I’ve spent a fair bit of track time on 600cc bikes. Both on tracks in Aus and in the UK, and I feel like I’m getting to know them well as well as how to cut some good laps.

I want more tho and I think 1000cc bikes are where I can find that extra bit of outright power as well as a deeper level of control, through the electronics etc.

I’ve ridden a quite a few litre bikes on track but they’ve never belonged to me so I’ve never really wanted to ride them hard.

What I’m keen to know is, who else has made this jump? What do you find the biggest differences to be from 600 to 1000cc? Do they require such a different approach to riding fast?

As many will know, one of the keys to riding a 600, is maintaining corner speed and not scrubbing off too much, as it’s harder to make it back up on the gas.

Surely the same approach to litre bikes would yield even better results?

Naturally the litre bike would reach higher speeds on the straights and would weigh more, so braking distances are longer and it would likely tip-in slower?.. How does that translate into the thinking of cutting a fast lap?

Can/should you just think of a litre bike as a really powerful 600 for optimum results?