Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New toy......

New toy......

So it might look like just another RSV4, but this one is a bit special. As we speak I'm on my way back from a trip to Wagga to pick up this very sought-after RSV4.

It's a 2015, built as a racebike by the Aprilia race factory in Noale, Italy (no road stuff like smog gear, or key/immobiliser). It's fitted with APX electronics (the WSBK stuff), and blueprinted before it left the factory. I've been wanting this bike since Liam bought it new earlier in the year. But I had to wait until he switched to the new R1 before he would part with it.

First outing is tomorrow at the Creek!! Can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

OMG, this is so good!! Can't wait to see it.
    Be keen to hear how the increase in horsepower goes too!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Oh,Good luck with that. You will get to know Marco Bellmonte now, If you dont already know him
    Last edited by Kimbo; 01-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    Oh,Good luck with that. You will get to know Marco Bellmonte now, If you dont already know him
    What are you saying Kimbo? Reliability?

Will talk to you at EC . The guys you got it off are great people. But I think you are going to have to stay on top of it. It's not a normal bike, and it needs a lot of knowledge to keep it going ,more the electronics side of it, Dave Ward is the best guy around as you already know

WTF! That's epic nick, really really cool mate 🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    Will talk to you at EC . The guys you got it off are great people. But I think you are going to have to stay on top of it. It's not a normal bike, and it needs a lot of knowledge to keep it going ,more the electronics side of it, Dave Ward is the best guy around as you already know
    Ummmm have you, like, met Marshy??
    A super special bike with a rabbit hole of set-up options and complex needs sounds like a match made in heaven, to me!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Yep Sicko I have ,

Drool

Very nice. Keep us updated it on how good it is.

I can't keep up with all your purchases. That looks well noice though.

That looks good mate!!! Does it have the wsbk motor in it????

That is EPIC.
    Can't wait to hear how it goes!
    2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Nice buy Nick, but aren't you fast enough already

Soooooooooo no more S1000s? Or you riding both?

So you couldn't wait eh! and did a deal to pick it up half way?
    see you tomorrow for it's first run ;-)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

WTF.......

Test Ride Plz

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    I can't keep up with all your purchases. That looks well noice though.
    Thanks mate Only some purchases are for keeping. Some are for building and making other people happy

Quote Originally Posted by Button699 View Post
    That looks good mate!!! Does it have the wsbk motor in it????
    Thanks mate! It's just the stock 2015 motor (which is essentially last year's wsbk motor, so Aprilia could keep winning with the change to more production-based regs). But it's been blueprinted by the race factory, so it should be even better than a stock one

Quote Originally Posted by dadat178 View Post
    Nice buy Nick, but aren't you fast enough already
    I need to compensate for getting older and slower with more power, Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Soooooooooo no more S1000s? Or you riding both?
    Nah, I'm selling the Beemers. I can't say enough good things about them (the motor is astonishingly powerful, the electronics are simply the best I've ever used or heard about, and the brakes are unbelievable), but they are big and powerful..... and it turns out I'm a bit of a wuss. I've been a 600 rider most of my life, and only the Aprilia got me off my beloved R6. And only because it feels like a 600, handles like a 600, and doesn't have too much power. The Beemer was too much for me. I reckon the new Ape will add the few extra ponies I was looking for, without sacrificing all the stuff I like about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    So you couldn't wait eh! and did a deal to pick it up half way?
    see you tomorrow for it's first run ;-)
    Exactly! Actually, Rick W was nice enough to offer, as he knew I wanted to ride it next weekend for St George. Damn decent of him, because it was further for him than me, by quite a bit. Great community, this one

See ya tomorrow! We are gonna pit next to Glenn Allerton's suspension garage, so 19-20 ish, or whatever the garage numbers are there. The race-tower side of GASD, anyway. Come in with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Test Ride Plz

Have fun Nick ... that's a cool new toy!

Faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrkkkkkk!!!! Woohoo!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post

Sounds like your liking the new toy! More details please

you sound excited there marshy .

