Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach me!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coach me!

Ok. So here's a vid from my best lap the other day. Lap 6 if you want to fast forward. Sorry, stuffed up the editing plus the sync is a little off with the data. And yes although wobbly the lap timer was secure.

So, what are the obvious areas for improvement. I know entry to T1 is an issue.
    No need to be kind. Let me have it!

BTW, it's an 09' Blade.

I got nuffin' but the bike seems to be hella stable!! Barely a wobble between 3/4 which is rare... Congrats!

Maybe there's an idea right there Ed. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough between 3 and 4.

That is one nice-handling motorcycle!! Very very smooth, and holds a very tight line with no effort, particularly through turn 1 and a few other turns. A couple of pointers:

1. You need a quickshifter. Really, you do. It will make a lot of difference to your ease of riding, and it'll cut your lap time. The time spent rolling off and on again, particularly down the straight (and the back straight) makes a big difference. The ride is much smoother too - no jerking forward-and-back on gear changes.

2. The forks are just a little too soft under brakes at T2 and T9. You're bottoming out, and that's why the tail wags. If you haven't changed it from Wade, that'll explain it. I'd add a couple of turns of preload, and a couple of clicks of comp to the front. You might need slightly heavier springs. I have a couple of questions I'll take offline (eg how much do you weigh).

3. Inconsistent apexing (eg wide on T2 on lap 6, tight on lap 7). When you get it right (eg T1, T5, T6, T8) it's tops, but you're too wide in T2 and T4.

4. Square off T12 just a teeny bit more, to maximise drive onto the straight.

5. Get a quickshifter. I know a guy....
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    That is one nice-handling motorcycle!! Very very smooth, and holds a very tight line with no effort, particularly through turn 1 and a few other turns. A couple of pointers:

1. You need a quickshifter. Really, you do. It will make a lot of difference to your ease of riding, and it'll cut your lap time. The time spent rolling off and on again, particularly down the straight (and the back straight) makes a big difference. The ride is much smoother too - no jerking forward-and-back on gear changes.

2. The forks are just a little too soft under brakes at T2 and T9. You're bottoming out, and that's why the tail wags. If you haven't changed it from Wade, that'll explain it. I'd add a couple of turns of preload, and a couple of clicks of comp to the front. You might need slightly heavier springs. I have a couple of questions I'll take offline (eg how much do you weigh).

3. Inconsistent apexing (eg wide on T2 on lap 6, tight on lap 7). When you get it right (eg T1, T5, T6, T8) it's tops, but you're too wide in T2 and T4.

4. Square off T12 just a teeny bit more, to maximise drive onto the straight.

5. Get a quickshifter. I know a guy....
    I like all of this. ^^^
    I spoke with Glenn Allerton. I was asking about how much the forks were compressing as the rubber marker was about two fingers width from the bottom. I had been told it should be about 1 finger from people obviously not in the know with the Blades. GA said that the Showa tubes physically stop about 12mm from the bottom so 2 fingers is in the ball park anyway. I had taken some comp off but after the chat with Glenn went back to where it was. Last session of the day less tail wag.

Frank Pons has set the bike up Nick and you're right. It's on rails. The way the rear Bridgey wears is text book.
    I need to get comfortable using the rear to control the front lofting as well.
    I do love this bike. it's a joy!

Thanks Nick. That's all solid advice.
    And Nick, can you talk with this guy you know who knows a guy and pm me deets for the QS.
    BTW I'm 80kg

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    And Nick, can you talk with this guy you know who knows a guy and pm me deets for the QS.
    There's a link in my footer

Marcus, You might be able to use more of the track as opposed to riding in a lane. I notice you are in a 1/4 of the track where I would ideally have my knee over the ripple strip and tyres using all the road ( t4 for instance, double apex 2 to be close to the left on exit to open 3. T1 knee over ripple on the left and exit right out to the right , 9 also) . Riding edge to edge I think straightens it all out a bit . There is time there.
    Last edited by stevem; 30-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Marcus, You might be able to use more of the track as opposed to riding in a lane. I notice you are in a 1/4 of the track where I would ideally have my knee over the ripple strip and tyres using all the road ( t4 for instance, double apex 2 to be close to the left on exit to open 3. T1 knee over ripple on the left and exit right out to the right , 9 also) . Riding edge to edge I think straightens it all out a bit . There is time there.
    Yes! This is something I need to be more conscious of. I think this is a bad habit from days when I would just trundle around happy to be out there not worrying about being quick. Thanks Steve. All great advice for the notebook!

Yeh wow. Great advice Steve. I think I do similar to what you do Marcus. I will get a camera on this friday and go for some advice here too. Your bike is so settled mate! No advice from me, other than slow down! I want a 40. And a 39.

