Thread: New Bike - 2009 ZX-6R

New Bike - 2009 ZX-6R

Been ghosting this forum for months, but I finally bought a track bike! My mates and I are all getting into Track Days and I seem to be riding less and less on the streets these days. They are buying litre bikes, but I thought I'd enjoy and learn faster on a 600. Plus it'll be cheaper on tyres.

It's a 2009 ZX-6R with 1470kms on the odometer. It was a 'repairable write-off' apparently, and converted into a track bike. I'm the third owner. The guy I bought it off did 300kms, and then his track buddy quit and he stopped doing track days. It sat around and then I bought it.

Stripped it back yesterday to see if it had any obvious scars. Just a few scratches and a small dent on the right Fork Tube under the clip on mount. Apparently it's been checked, and springs and valves updated by MPE Suspension, but I'll ask around and if it looks suss then I'll buy a new front end. Apart from that the rest of the bike was totally clean.

Took it for a small shakedown test, and everything looks, sounds, feels right. The tank has a wobble to it because the rubber tank spacers have fallen off so I'll go to Clark Rubber and make my own.

The fasteners used on the Attack Performance fairings are truly awful so I am hoping to replace them. And I need to find a few replacement push pins for the tail fairing.

In a month I have Lvl 2 & 3 of the California Superbike School at Queensland Raceway. Looking forward to learning as much as possible.

Note the 2 dead spiders in the dash.

Right Fork Tube

Last edited by Row; 25-04-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Yiewww!! Nice pick-up Row!!
    Hopefully the fork scuff is just a battle scar and nothing too terminal!
    Does it need any go-fast bits or are you ready to get riding??
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Cheers Sicko! I'm pretty stoked about it.

It's got a Akra slip on, and I think it has the Akra linkage pipe as well. There's a Power Commander 5 under the tail, Goodridge braided break lines and pads, GPR steering damper, Vortex rearsets, CRG levers

I got a rear stand, some blue Chickenhawk warmers, and a box of new oil filters and nuts and bolts.

It has some Bridgestone R10's that look shagged, so I need some new tyres for a beginner track rider. I'm keen to hear any suggestions. At the moment it's either the Rosso Corsas or the Superbike Pro's.
    Last edited by Row; 26-04-2016 at 12:17 AM.

The tank thing is pretty common unfortunately... Seen 3-4 zx6r track bikes with that issue. My own bike had it for a while too... But yeah, just get the little rubber pieces and you're good.

Also, add some tank protectors to it... Hitting/splitting the tank is another known issue of the model. Not as bad as R6s but it happens and for $100 the protectors will give you lots of peace of mind. wet4u.com.au will have them in stock if you get stuck. Might as well ask Paul/Wetty to go over the bike if you're a bit worried as he knows those inside out.

Other than that, welcome to team green!!

Looks like a great bike mate, well done with the purchase! Hopefully fork isn't bad. I like the spiders, they add character. I might put a small funnelweb in my dash now.

@zoidberg - You can have my dead spiders, I took the dash apart and gave it a small clean out. I have no idea how they got in there.

@Mr.Ed - I'll be purchasing some of those tank protectors ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Row View Post
    Cheers Sicko! I'm pretty stoked about it.

It's got a Akra slip on, and I think it has the Akra linkage pipe as well. There's a Power Commander 5 under the tail, Goodridge braided break lines and pads, GPR steering damper, Vortex rearsets, CRG levers

I got a rear stand, some blue Chickenhawk warmers, and a box of new oil filters and nuts and bolts.
    OOOOHHH!! Plenty of shiny bits to have a play with!!
    Looking forward to hearing how you like it. What were you on before?

Niiiiice Row!! Great great great choice for a first track bike. I tell everyone they should start on a 600... many don't listen and get scared/put off the track very early on.

Don't worry about the fork... It'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    The tank thing is pretty common unfortunately... Seen 3-4 zx6r track bikes with that issue. My own bike had it for a while too... But yeah, just get the little rubber pieces and you're good.

Also, add some tank protectors to it... Hitting/splitting the tank is another known issue of the model. Not as bad as R6s but it happens and for $100 the protectors will give you lots of peace of mind. wet4u.com.au will have them in stock if you get stuck. Might as well ask Paul/Wetty to go over the bike if you're a bit worried as he knows those inside out.

Other than that, welcome to team green!!
    Thanks for the reminder. Got some today.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Got some today.
    We're still waiting on pictures, you know...

