least thats what I've currently justified....
    Who knows tho. What I do know is that both have an excellent package and either will be a bit of a learning curve.
    You're right, It would have been fun to be on the same bike as Marshy, so we're going to see about getting a pillion seat added for the remainder of the season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakels View Post
    Sieg Heil Owen.

Given your reasons for not buying the R1, limited categories:
    Can I ask why you didn't go RSV4?

Surely you weren't worried about the connection people may have made between you and Marshy being on the same bike?😃

we're going to see about getting a pillion seat added for the remainder of the season!!
    You know you soooo like riding bitch......

The SSR workshop has said goodbye to a few bikes recently so I was finally able to get at the BMW to get started on the build!!
    First up, relatively simple, was enabling the 4th riding mode 'Slick Mode' which has the most aggressive power delivery and least amount of TC etc.
    All that's needed is an $80 BMW 'Red plug' on the end of a socket on the loom... This bike didn't have one so I thought I'd get creative...

It turns out it's just a 100Ohm resistor in the plug so a quick visit to the components department and we were good to go!!

Testing it works...

Then remove the socket, re-terminate, heat shrink and she's a goodun!

On the subject of electronics.... One of the big reasons I wanted to get a litre was to have some electronics to get stuck in to..
    After a fair bit of research, I settled on a combination of BMW & Aftermarket ECU Flash and electronics upgrade.
    Here's what'll happen, all controlled via the BMW Race Calibration Kit Software:

Proven WSBK/MotoGP mapping including the following optimised functions
    * injection
    * ignition
    * airbox funnel switching
    * traction-control (gear-dependent, wheely-detection for optimised slip calculation)
    * quick shifter (reduced shift duration)
    * engine rpm limitation with soft-cut
    * e-throttle (independent in riding modes)
    * launch control (also in 2. gear)
    * engine brake (gear dependent)
    * DTC (dynamic traction control)
    * ABS
    * PIT rpm-limiter
    * read/delete ECU error-memory
    * clear adaptation values

The downside is that the ECU has to be sent to flippin Germany! But with a new kid just arrived, time is currently on my side!

Next up was the fuel tank. I love me some quick-pour action so I nibbled out the tank internal, ready for the new cap....

Quick release fuel cap fitted...

Booom!!

Last thing for now is the exhaust. It came with an Akrapocvich end can and the electronics can be mapped to it so all I needed was a bit of a de-cat and I'd be good to go.

I set to work with the angle grinder and saved about 20kg in the process!

On goes the mid-pipe...

If you don't own one of these badboys, GET ONE!! The right angled power wrench made short work of those header nuts that are normally a BITCH!!

There's a bit more work to do before I put the shiny end can on but I'm pretty happy with the progress so far!!

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing this out on track!

That's a sweet update Owen! It's all coming together mate 🏻

The new Ecu updates and the flexibility it will give you, sounds amazing!

Thanks chaps, I can't wait to have a crack on it!!

Looking good Owen!!!!

I'm Interested the fuel tank mod. I've Got the same issue with the R1 did u just do it upside down then give it a good clean out after? Or was there more to it?

Looks awesome Owen very jealous. Sooo when i hit a 39 can i get one to. ☺☺

Noice handy work there Owen.

Sooo when i hit a 39 can i get one too
    That's how it works, Jase. So giddy up mate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Looking good Owen!!!!

I'm Interested the fuel tank mod. I've Got the same issue with the R1 did u just do it upside down then give it a good clean out after? Or was there more to it?

Yeah, you're on the right track. I totally drained it first, removed the fuel pump then fixed a rag on the underside of the work area.
    After I was done, I air cleaned the surface then removed the rag. Inside I rinsed out with a bit of fuel then again some air to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
    Then put the clean fuel pump back in, new cap on and it's good to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    Noice handy work there Owen.
    Cheers Marcus!!

Sooo when i hit a 39 can i get one too
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    That'show it works, Jase. So giddy up mate!!!

Totes mate, we're waiting!!

Looks awesome Owen very jealous. Sooo when i hit a 39 can i get one to. ☺☺

You're not too far away!

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    You're not too far away!
    Me plus 1000 equals high side city population meeeee. 😑

Thanks to Rancell, I got tagged on a post of some suspension going cheap in WA.
    I'm not sure the guy knew what he had as it was just listed as 'Bitubo Suspension'.
    Turns out that I'd seen the guy on the grid at ASBK and he had been swapping paint with Marshy all series.
    He's endorsed by K-Tech and the Bitubo came on a bike he'd bought, so he just wanted rid of it.
    Turns out it's TOP OF THE LINE WSBK spec Bitubo ECH29 Gas Karts and an XXF31 V2 Mono Shock!!

I've just taken delivery of it and it looks flippin mint!!

Since I bought it, I've been in touch with Bitubo HQ who have been very helpful in hooking me up with base settings for oil height, shock length and even clicker settings to get me started. SUPER stoked with this find and I can't wait to get them fitted up!!

Awesome find!
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

That's unreal Owen! Good score mate.

Niiice! Love a good score!

Ultra cheep cheep, too. Ultra ultra. Nice bit of kit. Wouldn't mind trying some on an Ape one day.

Thanks to Rancell, I got tagged on a post of some suspension going cheap in WA.
    I'm not sure the guy knew what he had as it was just listed as 'Bitubo Suspension'.
    Turns out that I'd seen the guy on the grid at ASBK and he had been swapping paint with Marshy all series.
    He's endorsed by K-Tech and the Bitubo came on a bike he'd bought, so he just wanted rid of it.
    Turns out it's TOP OF THE LINE WSBK spec Bitubo ECH29 Gas Karts and an XXF31 V2 Mono Shock!!

I've just taken delivery of it and it looks flippin mint!!

Since I bought it, I've been in touch with Bitubo HQ who have been very helpful in hooking me up with base settings for oil height, shock length and even clicker settings to get me started. SUPER stoked with this find and I can't wait to get them fitted up!!
    Glad it worked out buddy!

Thread Information