Thread: WTB enclosed trailer

WTB enclosed trailer

Hey all, Looking up upgrading to an enclosed trailer with storage room for gear wets ect. If anyone know of a good 2nd hand one going let me know.
    Also after reccomendations for new suppliers. Google and gum tree have showed me a few, ones technically a gate manufacture ...and I've not had any feed back on Motoxmarketing.com.au ?

Cheers Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect timing - I've just been through the rigmarole.. Moto-X-Marketing are the first site to come up when you google it.. their trailers look pretty sick. But I was banging my head against a brick wall dealing with Quentin. I sent him a text asking when he'd reply to my email and his response was "not enough time in the day".. A bloke sold a second hand moto-x 3 bike trailer less than 12 months old on gumtree a week ago, asking $6300.

Anyway I ended up going with a guy in Dromana - Forte Trailers, right near phillip island. It worked out to be a bit cheaper for a similar trailer, 4665x2000x1950. Box is 2800x2000x1450 with nosecone 860. The main difference with Forte's are they have formply floors - I've been dying to ask someone if that has any advantage over gal or aluminium besides not rusting. It's going to look similar to this..door on box, enclosed drawbar & alu on edges of alupanel.jpg

Would form ply floor let fixings pull out easily? Couldent be a strong as steel???

I got a quote of $6800 inc GST from concept gates via emails off a gum tree link
    3mm checa lift up lit shelf mesh walls ect ect

But a bit hesitant as there a gate mob and make trailers to order, after a deposit is payed.
    Also I'd prefer to get one 2nd hand for 4kish if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I'd prefer to get one 2nd hand for 4kish if possible.
    Keep looking - they are out there and come up reasonably often. Usually advertised/configured as dirt bike trailers. Mine was that, and so was Sickos. $4k-ish is the right money.

If it helps, my experience has taught me that light weight and good balance (front/rear) are the two most important things to look for. Many new trailers are built too heavy (usually massively over-engineered) and there's a new trend of putting the axle right at the back. This completely destroys the balance, and puts a huge amount of weight on the hitch, which is just shit all round. It's shit for the tow vehicle (destroys springs and shocks in the rear, makes the front end of the car very light - even a Ford Territory in my case with the old trailer - makes the headlights point to the sky, and is bad for fuel economy). Also, too much ball weight makes the trailer a bitch to move around when unattached (jockey wheels aren't designed for easy manoeuvring when loaded to the max). Plus overall weight is shit for speed and fuel economy, brake wear, gearbox longevity etc.

My old (fancy, brand new, very expensive) trailer was all of the bad things..... 600kg empty, and almost all that weight on the towball. Even completely empty you couldn't lift the front singlehanded. Destroyed springs in the back of three different cars (including a commodore and that territory). I hated every minute of owning it.

My new one is 350kg, and can be picked up with two fingers at the hitch both empty and fully loaded with two racebikes and all the gear. It's balanced! It tows sooooooo much more easily. Trips are faster and fuel economy has doubled. And it's only a bit smaller inside. Bought it 2nd hand for 4k. Did a fitout and never looked back!

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Never thought to much about the balance. I've got to kick my jocky wheel to change the trailers direction when pushing it around.

Thread Information