Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: St George Rd3 at PHILLIP ISLAND!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Enjoy, even if it's wet I'm sooooo jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

Advantage of it being wet is that you slide very well :P

Quote Originally Posted by zooker View Post
    Advantage of it being wet is that you slide very well :P
    According to MyLaps it all stopped at 12 ?????

Nah they had issues with the website. Thry only got 7 races total completed in the day though. Race 1 stopped for me at T4. Lost the rear on the tiniest of throttle. Very weird and had me on the ground before I knew what happened. New brake lever and I was good to go for the next one though

St George Rd3 at PHILLIP ISLAND!!!!!!!!!

What a three days at PI.

Friday morning cool windy weather, but dry. Had no idea where the track went as never been there before, but got a good idea by lunchtime.

Saturday, the heavens opened, an man it was cold wet and very windy! Never been out in the wet before, so a trip down the road on my bum was only a matter of time lol, but got back out and enjoyed the afternoon.

Sunday, wet start but turned out into a nice dry day, had a few issues but went well.

Overhaul had a great weekend, best track I have even been, will be back soon this year "when the weather warms up".

Great to catch up with the Mr's, tell some stories an some lies, but what a great weekend 🏻

Great pics, Lee!! Sounds like a fantastic weekend!
    Well done on the trophy in some challenging conditions
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

What a write up Lee. Captured it very nicely oldmate. Was an absolute pleasure to stay with you lot. That pic of you flying by pitwall is awesome!

How ridiculously fun is that track!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Leezx10r View Post

Awesome pics mate!!! Sounds like it was great fun. Although surely you've been racing long enough to realise which side of the grid marker to pull up on
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

And where are the vids, people?!? You've had enough processing time....

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Awesome pics mate!!! Sounds like it was great fun. Although surely you've been racing long enough to realise which side of the grid marker to pull up on

hahaha I didnt run cameras friday or saturday and i damn well should have... I was the crash magnet. If you passed me you probably crashed right after (happened 4 times). Otherwise PI IS BLOODY UNREAL!!!!!!! got to 47s on the friday trying to learn everything i could. In the rain we were in the high 50s i believe until it dried out and we all shagged our wets (pics to come, or look at Stu's facebook). Still getting top 5 and top 7 place finishes in the wet which was awesome. Bloody Jas beat me tho fair and square in the rain. Sunday, man o man what can i say. Got down to a 45.1 in the 2nd race and made that consistent! Love flying through corners at full throttle just clicking up the gears. maybe touched my knee down 5 times all weekend since i was just trying to stay tucked in behind the screen to go faster. Top speed of 261 down the straight via the speedangle. and was up the front with the fast lads all weekend getting 5th place overall mostly. 2nd in 600cc C Grade and 3rd In Clubsport C grade with a bung race where i melted my rear wet to slick status. Damn good weekend even when trying to drift the wet bike around the last corner on a dry track with no tyre left flat track style hahahahaha. Absolutely tops weekend. Also scraped out both my footpeg and gear lever going around the last corner 4th gear pinned snicking 5th early to get some insane drive down the straight pulling in on fast bikes easy.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Had an alright time at the Island. Really enjoyed racing in the wet and was super gutted when clubsport 1000 race got red flagged and abandoned when I was in 2nd. However come sunday I struggled to get on pace in the dry and was well down on my normal times by about 3 seconds. Quite disappointed really.

Had a few good battles out there but came to a premature end when I misjudged what was going on ahead of me and ended up hitting Hamish on the exit of Honda. He stayed up which was good however I wasn't so lucky. Pretty bummed about it as for 3 years of racing I haven't cocked up that badly before but I suppose shit happens.

Will have full races up later however to appease Marshy I'll put the crash up :P.

Sound warning it seems stupidly loud! Ill fix it tonight hopefully

Thanks for uploading, Binksy!!
    Shame you came off, not the first ambitious manouver that's happened at Honda tho!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binksy View Post
    Had an alright time at the Island. Really enjoyed racing in the wet and was super gutted when clubsport 1000 race got red flagged and abandoned when I was in 2nd. However come sunday I struggled to get on pace in the dry and was well down on my normal times by about 3 seconds. Quite disappointed really.

