Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St George Rd3 at PHILLIP ISLAND!!!!!!!!!

St George Rd3 at PHILLIP ISLAND!!!!!!!!!

So for the un-initiated at PI... what farken works and what doesnt...??? Tyres, compounds, gearing, suspension settings. Whats a good time for us club guys, which way does it go?
    Using the bridgestone V02 front and V01 Rear on the R6... Soft front, med rear? Or go Med on both? 15/43 ish gearing? Longer wheelbase?

Thinking i might give this round a go since its PI with everyone we know. Uni exams can wait and move.

AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I always did 46's which wasn't great. 15 45 but was perhaps a tad too long. No real reason to hunt for a long wheelbase I wouldn't think. I always ran soft bridgestone front and hard rear (back when it was the R04 and R09)

Although this all means nothing cause I haven't gone there during walrus hunting season before :P
    Last edited by Binksy; 16-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.

I am the same mate. My approach was going to be rock up and enjoy the ride haha

Nah man, if im traveling that far spending that much i need the lap record... :P lol, yep same here windy, but i would also like to be ultra prepared without any horrible surprises.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

What are the dates on said event?

June long weekend

Oh... I see. Thanks for that, googling that on the phone is not best way to find sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    i would also like to be ultra prepared without any horrible surprises.
    First one is a right!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

I have mine geared for about 260 odd km/h top speed (according to gearingcommander.com). Fastest I ever got was 252, but that was with the mother of all tailwinds directly down the straight (kinda terrifying actually hey Binksy :P ). Normally only get about 240ish top speed. Seems to work pretty well around the track as far as gear changes go. I think 15/46 will get your model R6 close to what mine is.

Yea that 280 odd into t1 was quite unexpected. Especially on the first lap of the day!!!

Nearly crapped myself when I realised how fast I was going through T1!

So who's making the trip down? Even if the weather is shite it'll still be amazing!
    AKA The SV Guy

No.22

Racing St George and Australasian Superbike Championships in 2017 on:

2002 Yellow WeeSV 650

2010 Yamaha R6

Formerly on a Yellow 2000 SV650S (now deceased, thanks to me).

Im running 15/45 for the creek so im guessing i need to go longer at Pi by a few teeth minimum. I get 245 at the creek top speed via speedangle.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Im running 15/45 for the creek so im guessing i need to go longer at Pi by a few teeth minimum. I get 245 at the creek top speed via speedangle.
    You'd think so, but not the case. I run the same gearing at PI and EC and it's pretty well perfect. PI straight is shorter than EC but you come on a bit quicker. Ends up as a pretty similar top speed for a 600. I reckon you're good with 15/45
    Last edited by zooker; 16-02-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Yea I'd be running 15 / 45 unless your on an absolute rocket like Rob's bike. Maybe take a spare sprocket or too but I was fairly sure that gives you a top speed around 260. Especially if your running a v01 as you get even longer gearing that normal.

So you guys reckon dropping a few teeth would be too long? How much shorter is the straight than the creek? And you are getting onto the straight in what top end of 3rd or bottom of 4th?
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

I think its more that an R6's terminal velocity isn't very far past 260. I was going onto the straight lower down in 5th I think, getting 6th before start finish line. Never got to the limiter.

Even if you look up trap speeds of aussie supersport guys only the top guys are consistantly breaking the 260 mark and their going through T12 SOOOOO fast! Think I was getting just about 250 at best but my R6 was pretty stock and as you know there was a little drag and additional weight in there...

Id maybe throw an extra sprocket or 2 into the kit bag but I'd certainly start at 15 45 untill you start really limiter bashing.

Alrighty, cool. I forgot to say my bike makes 123 hp so i may need longer gearing... Oh wait thats only in my dreams Psi for V01s???
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Quote Originally Posted by Binksy View Post
    I think its more that an R6's terminal velocity isn't very far past 260.
    Hahahah, yes!
    +1 for the 15/45 combo. It was right on the money for me.

And that gearing is ok for the corners too? Not inbetween gears on the long ones?
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Yep, I stuck with EC gearing (15/45) on the R6 and it was perfect. On the Aprilia, I go 1 tooth down on the rear so as not to sit on the limiter. But I've also just run it with EC gearing, and it's fine. Depends a bit on headwind versus tailwind.

On the R6, don't change anything. Wheelbase, gearing, even suspension settings are fine. PI is billiard-table smooth, so handing bumps isn't an issue (and handling bumps is a good reason to change settings, normally). There's only 1 massive stop, at T4, so you can actually run a softer front spring if you so desire, but again, if you leave it as-is, it'll be close to perfect!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Sounds good... Ok how about tyre compounds for the track surface and temperatures?
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Sounds good... Ok how about tyre compounds for the track surface and temperatures?