We're still waiting on pictures, you know...
    Only getting it this arvo

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Only getting it this arvo
    Well, I suppose you're excused then... this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    ... What were you on before?
    My street ride is a 2014 899 Panigale. I love it. Used to take it to the track in beginner group, but had a big scare on it at Queensland Raceway at Turn 1. Cracked some ribs and mainly rash damage to the 899. Cost me more then I'd care to admit bringing it back to mint condition. Learnt a few valuable lessons that day. So this is my first Track Bike and I was pretty keen to just buy something I could afford to drop, and with a abundant affordable spare parts online. The 899 is just for the street now where it's insured.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Niiiiice Row!! Great great great choice for a first track bike. I tell everyone they should start on a 600... many don't listen and get scared/put off the track very early on.

Don't worry about the fork... It'll be fine.
    Cheers Marshy! Yeah, I reckon it'll be OK.

... Might as well ask Paul/Wetty to go over the bike if you're a bit worried as he knows those inside out.
    I would love to take it to Wetty but I live in Toowoomba, Qld. But I have found a cool shop here; Jason at JCR Motorcycles & Dyno was Jason Pitt's ZX-6R mechanic in WSS and then went to work for Team Green when they were still in MotoGP. Nice bloke, knows his stuff.

My street ride is a 2014 899 Panigale. I love it. Used to take it to the track in beginner group, but had a big scare on it at Queensland Raceway at Turn 1. Cracked some ribs and mainly rash damage to the 899. Cost me more then I'd care to admit bringing it back to mint condition. Learnt a few valuable lessons that day. So this is my first Track Bike and I was pretty keen to just buy something I could afford to drop, and with a abundant affordable spare parts online. The 899 is just for the street now where it's insured.
    Damn, tough lesson to learn that one!! Glad you and the bike are back in one piece tho.
    Track bike is deff the way to go

At the moment it's either the Rosso Corsas or the Superbike Pro's.
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Nice, !!! love the 600s

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    This!! ^^^

Don't believe the advertising.... the Pros are the worst tyre on the market, period. They are a lousy track day tyre, and don't even make up for it by being, say, awesome in the wet on the road, like some other compromise tyres. They might last forever, but so what when you have absolutely no grip at all. Stupid things, those tyres. Good concept, badly executed.

OK, so the Pro's are out.

What do you recommend then lads?

The R10's that's on the bike have done 300km of track time on the bike and look shredded. I don't plan on doing any wet track days. Should I just get some Pirelli Supercorsa SP's?

Can't go wrong with Dunlop 212s or Pirelli sc's if you want a treaded tyre

What Marshy said about the Pro's - terrible! I've been using the Supercorsas for a few years now and love them. The ZX6 is a great bike and the only issues I've had with mine is dropping valves (twice now). It's worth replacing the valve guides at the end of each season which has been a lot cheaper than buying new motors. Other than that, fit up a quickshifter and enjoy.

The Pirelli DRC's are a nice crossover tyre if you're running a road bike but have a harder compound in the middle that you'll not gain anything from as this is track only.
    I'd be looking at Supercorsa SP's as an excellent all round tyre that heat up quickly, have plenty of grip and be a good stepping stone to slicks.
    Once you're happy you can keep enough heat in the tyres for the session, you'll be able to feel the benefit and added grip with the extra cost of full slicks.

Get some Bridgestone BT003RS. Brilliant tyre when you're starting out on track. Very good grip, last ages until you get super quick. And cheap at $400 a set. I ran these until halfway through my first year of club racing. No point in chewing up race tyres until you need them :P

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRIDGESTO...dE3Q8VQKhFJrkA

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    Can't go wrong with Dunlop 212s or Pirelli sc's if you want a treaded tyre
    This! Stick with threaded until you're really really fast. Saves mucking around with wets in case it's just spitting and etc...

Quote Originally Posted by zooker View Post
    Get some Bridgestone BT003RS. Brilliant tyre when you're starting out on track. Very good grip, last ages until you get super quick. And cheap at $400 a set. I ran these until halfway through my first year of club racing. No point in chewing up race tyres until you need them :P

www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRIDGESTONE-BT-003-RS-120-70-17-180-55-17-Motorcycle-Tyres-/150769005885?hash=item231a88753d:m:mN-gZ9BaQdE3Q8VQKhFJrkA
    Good tip! Although if you need Bridgestones in Sydney, I can help with good deals. For you interstaters, contact Craig White direct at www.wrp.net.au and he will ship them out to you overnight (when he fixes his suspended website account!). Or call him on 0413 461 353. Tell him I sent you

So there is a few Supercorsas. Special Compound (SC) and then a Street variant (SP).