Had a few good battles out there but came to a premature end when I misjudged what was going on ahead of me and ended up hitting Hamish on the exit of Honda. He stayed up which was good however I wasn't so lucky. Pretty bummed about it as for 3 years of racing I haven't cocked up that badly before but I suppose shit happens.

Will have full races up later however to appease Marshy I'll put the crash up :P.

Sound warning it seems stupidly loud! Ill fix it tonight hopefully

That's me on the yamaha! How did you fair in the crash? All okay? Much bike damage? Hope all good mate.

Nath

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    That's me on the yamaha! How did you fair in the crash? All okay? Much bike damage? Hope all good mate.

Nath
    I have a bruise about the size of a 5c piece on my elbow hahaha. Nah im all good! Got marshy on the case sorting out most of the stuff I need, but yea its still kinda expensive :(.

Was really hopeful of getting passed you hahaha but you were going great in the dry!

Should have more footage of you ill hopefully get around to uploading the full race and others soon!
    Last edited by Binksy; 14-06-2016 at 07:22 PM.

I was enjoying watching the action!! Looking forward to more vids.

Oh, and I don't think you are to blame at all, mate. Hamish was very wide and then aimed straight back at the apex. I would've stayed on the wide line, assuming there would be a bike coming up the inside. I don't reckon he gave racing room. But it's just a racing incident.

I felt a bit guilty at first watch, seems I spooked Hamish? I remember when he passed me on the straight, I wanted to get him back into four as I felt I was quicker than him on exit of three. When I saw how wide he was, I jumped at the chance and really made an effort to stay tight on the corner. I had no idea that a crash happened right then until watching this video! I remember busting my arse and holding a super tight line into MG that lap to give myself a chance to hold the position for the checkered flag.

God damn, I miss racing there already...

Well that was a fun weekend I know everyone was saying how good the circuit was , and they are right. Smooth as, good grip, and Fast ! Finding the confidence to push and use all of the track was tricky ( carl and I have never been there before ). So we spent Friday on the practice day slowly getting up to speed. Think we may have managed a 47 or a 48 by the end of the day, which I was happy with, seeing as i havnt done anything for a year and Carl is still learning heaps.
    Sat was Wet, very wet ! Windy and still heaps of fun. The racing was interesting, watching Carl disappear into the distance, hes getting quite quick now quite a few crashes though and a few oil spills meant we didnt get through the program.
    Sunday was drying, that meant wet tyres on a drying track but man that was a giggle, sliding everywhere and feeling the front tyre walk under brakes was top fun. As it dried we switched back onto slicks, Carl got straight into it but i was getting tired. Cant believe how fast he was going getting into flat 45's and lots of them, I was stuck at low 48's i think. I had a blast , Carl cannot stop grinning and saying its the BEST place hes ever been to. Thanks to everyone for making it so much fun, thanks to my bike for not blowing up as its now in its 3rd plus season of racing since its build ( well overdue a rebuild ). One year off any track action was def too long before going to PI racing, but it was soo much fun. Till next time

That's some great riding after the big break, Stu! How did the shoulder hold up?
    Well done to you both for finally getting doing there and posting some great times!

Thanks Owen, funnily enough the shoulder was great all weekend, it was my right hip and right wrist that was killing me !! go figure.. old and creaky

Looks like a mixed bag for everyone. Results, weather, crashes. Very jealous reading the stories. Well done to all.

What a weekend. Was soo worth the crappy weather just to experience racing at Phillip Island finally. Friday practice was pretty good, although a bit timid having seen so many bikes going down. While the track was fine and grippy I think it was more the mental side of things that kept me slightly cautious knowing there was a full w/end of racing to go. Only managed 47's best.

Saturday was not so great. Not having done much wet riding, and certainly no wet racing, I struggled to get comfortable and felt my bike setup (i.e. backing a few things off and hoping for the best) was not helping. Got lucky in qualifying and got 1 mostly dry lap in before the heavens opened, putting me into 5th for the first 600 race.

First race and I had a cracking start, 2nd into the first corner and only 4th by Honda. Unfortunately it ended there, losing the rear out of nowhere. Got the bike fixed up and continued the rest of the wet races cautiously around mid-pack, with the aim of finishing and hoping for dry weather Sunday.

