Thread: Cylinder re-boring

Cylinder re-boring

Anyone know where to get a lightly damaged cylinder sleeve redone? Is it possible/worthwhile? There are 4 spots; these are the worst two (the others are only into the sleeve, not the bore).

Thoughts??

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

With that you can get the edges knocked off with a quick machine and hone... BUT, where that gouge is it will just create a high pressure zone in the compression and combustion stages... Might have consistent reoccurring head gasket problems. What motor is this?
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I have no idea what I'm talking about but couldn't you put some weld on it and machine it back so it's smooth?

is it nikasil or steel?

if its nikasil it looks like it needs to be redone. electrosil in Victoria are the best

No idea. It's an RSV4 motor.

Yep Nikasil bores it seems on the RSV 4... you wont get the gouges out by just plating (super thin layer)... im unsure if they can weld up, re grind and then plate... You would never get it into round again i reckon.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Try Electrosil and send them some pictures etc. they might just be able to fix it... This wont be cheap tho.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Thanks Carl!! I'll contact them and see what they say. I imagine it'll be exxy!

Good luck and keep us posted Nick. Interest to see what the recommendations are

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Maybe something like this would be cheaper ... http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-ve...=SearchResults (only v4 ape there at the moment)

Actually that will go for big dollars ... nice track bike for Older Fat Blokes (not bending down)

a replate is around $500-$600, so if they need to weld it up too, then a few hours more work.

you usually have to send them the piston too, so they can get the clearance right

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    Maybe something like this would be cheaper ... http://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-ve...=SearchResults (only v4 ape there at the moment)

Actually that will go for big dollars ... nice track bike for Older Fat Blokes (not bending down)
    I've looked into a tuono before, and they are considered not convertible to an RSV4 (there are too many different bits: frame, engine internals, brakes, etc). That said, if it was just the block needed, that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    a replate is around $500-$600, so if they need to weld it up too, then a few hours more work.

you usually have to send them the piston too, so they can get the clearance right
    Thanks Simon!! Good info

Cost me $500 at Electrosil to just slightly rehone an RSV4 bore. To fix that would be significantly more. Yes, RSV4 bores are Nikasteel/chrome.

Id be throwing it away and getting new cases.

Thanks everyone. I think it's a 'replace' not 'repair'. Appreciate the insights!

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post

More like $1200 from my experience. How do you get 4 cylinders done for $500-$600? and can I get in on that action too please?
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Thread Information