I have spent the night reading around, SC ones are basically slicks with a token tread in them. And the SP's are the ones used on a lot of street bikes. From what I've read, SC's will last a day for a fast rider, the SP's will usually last 4-6000kms.

So for a beginner on a new bike I was thinking SP's.

aren't the SP's the road version of the superbike pro and just as bad?

So there is a few Supercorsas. Special Compound (SC) and then a Street variant (SP).
    Yeap despite being the SC a DOT tyre the guys at Pirelli do not recommend them for ROAD use ... need to be +70C to work so realistically need to come off a tyre warmer - I race with the SC and get 3-4 meets out of a front and 2 - 3 out of a rear (depends on track etc) that said I ride a smaller bike 696 monster - BUT you can pick up cast offs for $0 - $50 with a track day in them

Come up to Morgan Park on the 14th May and I'll bring you up a couple (or twenty)

From what I've read, SC's will last a day for a fast rider, the SP's will usually last 4-6000kms.
    The SC will last 5-6 days for a slower rider, or more. You'll be fine with them. If a tyre is built to last 6000 kms, it'll have very little grip. You can't have great grip and super long life.... the two are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    aren't the SP's the road version of the superbike pro and just as bad?
    Yes. They are a great road tyre though, which the Pros can't do

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    Yeap despite being the SC a DOT tyre the guys at Pirelli do not recommend them for ROAD use ... need to be +70C to work so realistically need to come off a tyre warmer - I race with the SC and get 3-4 meets out of a front and 2 - 3 out of a rear (depends on track etc) that said I ride a smaller bike 696 monster - BUT you can pick up cast offs for $0 - $50 with a track day in them

Come up to Morgan Park on the 14th May and I'll bring you up a couple (or twenty)
    I used to run SCs on my road bike (back when I actually owned a road bike....) and the first kilometre was.... ummm.... interesting, particularly on a cold morning. Very little grip, but it only took to the end of my street for them to come good enough. Sweet FA grip in the wet tho! 2 gentle laps on track before getting into them, and they'd be fine, especially in sunny & warm Queensland.

Grab a few from Linden and try them. It's muuuuch better to have grippy tyres that don't last as long than to have rock-hard tyres that last forever but offer very little grip. The racetrack is not designed for maximising tyre life, and if you do want to maximise tyre life, you won't enjoy yourself, which kinda defeats the point. Besides, you'll crash way less often on grippy rubber than hard rubber.

Never heard of anyone getting 6000km out of a super corsa. Can't even get that out of a rosso corsa. Most people I know get between 1000 and 1500km of spirited road riding from a supercorsa SP and between 2500-3000km out of a rosso corsa.

Guys I just wanted to say a big thanks for all of the comments and info. There's a lot to know about tyres, and I appreciate your patience

SC's it is.

Now gentlemen, where do you guys buy your Pirelli's? Been quoted $605
    Last edited by Row; 27-04-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Where are you located?? I know of a supplier in Vic. Much cheaper than what you have been quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I used to run SCs on my road bike (back when I actually owned a road bike....) and the first kilometre was.... ummm.... interesting, particularly on a cold morning. Very little grip, but it only took to the end of my street for them to come good enough.
    I live in the Blue Mountains just off the Hwy and use my road bikes for commuting ... so I'll run my old rears but not the fronts ... Get at least a thousand Ks out of a USED rear (cooked up nicely)

My wife has been turning a bunch of my older tyres into "Grass Chairs/Dino Habitats" for her per schoolers

Linden, I'll see you there

Had a look and have no fronts (except for mounted on spare front - still got a bit of life)

Rears have 1x 180/60 and 3x 180/55 2 of them are late (1x55 1x60) 2012 (40th week) so good for the road but 2 hard IMO for the track - so 100% good is the 180x55 1 early 14 1 late 14

Plus the one on the bike at the moment that has done Broadford and MacPark (Left Hand tracks that I was saving for PI / EC Practice day)

so 2 rears yours for the taking - and the other rear I'd want a few bucks for ($100)
    the front maybe 50bucks

BUT there will be HEAPS of other cast offs there

My work schedule has now changed and I'll be out west over that weekend, so I won't be able to meet up and say hello unfortunately.

Realising this I have just organised to have a new set of SuperCorsas SC 1 front / SC2 rear put on the bike this morning from JCR. Not cheap, but I'll start hunting for cast off's when I get more spare time. Thank you for your offer, it would have been cool to catch up.

Good luck at Morgan Park Linden!

Thread Information