Thread: Front end feel and confidence- How far can you push?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Front end feel and confidence- How far can you push?

I know it’s a silly question but there are still things that are a mystery to me about how fast you can take/enter a corner. The reason they are a mystery is I don’t think I have reached the limits of the front grip and I really want to know where these limits are. (but I end up not venturing too far from my comfort zone and hence not learning)

I know it’s going to be hard to explain on a forum but I’m looking for some answers to questions I have. Sorry there are a few but they all relate to the same subject.
    Things that puzzle me are.....

-How fast can you enter or take a corner without the front end washing out? How will you know how fast you can enter the corner?

-How many front end washouts are actually caused by simply tipping the bike in too quick. Is there such a thing as turning in too quick (in the dry)?

-Are most front end stacks caused by too much trail braking combined with lean angle? Or just too much corner speed and hence load on the tyres?

-On my old CBR I used to trail brake A LOT and with confidence…now on the Aprilia I don’t feel like I have to and it seems like the bike just wants to be thrown into the corners. This I need to adjust to.

-If you do take a corner quicker than the bike can handle what are the consequences? The just bike runs wide and you ruin the corner or worst case you tuck the front?

-I’m super confident at feeling and saving the front end when I ride dirt bikes and love the feeling of both tyre’s sliding obviously its progressive and easy to catch and if i drop the bike who gives a fuck…but get me on the road or track and the thought of losing traction scares the shit out of me and as a result I wont even come near the limits of learning how to deal with this which is limiting.

I have always had this belief for many many years (and its most likely wrong) in my head that there is no progression with slicks…its either grip or no grip and will just tuck out from under me. This is a bullshit belief right????

-How progressive is the sliding that slicks will give before they let go altogether.?

Take for example say Stoner corner at Phillip Island (or even the hayshed) super fast 5th gear left hander/right….that corner is all about trust in the front end…what will I feel if I’m overcoming the tyre’s grip at high speed. The front end pushing? How fast will i loose the front or is it going to be easier to catch than in a slow speed (Honda,MG) corner.

I know there are a lot of questions and I have just spat out a lot of questions that go through my head. I really think being afraid of sliding (as I’m not sure of the consequences) is limiting me and I’m stuck in terms of improving lap times.

Anyway keen to hear thoughts on this subject if I haven’t confused and bored the shit out of you with my stupidly long essay.

Cheers

Alex
    Last edited by WRCPUG; 07-12-2015 at 06:09 PM.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Thread Information