Thread: New slicks

New slicks

Someone was asking about tyre sets we carry in stock, and having just put together a list, I'd thought I might as well share it here:

Metzler front and Bridgestone rear $500
    Bridgestone front and rear $525
    Dunlop front and Bridgestone rear $550
    Pirelli Superbike slicks front and rear $600
    Dunlop front and rear (Moto2 tyres) $625

Note, we use and recommend a Bridgestone V02 rear for just about everybody. Awesome grip and very long lasting. We use either a dunlop or bridgestone front on our racebikes, but any of the fronts are good.

All prices include fitting and balancing to loose rims (ie just bring the wheels around, not the whole bike). All of the above is in stock here already. By appointment only
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I will take a Bridgestone front and rear Nick !

Sorry for the stupid questions but what are the Dunlops? Are the Slicks D212s only these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Sorry for the stupid questions but what are the Dunlops? Are the Slicks D212s only these days?
    Still KR106 and 108s, Ed. Same as before, except they are made in Frenchland now, not Pommyland. Still very good. They have a new compound 'system' of 1 to 4 hardnesses (hardnii?), although we only get 3 and 4 (technically Soft-Med, and Med, but in reality it's Soft-Med and Hard). But underneath all that, they are still compound-stamped like always, so the fronts are the 343 and 302 compounds, and rears are things like 886 and 997 and stuff. Then there's the Phillip Island rear, which is stamped with yellow Dunlop stickers and Moto2 on the sidewalls (looks coooool), which is a very hard 'asymmetric' tyre - it's not really asymmetric, as the compound is the same all over; it's just thinner on one side than the other. And perhaps counter-intuitively, the thinner side is the 'working' side (ie left at PI). It's thinner to run cooler, whereas the thicker side flexes around more to generate and retain heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Still KR106 and 108s, Ed. Same as before, except they are made in Frenchland now, not Pommyland. Still very good. They have a new compound 'system' of 1 to 4 hardnesses (hardnii?), although we only get 3 and 4 (technically Soft-Med, and Med, but in reality it's Soft-Med and Hard). But underneath all that, they are still compound-stamped like always, so the fronts are the 343 and 302 compounds, and rears are things like 886 and 997 and stuff. Then there's the Phillip Island rear, which is stamped with yellow Dunlop stickers and Moto2 on the sidewalls (looks coooool), which is a very hard 'asymmetric' tyre - it's not really asymmetric, as the compound is the same all over; it's just thinner on one side than the other. And perhaps counter-intuitively, the thinner side is the 'working' side (ie left at PI). It's thinner to run cooler, whereas the thicker side flexes around more to generate and retain heat.

Now that, ladies and gents, is what one calls a proper explanation!!! Thanks heaps! Very glad they kept the fronts!!! I'm yet to try the V02 rear but I'm not a big fan of the Bridgies front...

Out of interest Nick, what are you running at the island?

You hear anything about these new KR133 rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Now that, ladies and gents, is what one calls a proper explanation!!! Thanks heaps! Very glad they kept the fronts!!! I'm yet to try the V02 rear but I'm not a big fan of the Bridgies front...
    The old Bridgie fronts were rubbish, but the V02s are actually good. Owen is a convert. I need to run some tests first, but the plan is to convert too.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Out of interest Nick, what are you running at the island?
    Bridgestones. The V02 is really really good there. And chubb and Manny Austin have done some V02 front tyre testing, which I'm utilising to make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    You hear anything about these new KR133 rear?
    Nope. What are they??

Any price on Pirelli F and Bridgie rear?

Bridgestones. The V02 is really really good there. And chubb and Manny Austin have done some V02 front tyre testing, which I'm utilising to make the switch.

Zoidberg this is a med V02 rear at PI. I'm usually at PI if you wanted to look at front rear on the Bridgestone V02.. The fronts are very good very similar to the Dunlop KR106.

Nope. What are they??

New control rear for FX. They moved away from the KR108

When would you use a soft and medium compound with the v02 on the rear Nick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That wear looks perfect! Marshy put me onto the V02 rear and I love it. What pressure hot are you running for it to look that good? I've got a 2 day old rear I'll be running there march 15th and 16th. Are you doing either of those days Chubb?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    That wear looks perfect! Marshy put me onto the V02 rear and I love it. What pressure hot are you running for it to look that good? I've got a 2 day old rear I'll be running there march 15th and 16th. Are you doing either of those days Chubb?
    I'll be driving back from Sydney after the FX round so probably not.. Will be there on the 25th the public holiday..

front aim for 32-24 hot and rear for PI I was running around 24-26 hot

The old Bridgie fronts were rubbish, but the V02s are actually good. Owen is a convert. I need to run some tests first, but the plan is to convert too.
    Yep, I was running the front all weekend, I really rate it!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    Any price on Pirelli F and Bridgie rear?
    $550

V02 rears are $300
    Dunlop and Pirelli fronts are $250. Metzler and Bridgestone fronts are cheaper.
    I currently have stock, but I don't always carry Pirelli. They are the only brand that I don't always carry.

V02 front are goooooooooooooooooood. We use v01 rear tho on the 600s.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Thanks Nick.

There seems to be not that many bad tyres these days. The SC1, VO2 and KR108 rears are all awesome. I have stuck with the KR106 fronts, just because I have had no reason to change and they last for so long, but I have heard nothing but good reports about the VO2 fronts and even the SC2 Pirelli. It's good to have a bit of choice.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    V02 front are goooooooooooooooooood. We use v01 rear tho on the 600s.
    Don't listen to Craig! The V02 is much betterer, even on the 600s. We've been running them on the R6s since they came out.

Don't listen to Craig! The V02 is much betterer, even on the 600s. We've been running them on the R6s since they came out.
    +1 for VO2 on the R6, 200 is plenty room for fun too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    +1 for VO2 on the R6, 200 is plenty room for fun too!!
    The R6's have a 5.5" rear wheel don't they ? I've got Nick fitting some VO2's for me on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben750au View Post
    The R6's have a 5.5" rear wheel don't they ? I've got Nick fitting some VO2's for me on Monday.
    Yeah. Depending on the profile, some 200's are great (like the VO2) and others, to me anyway, feel pretty wrong (like the Pirelli SC).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben750au View Post
    The R6's have a 5.5" rear wheel don't they ?
    Yes they do, same as your bike. But that's ok, the 200s fit just fine. It's only half an inch difference in wheel width (ie a touch over a centimetre), which is nothing. The biggest 'issue' is potential height difference in the middle of the tyre, which can cause clearance issues with the middle of the swingarm (below the rear shock) if your wheelbase is very short. TBH, I reckon they make a better shape - more rounded for extra turn - by being pulled in by the narrower rim.

Besides, widths aren't what they seem. I posted about it here before somewhere, but can't find it. Some '200' tyres are around 190. Some 180 tyres are almost 190. Some '190' tyres are nearer to 200, or to 180. It's not always as it says on the wrapper.

Sounds good. 😃

I may try a 200 on the rear at some point, but my bike handles so good... I just need to ride it faster and faster and push and push
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I liked the old Dunlop 200/55... heaps of grip. But it made the bike feel lazy when changing directions which was not too bad at EC but the 180/55 always felt better at WP to me. Mind you, all on stock suspension with almost to no adjustment despite changing tire sizes which we all know is not really the way to go.

Thread Information