Imagine having to balance that wheel

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Mmmm PI is so close....

Mmm so keen thinking i might hang around for the track day on the monday after the old boy wants to get his Bmw 1200 Gsa out on the track that will be a funny sight.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The only changes I made were one tooth smaller on the rear and one turn of preload off the front spring and one click of rebound. After my times dropped and I started braking harder into turn four, I added half a turn of preload back into the front end. As Marshy said, you can run the front a tad softer, but you don't have to and I don't think I needed to drop the tooth on the rear sprocket either.

As for tyres, I ran a KR106 on the front and a Pirelli SCX on the rear and they worked well. I got 9 sessions out of each rear tyre, flipping them after 5 sessions, and they had awesome grip. If I was running VO2s, I would guess that they would be the mediums, but Rancel and Marshy will have a better idea on what to run with the Bridgies as they run them, so listen to whatever they say.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I ran the Med V01's in November and got puuuuurfect wear. Winter might change that a bit, so I might try running the soft rear

Definitely for PI in June I would go a front soft V02 with Bridgestone as you have high speeds down the straight into cold winter air and there is no load on the right hand side of the tyre.. I would also go out at the very last second before pit exit closes and make the most of the opening outlap to keep heat in the tyres, else it just cools down and will be hard to get heat back in the tyre.

If you can really really really keep the heat in go med rear.. else go soft..

thanks good info

Sweet, think im all sorted now, cheers guys. Gotta organise accomodation and travel
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

From Jan at St George MCC

Have just be advised that there is definitely a practice day at Phillip Island on Friday 10th June.

Quote Originally Posted by Builda View Post

Have just be advised that there is definitely a practice day at Phillip Island on Friday 10th June.
    wooooohoooooo
    looks like im going a day earlier
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Quote Originally Posted by Builda View Post

Awesome.

Ill leave a day earlier for sure. Are they going to announce it at all so people are aware early?

Yay sounds like more money but jeez i need the track time there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaswib View Post
    Yay sounds like more money but jeez i need the track time there.

Yep. I just changed my accommodation booking... Need the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    Are they going to announce it at all so people are aware early?
    Nooooooo ... less bikes on track = more hot laps
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

That's great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic! More time spent on that track is a great thing. Just hoping it's not covered in black ice! Do the MOMS allow for ice spikes in slicks?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Just hoping it's not covered in black ice! Do the MOMS allow for ice spikes in slicks?
    Still warmer than Wakefield Park in June, just more rain.

Hi, As you guys are aware St George club is coming down on the 11th and 12th of June, Jan mentioned there is a private
    practice day on the Friday 10th. Just wondering if this is true and when it will be offical.
    Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes you are correct, there will be a Practice day on the 10th June. Entry forms are not available as yet. I will email you one as soon as they are available.

Please do not hesitate to contact us here at the circuit should you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

Michelle Matthews | Administration Assistant/Receptionist

PI Operations | Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
    P +61 3 5952 2710 | f +61 3 5952 3160
    e info@phillipislandcircuit.com.au | www.phillipislandcircuit.com.au
    Back Beach Rd, Cowes, Victoria, Australia | RMB 500GP, Cowes, 3922

Had been wondering about the talk of the private practice day. Good on ya for checking up on it!

Awesome! Thanks for that info mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So is it gonna be 5 lap races or is there gonna be TT races similar to Pirelli road race series

Entries are out. Not sure if I'm just blind but can't seem to see how many races we get? Anyone know?

I'll be flying down on the Thursday night and back on Sunday night and will be hiring a car from the air port. If anyone wants to share the car/accommodation (San Remo) let me know. May also be able to organise bike transport through Motoracer AU if you need it.

Entries are out. Not sure if I'm just blind but can't seem to see how many races we get? Anyone know?
    Looks like 5 lap races 3 events per day per class

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Looks like 5 lap races 3 events per day per class
    See the way I read it was the entry form says each class gets 3 races per round. And the entry form says its only 1 round over both days.. Which if the entire trip is only for 3 races over 2 days that'd be kinda shit. I'm glad I can cross enter.

See the way I read it was the entry form says each class gets 3 races per round. And the entry form says its only 1 round over both days.. Which if the entire trip is only for 3 races over 2 days that'd be kinda shit. I'm glad I can cross enter.
    I read it the exact same way too Binksy, I think it will be 3 races each day though, probably just misworded.

I don't see why they wouldn't get through the same number of races as they do at the other rounds

Thread Information