Sunday started wet but dried quite quickly. First race was still on wets on the drying track so chewed them up pretty good. Remaining races were dry, and I gradually worked my way up the field, generally ending up either just in-front or just behind Carl. I think he pipped me on the line by 0.05 seconds in my last race.....bastard Had some great passes, and even managed to slip stream past someone which doesn't generally happen with my power disadvantage.

I missed the last 600 race after discovering my chain master clip missing (yea yea I know it should be riveted), and unfortunately the last clubby race was cancelled due to oil and lack of time.

Here's the vid of my crash to get thigs started

Rest of Sunday's races, being far more interesting than Saturday :P

What a weekend. Was soo worth the crappy weather just to experience racing at Phillip Island finally. Friday practice was pretty good, although a bit timid having seen so many bikes going down. While the track was fine and grippy I think it was more the mental side of things that kept me slightly cautious knowing there was a full w/end of racing to go. Only managed 47's best.

Saturday was not so great. Not having done much wet riding, and certainly no wet racing, I struggled to get comfortable and felt my bike setup (i.e. backing a few things off and hoping for the best) was not helping. Got lucky in qualifying and got 1 mostly dry lap in before the heavens opened, putting me into 5th for the first 600 race.

First race and I had a cracking start, 2nd into the first corner and only 4th by Honda. Unfortunately it ended there, losing the rear out of nowhere. Got the bike fixed up and continued the rest of the wet races cautiously around mid-pack, with the aim of finishing and hoping for dry weather Sunday.

Sunday started wet but dried quite quickly. First race was still on wets on the drying track so chewed them up pretty good. Remaining races were dry, and I gradually worked my way up the field, generally ending up either just in-front or just behind Carl. I think he pipped me on the line by 0.05 seconds in my last race.....bastard Had some great passes, and even managed to slip stream past someone which doesn't generally happen with my power disadvantage.

I missed the last 600 race after discovering my chain master clip missing (yea yea I know it should be riveted), and unfortunately the last clubby race was cancelled due to oil and lack of time.

Here's the vid of my crash to get thigs started

Coool!! Who was that on the Kwaka??

Coool!! Who was that on the Kwaka??
    guessing
    1st 78 Sam MULDOON 5 10:13.510 01:58.349 5 135.21 km/h

Did well making those places. Lonely ol' ride 2nd half of the race. Fastest lap last lap too.

Was fun racing with you in the clubbys and your bike aint that slow

Great to read all the stories and general excitement. Although I'd been to PI before I had never raced there and what an experience, it's totally different when racing and I can see why the pro's love it so much!

I can shed some light on the end of the weekend as I was racing in the Unlimited clubsport race that ended it. Was battling with David Burch for 3rd place when Corey Forde's weird/old/crazy fast bike literally exploded in front of us at the end of the straight! We both rode through a white cloud of smoke and oil and when it came to braking for turn 1 I realised that I couldn't see a thing thanks to all the oil on my visor! The rest of the race we just avoided the left hand side of the track and apart from visibility it was OK. I reckon there was so much oil down that they wouldn't have had time to clean it up before it was dark.

Boys if you loved it so much come and join us in August for the Pirelli nationals......I have a new favourite race track, shame its in Mordor.
    2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 & 1991 Honda CBR250RR
    Team GASD Racing
    Sponsored by: GASD, ASR Wealth Advisers, MYM Consulting, Woolich, Cutting Edge Motorcycle Paint Shop, ASBG, HELD Australia, JW Moto Parts, Canberra Motorcycle Centre, Suzuki

I think it was Corey Fordes bellypan I hit at full noise down the straight. Bloody terrifying that was! Ridiculous amounts of fun and stress over that few days for sure. Things I learned:

1: 6 yr old worn wets have basically no edge grip. MG had me sliding on my arse before I even realised I was sliding on my arse.

2: Newer bikes have no need to even try slipstreaming my old girl to get past.

3: Wet weather tyres don't last too long once the track is basically dry.

4: After crashing my bike, I really need to run it back up to temp before just assuming it's okay.

5: When warming the bike up 5 minutes before heading out for the first of two warm up sessions on new wet weather tyres about 50 minutes before the first race of the day and steam starts shooting out of the radiator with every twist of the throttle, you quickly understand what stress and feelings of "oh fuck it" feel like. Thanks heaps for the tip of trying to pinch together the fins of the radiator where the leak was Wolfie, bloody awesome advice. AND it worked, you legend.