Firstly, you are faster than me so this isn't a criticism....
    Given that the speed is accurate, actually in kph, and you are on a 1000, you should be getting to a higher top speed down the straight. (There are 600s getting to 270 down there in Supersport) That would be an easy win....right?

Quote Originally Posted by BR View Post
    Firstly, you are faster than me so this isn't a criticism....
    Given that the speed is accurate, actually in kph, and you are on a 1000, you should be getting to a higher top speed down the straight. (There are 600s getting to 270 down there in Supersport) That would be an easy win....right?
    yeah, top speed was down that day. I've seen 260 via the timer.

Lol zoid, follow me on the 6th for 40s and possibly lower! Krack, your exit of t4 is deep and it kills your speed around t5 as you are tight going into it. Really work on staying on the t4 curb and that will then open up t5 for you. Also t2 and t9 you had a wide line. Double apex t2 and get right on the last bit of curb for t9. T12 your apex is early which costs you time onto the straight. And like Marshy said, get a qs!!! makes it o so easy, i realised this when i rode the wet r6 without a working qs at asbk hahahaha
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    Lol zoid, follow me on the 6th for 40s and possibly lower!
    This!!!!
    It'll be a conga line he'll follow you, I'll follow him.
    I tried following you last session and u pulled a PB on me...,

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I tried following you last session and u pulled a PB on me...,
    sorry about that one plumb, the planets aligned and everything was screaming push! so i did hahaha Im just chilling this day, getting stu going and playing on another used tyre
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Lol zoid, follow me on the 6th for 40s and possibly lower! Krack, your exit of t4 is deep and it kills your speed around t5 as you are tight going into it. Really work on staying on the t4 curb and that will then open up t5 for you. Also t2 and t9 you had a wide line. Double apex t2 and get right on the last bit of curb for t9. T12 your apex is early which costs you time onto the straight. And like Marshy said, get a qs!!! makes it o so easy, i realised this when i rode the wet r6 without a working qs at asbk hahahaha
    Was the exit from t4 the 1st lap in vid (which I fucked up) or in general. And yes, T9 requires some apex attention. Thanks Carl.

Was the exit from t4 the 1st lap in vid (which I fucked up) or in general. And yes, T9 requires some apex attention. Thanks Carl.
    In general Krack... get your knee over that t4 curb and stay there for ages, resist the temptation to crach the gas harder. This will help you stay over to the right and open up t5... (also negates the bumps )
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Copy that Carl! Slow down for a couple of laps and I'll try and see where you go. Quickshifter is on my list. If only i knew someone that knew a guy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you get your ass all the way to the back of the bike under hard braking........ that might settle the rear under braking as i could see the rear moving around a bit into 2 and 9 for example and it upset your turn in. Other than that a few corners as has been mentioned already just need a little tidy and you will be really shifting like seriously quick !! ........ oh and get a quickshifter aye

Yeah Stu. I've been conscious of doing this. i was going in the wrong direction with setup. I'll try the adjustments marshy mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    Do you get your ass all the way to the back of the bike under hard braking........ that might settle the rear under braking as i could see the rear moving around a bit into 2 and 9 for example and it upset your turn in. Other than that a few corners as has been mentioned already just need a little tidy and you will be really shifting like seriously quick !! ........ oh and get a quickshifter aye

hey your not the only one on used tyres !! i cant remember what the front has done and the rear is a used Marty gift

yeh but you're slow... it could have been worse, could have been my hand me downs!!!!! BAHAHHAHAHAHHA
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

anyone want a pain in da bum 21 year old puurlease get in touch

anyone want a pain in da bum 21 year old puurlease get in touch
    God help me ... I'll swap you a grunting 16yo (with a broke collar bone) that way I'll be 5 years a head - even throw in his XR and M600 as a sweetener - only 100hours to go for Ps

If you throw in his bike with the sale, I might be interested. Good fertiliser from young bones.

haha he dont have a bike !! ROFL hahahahahaha he borrows mine and his mums !!!!! hahahahahaha

haha he dont have a bike !! ROFL hahahahahaha he borrows mine and his mums !!!!! hahahahahaha
    Boom tish!

No deal.

So I was mulling over all this great advice on the way home from work and and what I liked most was that all the suggestions are risk free. Mostly track position, setup ect. No body has said "brake later, accelerate harder, lean further". Essentially free speed if I can put most of it all together. Thanks TT gang.

Another thought is that you're gripping the bars too much under heavy braking. By trying to engage your core and/or grip the tank with your legs, you can relax your arms and let the bike do all the work. If you're putting weight on the bars ie. Arms are stiff to help stop your body sliding forward under heavy braking, then you're preventing the front from moving to compensate for the forces over braking etc. Resulting in that force being transferred to the rear, hence the rear moving around on you.

