Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you ride a bike?

The 10R is brutal. No two ways to describe it. Like you said it comes on really strong up the top and you have to really wrestle the litrebikes

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I'm noticing a bit of a pattern here.... the common denominator is the 10R!! I thought they were pretty rubbish when I rode one, but some people like them I guess. Although I can rattle off a long list of names of people that have never gelled with the big Kwaka. Maybe try a different litrebike before throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I didn't like the Hooonda when I had it either, nor obviously the Beemers. The Aprilia really really suits me and my 600-ish riding style.
    Hmmm my problem is a lack of trust and feel in the front end. Some of the corners when you need to put faith in the front like Corporate Hill, T10 and T4 have got me fucked. Comparing it against the just 100% glued sensation you get from the R6 I think is part of the issue. Always felt like you have enough grip to ride the R6 on the ceiling of your pit garage. The power of the ZX10 is taking some getting used too but that's not my current concern. If I can get happy with the front the rest will fall into place I reckon.

Just about to have a play with geometry to see if its just something simple. But got 3 days at PI to figure it out next week so hopefully something can be found....

The zx10 likes to be fairly flat I found.. but its different for everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    The zx10 likes to be fairly flat I found.. but its different for everyone..
    Yea I'm currently set up with about 10mm of fork showing through the triple, going to start out with it down to just 5mm and see if that helps then might go the other way if I still don't like how it's handling. Really haven't spent the time playing with setting enough on the bike yet.

When are you racing again Marshy?
    2012 BMW S1000RR

How do you ride a bike?

The exception would be the new R1, which I can't wait to ride. Liam tells me it feels pretty similar to the RSV4. Small and good handling, with better corner-exit drive
    That's how it felt to me, (even at my piss weak pace) you can let us know on the 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruckos87; 16-03-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binksy View Post
    Yea I'm currently set up with about 10mm of fork showing through the triple, going to start out with it down to just 5mm and see if that helps then might go the other way if I still don't like how it's handling. Really haven't spent the time playing with setting enough on the bike yet.
    Spend a day and a little money on Rob Hodgson from Well Sprung suspension tuning, it's money well spent. He's very reasonable 💰and very knowledgable. Then all you'll have to do is concentrate on lap times rather than if you're going in the right direction with your twiddlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Petefrost View Post
    Spend a day and a little money on Rob Hodgson from Well Sprung suspension tuning, it's money well spent. He's very reasonable ��and very knowledgable. Then all you'll have to do is concentrate on lap times rather than if you're going in the right direction with your twiddlers.
    Actually MStevo has already recommended Rob so it is certainly something I'm interested in! Will have to hunt him down for a chat about it all I think.

Did you decide yet Owen??

I'm actually going back the other way. I can't really ride the 1000 the way it's meant to be ridden so I'm going back to what I was more comfortable on, a 600.

Guess I was always more a 600 rider than a 1000
    I am slightly worried it's the wrong choice! Having ridden a few tho, I think I'd be happy on an Aprilia or a new R1 as they just felt like a crazy powerful R6!
    Do you think it's just the ZX10R that's not quite the right for you or is it the whole litre bike thing not really what you're after?

Actually MStevo has already recommended Rob so it is certainly something I'm interested in! Will have to hunt him down for a chat about it all I think.

+1 for Rob, he's a top bloke and knows HEAPS!!

http://www.wellsprung.com.au/contact.php
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    I am slightly worried it's the wrong choice! Having ridden a few tho, I think I'd be happy on an Aprilia or a new R1 as they just felt like a crazy powerful R6!
    Do you think it's just the ZX10R that's not quite the right for you or is it the whole litre bike thing not really what you're after?
    I think it may be a litrebike thing... I'll be happy to go back to a 600 and when I feel the urge, maybe ride a few before I decide to go down that route again....

I think it may be a litrebike thing... I'll be happy to go back to a 600 and when I feel the urge, maybe ride a few before I decide to go down that route again....
    I'd suggest it really might be a ZX10 thing (for you too Binksy). Many many people have issues with front end feel. It's something to do with weight distribution, offset and something else. It's a 'known issue'. There's people running weird clipons to try and get the rider weight over the front more, and stuff like that.

My advice for people not too sure about a litre is to try a few first! Like I said, I hated the Blade, the 10R and the S1000. I'd be disappointed if I'd assumed that that was it for litrebikes and not tried the Aprilia.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

When are you racing again Marshy?
    ASBK round 2, Wakey, Easter weekend

Do you want his number?