Yeah, it's pretty good

To be honest, it's not too different to the earlier RSV4. It just has more top-end power, and it spins up more quickly above 9k. There are little things too, like the gearbox internal ratios are different (better in some places, and worse in others, so far). The brakes are very noticeably better, which will require a bit of investigation to figure out why (to potentially replicate on the earlier model).

Then there's the electronics. Farkin tops! Again, a few tweaks needed, but the potential is huge. Auto-blip clutchless downshifts. Race-dash, pit limiter, adjustable engine braking (on the fly), multiple maps, TC etc etc. Oh, and it automatically engages Launch Control when you come to a stop and engage 1st gear!

But you can add all this to an earlier model too.

I was impressed with the suspension setup too. Again, probably some small tweaks needed (I didn't even set sag or change the clickers), but it was pretty damn good. Ohlins 30mm carts in the front and a TTX GP rear. I'm not usually a fan of either the TTX rear or the 30mm NIX carts, but they were pretty good. The steering damper felt a bit too soft, but when I went to adjust it, it was already on full hard. Weird.

Yeah, it's pretty good

To be honest, it's not too different to the earlier RSV4. It just has more top-end power, and it spins up more quickly above 9k. There are little things too, like the gearbox internal ratios are different (better in some places, and worse in others, so far). The brakes are very noticeably better, which will require a bit of investigation to figure out why (to potentially replicate on the earlier model).

Then there's the electronics. Farkin tops! Again, a few tweaks needed, but the potential is huge. Auto-blip clutchless downshifts. Race-dash, pit limiter, adjustable engine braking (on the fly), multiple maps, TC etc etc. Oh, and it automatically engages Launch Control when you come to a stop and engage 1st gear!

But you can add all this to an earlier model too.

I was impressed with the suspension setup too. Again, probably some small tweaks needed (I didn't even set sag or change the clickers), but it was pretty damn good. Ohlins 30mm carts in the front and a TTX GP rear. I'm not usually a fan of either the TTX rear or the 30mm NIX carts, but they were pretty good. The steering damper felt a bit too soft, but when I went to adjust it, it was already on full hard. Weird.
    all these new electronic gadgets mite be good to have . but I think it takes the fun out of riding

So how ya intendin to win races on the new toy Nick?

You were sayin it had less powa than those scary Nazi chariots ... So just smootha & fasta thru the corners?

You sound like you're workin out how to bring as much of that special WSBK goodness to the stock RSV4's?

Nice one Nick APX is easy, you dont need anyone or any special tricks to change stuff - its all in the manual

They are easier than the normal road bike, because theres less bullshit to go wrong and less stupid red light errors that the Magnetti has

They are good bikes - like you said, different above 9/10k!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    You were sayin it had less powa than those scary Nazi chariots ... So just smootha & fasta thru the corners?
    Hey Rick, yeah, it's definitely less power than the german messerschmitts. But because of the V4 configuration, it puts more of the fewer ponies down more easily, so the difference isn't as much as the on-paper difference. Interestingly, the more people I speak to about both bikes, the more people fall clearly into either the BMW or the Aprilia camps! People that really love the Beemer are left unmoved by the Ape, and people that love the Ape don't at all care for the Beemer. They are equally fast, but just go about their performance in markedly different ways. Think Ferrari versus Nissan GTR, or HSV versus WRX. Equal but very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Nice one Nick APX is easy, you dont need anyone or any special tricks to change stuff - its all in the manual

They are easier than the normal road bike, because theres less bullshit to go wrong and less stupid red light errors that the Magnetti has

They are good bikes - like you said, different above 9/10k!
    Thanks Kris. I was flying blind, without the manual, so I missed the bit about IP addresses (most of it was intuitive anyway). Liam sent me the manual later yesterday, so I'll have a play with it over the next few days. There's no GPS module tho, do you have one? It'd be useful for data analysis, as the Aprilia software looks extremely comprehensive!

