Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyres

Do they still make the treaded 190 UK? That thing was AWESOME and a bit more user friendly than the slick... haven't seen one for ages though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Do they still make the treaded 190 UK? That thing was AWESOME and a bit more user friendly than the slick... haven't seen one for ages though
    I think so, but they were always a little bit more expensive than the slick, which hurt the wallet even more.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I had a rear last me quite a bit though... and the fronts are like the highlander of the front tires. So if they're only a little more expensive I reckon they'd be a good choice. Not to mention that you wouldn't have worry so much about geometry changes and other minor setup issues like trying to find out how to get the 195/70(65??) to fit in your swingarm without adding a link to the chain.

Hey guys. Managed to wear our the left side of my supercorsa rear on the weekend. Got a free used dunlop KR449 rear when me and no_style bought our new trailer. There is a guy I have found selling dunlop KR106 fronts for a decent price so thinking about grabbing one. Will that mix and match ok with the KR449 rear?
    Other option is if anyone has a used but in in ok nick supercorsa or superbike rear they are willing to let go for a decent price since my supercorsa front is fine would be good to. PM me if you are interested in getting rid of one.
    No job + track days = no new tyres lol
    Last edited by KANGA; 23-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Hey guys. Managed to wear our the left side of my supercorsa rear on the weekend. Got a free used dunlop KR449 rear when me and no_style bought our new trailer. There is a guy I have found selling dunlop KR106 fronts for a decent price so thinking about grabbing one. Will that mix and match ok with the KR449 rear?
    Other option is if anyone has a used but in in ok nick supercorsa or superbike rear they are willing to let go for a decent price since my supercorsa front is fine would be good to. PM me if you are interested in getting rid of one.
    No job + track days = no new tyres lol
    KR106 front with KR449 rear work well together. Plenty of us have run that combination.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    KR106 front with KR449 rear work well together. Plenty of us have run that combination.
    Awesome, cheers mate! Nice meeting you yesterday, always nice putting a face to a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    +1. This is better than the KR 449 rear and the matching KR448 front!!

Next question since I'm trying to work on the cheap, apparently I'm a bit of a wuss on right hander and the supercorsa has a lot more meat on that side. I know that your not supposed to flip treaded tyres because they won't push away water properly. Since i have no intention of running it in the rain would I be ok with flipping it or are there more reasons then just the water issue to take in to consideration with treaded tyres?
    Obviously I don't want to risk crashing because I cheaped out on tyres but if it seems relatively risk free it might be an option.

I flipped the supercorsa no worries

For the rear, flip away! Fronts can be flipped too, but it depends on the brand/model.

I accidentally flipped front Pirelli Superbike SC1 ... didn't seem to effect things. Well I did bin it but it was the rear that let go and it was right way round.

Someone should start up a tyre exchange program between left and right hand circuit riders.
    Last edited by Phat3R; 23-12-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Affect Effect

Sahweeetttt!!!

Right me again. So ordered a second hand set of superbike slicks of fleabay. Unfortunately didn't check to much on the specifications of tyre size for them. They are 200/60. Given I'm on a zx6r with a 5.5 inch wide rim and pirelli recommends a 6inch wide rim is it a big no no to try and run them?
    Last edited by KANGA; 08-01-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Ed has run a 200 in the past

Not the Pirellis... IIRC they're not meant to be used on a 5.5 rim

In that scenario, would the US Dunlop NTEC be alright?
    I read a spec for these that also recommends a 6" rim width, but listed the permitted rim width as 5.5-6.25", so I assume they're safe on a 5.5" rim, but perhaps you don't get optimal handling or wear from them or something. Would that be a fair assumption?

Yep, Ntecs are fine. I had all nations and formats and they all fitted just fine.

I got a US 200 on at the moment

R6
    Just wondering, are the pirelli tyres the world superbike and supersport guys use the same as the ones we get off the shelf??

Im assuming not, and they would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Just wondering, are the pirelli tyres the world superbike and supersport guys use the same as the ones we get off the shelf??
    Not even close. In addition, there are different levels of tyre for different teams/riders (not that there's supposed to be). I heard some battling aussies were struggling to get the better tyres.

Nothing is as it seems.... allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Not even close. In addition, there are different levels of tyre for different teams/riders (not that there's supposed to be). I heard some battling aussies were struggling to get the better tyres.

I thought the superstock ones where? I know for sure the big boys aren't Steve Martin rattles of these different compound names

Why am I not surprised, wonder what the big boys pay for the special compounds.

R6

Yeah thought so. Know a couple of fellas that know a couple of fellas in the US motocross scene and they reckon there biggest advantage from the common Lad is the tries they run. Full custom for the top riders from track to track.

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Right me again. So ordered a second hand set of superbike slicks of fleabay. Unfortunately didn't check to much on the specifications of tyre size for them. They are 200/60. Given I'm on a zx6r with a 5.5 inch wide rim and pirelli recommends a 6inch wide rim is it a big no no to try and run them?
    I run a Pirelli 200 series SC1/2/0 no problem.
    Going back to 180/60 for the supercorsa's for PI Pirelli round.
    Isle of Man TT Apprentice.
    Racing... it's life. Everything else is just waiting.
    2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 Race bike -SOLD
    2010 Kawasaki ZX6R Race bike (my chariot for the IOMTT)

What he said ^^

200s are fine on a 600. TBH, they make a better shape - more rounded for extra turn - by being pulled in by the narrower rim.