ASBK round 2, Wakey, Easter weekend
    Are you doing the whole season? Are you going to do any fx and St George?

Are you doing the whole season? Are you going to do any fx and St George?
    Yes, the intention is to do the whole season. Perth will depend on the transport deal on offer, if any.

I'm still planning on doing St George, although possibly not PI, depending on the Perth thing (they are a week apart).

Unlikely to do FX, although I might be tempted to do a Creek round if you guys are going.

Do you want his number?
    Rob Hodgson: 0431 599 899

Thanks Pete, yes, if anyone needs any info on setup and assistance in getting their bike dialled in, please just give me a call.

Rob Hodgson: 0431 599 899
    Thanks Marshy!

Aprilia or new R1 would be ideal I think Owen!

Quote Originally Posted by wellsprung View Post
    If your there on the 1st Owen. Your welcome to take it for a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    If your there on the 1st Owen. Your welcome to take it for a run.

Very good of you mate, thanks heaps! I'm on baby watch until after April tho.
    I'm pretty sure R1 is the way to go tho. I just clicked with it after only one session!

Quote Originally Posted by wellsprung View Post
    I think you're right, Rob. They both seem to suit exactly how I like to ride.

Very good of you mate, thanks heaps! I'm on baby watch until after April tho.
    I'm pretty sure R1 is the way to go tho. I just clicked with it after only one session!

I think you're right, Rob. They both seem to suit exactly how I like to ride.
    What? Like a little girl?

What? Like a little girl?
    Not like a little girl, we've been told to expect an actual little girl.

Envy your position Sicko!
    New R1 seems to be the most impressive of the latest litre bikes.
    One piece of advice from very fast racer that sticks with me is "you cant buy speed its earned".
    When researching my purchases always try to ask top A grade rider what times they have done on bone stock streetbikes.
    Gilesy: Gsxr1000 1:59/1:35 2012
    Condon:Zx10r 1:35 flat.2014
    Shannon Johnson: Cbr:1:36 2013
    Got Allerton on monday R1 1:33.7 2016.
    I am sure all these bikes have strong and weak points but the talent adapted/overcome and cut very fast times.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnobody View Post
    Envy your position Sicko!
    New R1 seems to be the most impressive of the latest litre bikes.
    One piece of advice from very fast racer that sticks with me is "you cant buy speed its earned".
    When researching my purchases always try to ask top A grade rider what times they have done on bone stock streetbikes.
    Gilesy: Gsxr1000 1:59/1:35 2012
    Condon:Zx10r 1:35 flat.2014
    Shannon Johnson: Cbr:1:36 2013
    Got Allerton on monday R1 1:33.7 2016.
    I am sure all these bikes have strong and weak points but the talent adapted/overcome and cut very fast times.
    I disagree. It is widely agreed by racers, motorcycle journo's around the world and the general international motorcycle fraternity, that all of these bikes without exception are absolutely excellent. The best we have seen so far and to split them into 1st, 2nd etc, is just an exercise in personal preference and price. I don't think any of us has the talent to really get the best out of these things, so to speak of one being better than the other says more about us as riders than the bikes in question.
    Meant entirely in a light hearted way nigelnobody!

All good!
    My point being they are all amazing much more than we can get the most out of.
    Spoiled for choice, unfortunately my budget is 10k second hand,still get plenty for my money.

I remember Wetty getting a trophy once, claiming that he was proof that you CAN buy speed, having just had his suspension significantly upgraded. And his motors are fast precisely because they are expensive.
    There's a happy middle ground of course, but to simply accept that you can't improve your laptimes by upgrading your equipment is naive. Some bikes are better in stock form than others, but once you do the usual smallish upgrades that any racebike would get (exhaust, suspension, ECU, brakes), then they become much more similar in comparative performance.

That said, some bikes really suit some people, and others suit other people. Aprilias suit me. Beemers don't. Interestingly, the people I know that love racing Beemers, don't really like the Aprilia!! Horses for courses.

Is any one brand a clear winner? Nope. Does one brand suit somebody much better than somebody else? Absolutely! And life would be boring if it were any other way

Absolutely 100% true
    My budget rules out the latest and Euro with all the trappings.
    Lol Wetty!miss his view on the world.
    Am sure he would have plenty to say re:10r's

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnobody View Post
    All good!
    My point being they are all amazing much more than we can get the most out of.
    Spoiled for choice, unfortunately my budget is 10k second hand,still get plenty for my money.
    I hear you on the budget. I got mine from Pickles Auctions for 10k with only 3,500 kms on it and a few dings. I love it!

