Quote Originally Posted by Row View Post
From what I've read, SC's will last a day for a fast rider, the SP's will usually last 4-6000kms.
The SC will last 5-6 days for a slower rider, or more. You'll be fine with them. If a tyre is built to last 6000 kms, it'll have very little grip. You can't have great grip and super long life.... the two are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
aren't the SP's the road version of the superbike pro and just as bad?
Yes. They are a great road tyre though, which the Pros can't do

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Yeap despite being the SC a DOT tyre the guys at Pirelli do not recommend them for ROAD use ... need to be +70C to work so realistically need to come off a tyre warmer - I race with the SC and get 3-4 meets out of a front and 2 - 3 out of a rear (depends on track etc) that said I ride a smaller bike 696 monster - BUT you can pick up cast offs for $0 - $50 with a track day in them

Come up to Morgan Park on the 14th May and I'll bring you up a couple (or twenty)
I used to run SCs on my road bike (back when I actually owned a road bike....) and the first kilometre was.... ummm.... interesting, particularly on a cold morning. Very little grip, but it only took to the end of my street for them to come good enough. Sweet FA grip in the wet tho! 2 gentle laps on track before getting into them, and they'd be fine, especially in sunny & warm Queensland.

Grab a few from Linden and try them. It's muuuuch better to have grippy tyres that don't last as long than to have rock-hard tyres that last forever but offer very little grip. The racetrack is not designed for maximising tyre life, and if you do want to maximise tyre life, you won't enjoy yourself, which kinda defeats the point. Besides, you'll crash way less often on grippy rubber than hard rubber.