Wouldn't that equate to less contact patch since the tyre is being pinched?

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    I ran a 180 for half a day, then changed to the 200. Personally found the 200 be more stable when leaned over, then when coming out of the corner under hard power, that's when you need a contact patch and let me just say, it's orgasmic!! haha

Hmmm interesting.

I tried moving to a 190 (let alone a 200) and set the geometry for the bigger rubber.

Bike handled like crap was sluggish and I lost time! Couldn't get the power down as it kept spinning up.

Went back to a 180 went went quicker ! Figure that !

Not necessarily. The tyre will deform and flatten just at the contact patch (and a bit around it) as the weight of the bike loads the tyre under power. This is even more pronounced in low-pressure tyres, which use a stiffer sidewall and more deformable contact surface (for exactly this reason). But the overall more rounded shape contributes to the handling on tip-in, where the tyre is unloaded and therefore not deformed into a flat pancake.

Your error might have been in changing the geometry at all. I used to do that, but discovered it didn't really have the effect I was hoping for. I had better results just leaving the geometry alone, even when switching between ultra tall UK ntecs and the old small bridgestone 180 R04s. The difference in height between the two was 20mm, from memory (which is 10mm in real terms, as you only measure 'half' - ie from the ground to the swingarm pivot). What you compensate for in ride height, you might lose in tyre shape and position of the contact patch.

Your error might have been in changing the geometry at all. I used to do that, but discovered it didn't really have the effect I was hoping for. I had better results just leaving the geometry alone, even when switching between ultra tall UK ntecs and the old small bridgestone 180 R04s. The difference in height between the two was 20mm, from memory (which is 10mm in real terms, as you only measure 'half' - ie from the ground to the swingarm pivot). What you compensate for in ride height, you might lose in tyre shape and position of the contact patch.
    Yep, I left the geometry alone. Wanted to see how the bike reacted to the tyre change with the setting I had. Only had to change rear rebound and it was sweet!

Yep, I always like the 200 on the ZX6R... I agree 100% with Grant re the bike feeling planted and not spinning. Weirdly enough, one of the corners I felt the 200 helped the most was T2!!

But then again, I didn't like it on the R6. Both 100% stock. I do think the 190 felt better at WP for some reason though.

Anyone know much about Metzlers?
    The race series I am entering next year is metzlers only. I have done a cold slippery day on a set of k2's, seemed ok but first ride on a new bike so wasn't pushing anywhere near enough to feel tyres proper like.

The racetecs are a good tyre.. They are similar to the pirellis but slightly harder carcass.. Pirellis grip better but doesnt last as long. All in all good tyre.

K1 front and K2 rear works well.. hot weather go K1.

Cheers dude. basically, k2 = cold track, k1 = warm/hot track?
    Good to hear the wear is gradual. With about 8 rounds in season cost is a concern.
    Not expecting it to be hot exactly. First few rounds might still have snow on the circuit, come summer I might get one day where need to run k1.

Go buy them from Craig White.. cheap cheap..

Sounds great, however shipping might exceed cost of tyres! Im in London.

James - could you please post the links to the comp you are looking at doing. Be interesting to see the circuits ... all over the UK?

Found a good price on Dunlop D211 GP-A tyres. Anyone used these? http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ace/d211-gp-a/

I used the D212s.. farking great tyre!!

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/...212_GP_Pro.jsp

How do they wear compared to the d211? The dunlop guy tried to get me to buy another d211 and said the d212 wears very quickly

never used the d211..

also to consider how long is a piece of string... some people smooth on the throttle get more life, some people hard on the throttle and spin it up then its gonna wear out quicker... your pace comes into play as well

It's grip versus longevity, too. The 211 lasted longer but had less outright grip, compound for compound.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    How do they wear compared to the d211? The dunlop guy tried to get me to buy another d211 and said the d212 wears very quickly
    It very well may, but it's hard to tell because they will tell you whatever to sell what they want sadly.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    It very well may, but it's hard to tell because they will tell you whatever to sell what they want sadly.
    exactly what I thought

but the 211 beat you last time

211 heat cycle much better , 212 only good for 1 day , days 2 just spin , but it does depend how quick your lapping .

Quote Originally Posted by WETTY View Post
    but the 211 beat you last time

211 heat cycle much better , 212 only good for 1 day , days 2 just spin , but it does depend how quick your lapping .
    correction the 211 only beat me on the Sunday... it lost Saturday...

i did say LAST time!!!!!!

did you find the 212 was ok on 2nd day ? did you use it for 2 days ?

lol they did hold up well.. but after about 4 heat cycles they're pretty much spinning up

lol they did hold up well.. but after about 4 heat cycles they're pretty much spinning up
    4 cycles is 1 day. or is a heat cycle to you 1 day?

one day to me

Thread Information