Well you can add tuck in properly on the straight cause that top speed just doesn't add up! Hahaha

It's actually only 1/2 joke tbh, cause I see loads of ppl who just won't tuck behind the screen... could never understand race bikes with dark screens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I see loads of ppl who just won't tuck behind the screen... could never understand race bikes with dark screens!
    Dark screen + dark visor = zero vision.

Ummmm, I try to tuck behind the screen! Unfortunately my fat tum-tum gets in the way. Not that I'm quite in his league (yet) but I remember Philby Lovett telling me he was much quicker on the bike when he lost some weight. I wonder how much of it was getting more fully behind the screen?

Dark screen + dark visor = zero vision.

Ummmm, I try to tuck behind the screen! Unfortunately my fat tum-tum gets in the way. Not that I'm quite in his league (yet) but I remember Philby Lovett telling me he was much quicker on the bike when he lost some weight. I wonder how much of it was getting more fully behind the screen?
    Soo.. clear visor tint screen ok?
    Suzuki clear visor bubble is distorted/ninja clear vibrates badly or light tinted bubble(6'1)stuggle to get behind fully.

Well you can add tuck in properly on the straight cause that top speed just doesn't add up! Hahaha

It's actually only 1/2 joke tbh, cause I see loads of ppl who just won't tuck behind the screen... could never understand race bikes with dark screens!
    I think a QS will show big improvements in top speed and also a sneaking suspicion I'm not using WOT. Top speed (260??) is only a bit higher than what I was getting on the old Suzuki.

I just punched all these suggestions into the optimum lap velociputer and I should be doing 1.28's.

I think a QS will show big improvements in top speed and also a sneaking suspicion I'm not using WOT. Top speed (260??) is only a bit higher than what I was getting on the old Suzuki.

I just punched all these suggestions into the optimum lap velociputer and I should be doing 1.28's.
    There is 1:38's there quite soon. Your riding well man. Maybe an R6 throttle tube to get it to wide open easier.

:
    The top speed thing could also be your gearing being a bit too long. Plenty of 600s hitting 260+ on the straight... mine got 261 on racechrono and it's almost stock so you should be seeing a fair bit more than that!

The top speed thing could also be your gearing being a bit too long. Plenty of 600s hitting 260+ on the straight... mine got 261 on racechrono and it's almost stock so you should be seeing a fair bit more than that!
    The gearing feels great everywhere else. Don't use 4th anywhere other than down the straight and between 1 and 2. If doing the Nth circuit I briefly hit 4th down the back straight.

Hidden Valley sitting on the Duck tail of my monster (and barely seeing due to eyes look through top of head = blurry) gave me 1/2-1 sec and 5 -10kmh

Ie belly in seat cavity

I've subscribe to this thread all good info on here.
    Another fan of the QS here, and the quick Turn throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My speedo can show 286 and computime shows up to 294. Based on gearing commander the 286 speedo reading is correct. I have noticed an 8kph difference in top speed depending on how I come onto the straight. When you add it up around the track ie, top speeds, braking for turn 2 up to 240, into 4 190, into 6 190, into 11 over 200 your exit speed off the turns compounds pretty quickly. Like your exit out of 2 can have a +10kph difference at 4.

Sounds the same for me. I've only had one day with a GPS laptimer and I saw a maximum of 265 down the straight. My turn 11 to 12 sucks though, so hopefully I can fix that soon.

lol last time at asbk apparantly i was doing 270 i think it said... speedangle top speed ever was 252 (did it 3 times). I think there are a looooooooot of differing gps speeds around
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

lol last time at asbk apparantly i was doing 270 i think it said... speedangle top speed ever was 252 (did it 3 times). I think there are a looooooooot of differing gps speeds around
    Where do they get their speeds from? I for some reason thought they had a speed trap?

But did it have lean angle data?? Because without lean angle, all other data is useless

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Where do they get their speeds from? I for some reason thought they had a speed trap?
    I believe they do. Not sure where/how though. Might be a Computime thing? Rather than permanently installed at the track. Not sure.

i have no idea but i highly doubt i was cracking 270 down the straight.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

At ASBK they had another box set up on the pit wall which I assumed to be the speed trap. it wasn't where you would expect it to be though, still well before the end of the grandstand where most bikes are pulling peak kph, but no where near the finish line. maybe it was an average speed setup but they got the distance wrong

If the computime times are out by close to 20kph then that is scandalous. Seriously. Those times go on the official record.

I'd believe Computime over Lean Dangle.....

1/10 of a difference from official timing to my Speedangle. So technically my best is a 1.40.9

Time wise there was a tenth difference between my gps data and the computime data. Speed wise, there was around 18kph difference every lap. Dunno what that means tho hahahha
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Time wise there was a tenth difference between my gps data and the computime data. Speed wise, there was around 18kph difference every lap. Dunno what that means tho hahahha
    I think you might be on to something Carl. The NATSOFT times seem closer to the Speedangle times I've seen. So maybe it's a problem with Computimes set up? ??

Thread Information