6: Watching my mate struggling to change his rear wheel over and over again on his BMW makes me very happy to have my yamaha.

7: Riding at the island is good, RACING at the island is amazing.

8: Seriously top bunch of blokes do this racing gig, thankyou one and all for the fun times.

9: I wish I had taken a few more pics and had the go pro running over the weekend.

10: Racing is just awesome.

Last of the clubby races. Spent the whole race hunting down Carl. Damn that finish was sooo close haha

Carl's got some lovely lines. And nice work on the picks Zook!

For me to watch that is a pleasure , thanks ever so for uploading You guys were so close all weekend it was brilliant watching you both race flat out .. but with respect.. As i said before, your 05 R6 isnt giving much away to Carls 06 R6 down the chute, you are miles stronger under brakes, and you closed him at T1 and T2 every lap.. Great stuff

[QUOTE=zoidberg;27257]I think it was Corey Fordes bellypan I hit at full noise down the straight. Bloody terrifying that was! Ridiculous amounts of fun and stress over that few days for sure. Things I learned:

1: 6 yr old worn wets have basically no edge grip. MG had me sliding on my arse before I even realised I was sliding on my arse.)

That was one of the slowest crashes I have ever witnessed in my life! Watching you hanging on to it while lying in the middle of the track was priceless!!
    Team GASD Racing
    Sponsored by: GASD, ASR Wealth Advisers, MYM Consulting, Woolich, Cutting Edge Motorcycle Paint Shop, ASBG, HELD Australia, JW Moto Parts, Canberra Motorcycle Centre, Suzuki

Fantastic update and vids!! A great read
    Thanks heaps for posting, everybody. Pretty damn envious that I couldn't make it down!!
    It's SUCH a mad track. Agree with Wolfie, shame it's MILES away!!

[QUOTE=Wolfie57;27262]
    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I think it was Corey Fordes bellypan I hit at full noise down the straight. Bloody terrifying that was! Ridiculous amounts of fun and stress over that few days for sure. Things I learned:

1: 6 yr old worn wets have basically no edge grip. MG had me sliding on my arse before I even realised I was sliding on my arse.)

That was one of the slowest crashes I have ever witnessed in my life! Watching you hanging on to it while lying in the middle of the track was priceless!!
    I aim to please wolfie. Didn't happen to get it on camera did you? Yeh, it certainly was slow!

Last of the clubby races. Spent the whole race hunting down Carl. Damn that finish was sooo close haha

Unreal!! Nice riding, both of you. Carl, your rear end looks very good. Great drive, with no movement. You need to work on your right-hander body position tho (pot/kettle, as my rights are completely rubbish!!).

Carl, your rear end looks very good.

Yea Carl had some very nice lines. Something I struggled with all weekend, but not so crucial with such a wide track. Stu did you not see how far back he came for that win haha. Slipstreamed like a boss too.

He missed a downshift down lukie and went round in 3rd ! got mad and just kept it pinned, his corner speed to get back to you was unreal, have a look in the rear view camera, then he just kept it pinned till the finish !

Marshy !!! leave my sons rear alone !

Yep there were a few corners hed had me way outclassed in corner speed.

Last of my vids. Bit of a lonely race other than getting passed by a rocketship about mid-race haha. You can see Carl almost catching me to the line. Another lap would've been interesting

Last edited by zooker; 17-06-2016 at 04:46 PM.

I was close with that one zook. Scraped everything on the deck to get around that last corner to get you back after my mistake. And yeh Marshy, im a little crossed up with the upper body on right handers, i think ive got it nailed down to hand position on the throttle holding my wristin and locking up my right side. Was working on rolling my hand around on the throttle to drop the elbow and shoulders across. Reverted back to standard on the races tho.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

But hey, smoothness is what ive been chasing since the start and repeat ability for lines and lap times. Pb was a 45.1 surrounded by 45.2s and 45.3s. I dont know what i was doing some races tho, kind of mulling around the middle then going aw yeah im racing, hard lap to catch up and pass.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

[QUOTE=zoidberg;27273]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie57 View Post
    I aim to please wolfie. Didn't happen to get it on camera did you? Yeh, it certainly was slow!

Sorry mate no I didn't, no camera in the wet, don't want to break it!
    Team GASD Racing

The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Quote Originally Posted by Metal-Man View Post
    Awesome start!!!

Thread Information