How do you ride a bike?

Wetty is a knob on many levels.
    I like my Beemer very much and when you let me ride your Aprillia Nick, I thought that was fantastic too. Different, small, great handling, very 600 like, didn't like the lack of top end grunt but still a fantastic bike nonetheless. Then I got my suspension sorted and I was in love all over again.
    Last edited by Petefrost; 17-03-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    2012 BMW S1000RR

I'd suggest it really might be a ZX10 thing (for you too Binksy). Many many people have issues with front end feel. It's something to do with weight distribution, offset and something else. It's a 'known issue'. There's people running weird clipons to try and get the rider weight over the front more, and stuff like that.

My advice for people not too sure about a litre is to try a few first! Like I said, I hated the Blade, the 10R and the S1000. I'd be disappointed if I'd assumed that that was it for litrebikes and not tried the Aprilia.
    It's not a ZX10 thing as mine handles unbelievably! It all comes down to set up. The front end of mine, with the K-Tec suspension is phenomenal. It's set up opposite to Rancel's, as it is really steep with the front end lowered heaps (more than yours Binksy) and the back raised a bit and it works great!
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I was talking to Carlos on the weekend about this, and he said the same. He has the front down and bum up, and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    It's not a ZX10 thing as mine handles unbelievably! It all comes down to set up. The front end of mine, with the K-Tec suspension is phenomenal. It's set up opposite to Rancel's, as it is really steep with the front end lowered heaps (more than yours Binksy) and the back raised a bit and it works great!
    Absolutely guys, the ZX10 since about 2008 has had a front end trail figure of between 107 -110mm, this is very lazy, but stable. The front down and rear up would definitively be the right move to get that figure alot better. Generally better for most riders to get to the most out of them with less effort.

Hmmm thanks for the info people. Got 3 days of testing at PI over the next week so might have a play around with it. Was leaning towards flattening out the bike even more but might just have a crack going the other way first!

I was talking to Carlos on the weekend about this, and he said the same. He has the front down and bum up, and it works.

That's how my zx10 is setup also Nick. Take her for a spin and see what you think compared to last time 🏻

Hey, Troy Bayliss, you've won a few world championships..... How do you ride a bike?
    TB - "I'll show you!!"

I can see the grin from here....

Thanks for the vid, Marshy!! The front wheel barely touched the ground!
    Mad insight into his riding tho.

Hope you remember all his braking markers now hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Hope you remember all his braking markers now hahaha
    I think there was one at pit entry after the session.....

Nice.... Would have been fun

I think there was one at pit entry after the session.....
    Is that the one they dub the "amen" marker? hahaha

Mad insight into his riding tho.
    What sticks out about his riding?

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    What sticks out about his riding?
    A couple of really big take-homes for me...
    One was just how little time he spends turning. It's deep in, flick over and fire back out again, straight lines everywhere!

The other is how much of the track he used, all over the ripple strip, every milimetre of track and some dirt was a potential turning point or apex.

I personally get back on the gas pretty early of a corner, a wee bit to steady the bike, with a gradual then hard roll on. His throttle use is more like a switch! He's off for a good while, to brake and turn. Then he's right back on and hard!

What time did u he pull with you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    What time did u he pull with you on?

1:05/1:06!!

One was just how little time he spends turning. It's deep in, flick over and fire back out again, straight lines everywhere!

The other is how much of the track he used, all over the ripple strip, every milimetre of track and some dirt was a potential turning point or apex.

I personally get back on the gas pretty early of a corner, a wee bit to steady the bike, with a gradual then hard roll on. His throttle use is more like a switch! He's off for a good while, to brake and turn. Then he's right back on and hard!
    Great insite, priceless.

1:05/1:06!!
    That's funny.

That's awesome! I didn't even know you had the ride mate, what a blast. Was the grab handle on the tank a little loose? It came off in one of his pillions hands today...

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    That's awesome! I didn't even know you had the ride mate, what a blast. Was the grab handle on the tank a little loose? It came off in one of his pillions hands today...
    I would have waved.....
    Yes!! The handle WAS loose. I was telling Kris and Marshy when I came back!
    I saw the crew playing with it before I went out and one of lugs bolts was loose.
    They couldn't get it back in but scrutineering deemed it ok to go out...
    Evidentally it got worse!!

Thread Information