Oh, and I'm gonna need to talk to Dave Ward, I think. I'm guessing the fuelling at or near idle is way off. It's very hard to start in the mornings, and it easily stalls when trying to gently ride out of the garage. Apparently before the APX was fitted, none of these problems existed, so it's something to do with the APX.

Hey Rick, yeah, it's definitely less power than the german messerschmitts. But because of the V4 configuration, it puts more of the fewer ponies down more easily, so the difference isn't as much as the on-paper difference. Interestingly, the more people I speak to about both bikes, the more people fall clearly into either the BMW or the Aprilia camps! People that really love the Beemer are left unmoved by the Ape, and people that love the Ape don't at all care for the Beemer. They are equally fast, but just go about their performance in markedly different ways. Think Ferrari versus Nissan GTR, or HSV versus WRX. Equal but very different.

Thanks Kris. I was flying blind, without the manual, so I missed the bit about IP addresses (most of it was intuitive anyway). Liam sent me the manual later yesterday, so I'll have a play with it over the next few days. There's no GPS module tho, do you have one? It'd be useful for data analysis, as the Aprilia software looks extremely comprehensive!
    Yep, I have the GPS but my ECU is different - think yours is black from memory and the SST?

So, APX manages idle very different. Ensure the idle percent is set to 2.1%. I doubt the fueling is off. The OEM map is very good. If the idle is lower than this it will stall frequently and youll think wow it idles so high but thats normal. If you want to adjust the fueling, youll need to get the headers modified to have a bung placed in each cylinder - dont just adjust fueling in ARES with a single lambda. As I said, the OEM map is very very good and chances are the idle might have been played with.

Yep, I have the GPS but my ECU is different - think yours is black from memory and the SST?

So, APX manages idle very different. Ensure the idle percent is set to 2.1%. I doubt the fueling is off. The OEM map is very good. If the idle is lower than this it will stall frequently and youll think wow it idles so high but thats normal. If you want to adjust the fueling, youll need to get the headers modified to have a bung placed in each cylinder - dont just adjust fueling in ARES with a single lambda. As I said, the OEM map is very very good and chances are the idle might have been played with.
    Thanks mate, yeah this bike has the black APX (the '14 has the red one, but I haven't got that one yet.... not until FX in Dec). Good tip - I'll look at the idle, thanks!!

Ah, buying Patricks old 11 model? I think Liam then put a newer engine in it right?

Fiddle/play around - its the best way.

Ah, buying Patricks old 11 model? I think Liam then put a newer engine in it right?
    The only thing left of Patrick's bike is the APX It was destroyed at PI a while back (I got the swingarm for a bike build, and the frame went in the bin). They have a '13 that did most of the year last year, and is still up in QLD with Paul getting fixed after the head gasket went. This one is a nearly new '14 they replaced the '13 with, and it got the red APX. I did a package deal And I'm gonna be in debt for the foreseeable future!

hahah! Cool back to the fold!

Pretty cool bike.. I still love my rice burners though

It goes around corners....

No idea where to plug in my electric shaver

It might be simpler just to grow a beard?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    It might be simpler just to grow a beard?
    I think so too

So it was good then?!

2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    So it was good then?!
    Meh.

Nah, it was tops! Still tweaking though.... I reckon there's more to come.

Well then. I'll stay tuned for more...

Meh.

Nah, it was tops! Still tweaking though.... I reckon there's more to come.
    2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrk!!!! What a bike!!!

I've FINALLY figured out the problem with the '15 electronics. I had to resort to RTFM.....

Now the BMWs don't gain on me down the straight.......

OMG!!!!!!!! I JUST POWERED PAST AN S1000RR DOWN THE MAIN STRAIGHT!!!!!! Unbelievable. This bike is AWESOME!! Video is just uploading and will be up soon:

Race starts (my other failing on the RSV4) are now awesome too. Vids soon.

Awesome ... you got da powa!

Starts are ok

No one gave you grief about the camera Nick??

Starts are ok
    Nice start ... looked like MM in Moto2 at Valencia!

Nice start marshy!!! That was unreal... I may have to look into doing that manually

Thread Information