Thread: Carburettor Heating Circuit - Australian Emissions Standards - Needed Track Bikes?

Carburettor Heating Circuit - Australian Emissions Standards - Needed Track Bikes?

I've started playing around with the carburettors on a spare Ninja 250 to set it up for pod filters.

I've noticed that there is a cooling system circuit that flows through the carburettors from the LHS side just after the radiator and rejoins on the RHS just before it. I can't find any reference to this circuit on US (2008-2012 pre FI) or UK bikes (circuit doesn't appear in the FI service manual). It looks like a heating circuit for the carbs. I did find a reference to this being specific for Australian emissions standards on startup, to heat the fuel, but haven't seen any further fuller details of what time period it came in.

I guess other carburettor bikes in AU had to comply as well and would have had similar type circuits for emissions purposes, (I suppose it also helps with carburettor icing).

Anyway my question is: Is it really needed for track bikes? Predominately run at SMSP? Obviously I don't care about emissions, and I would have thought carb icing problems would be rare at SMSP other than in the dead of winter on foggy days.

So wondering if anyone else with a carburettor bike has some across this and has some opinions they could share?

I assume I can just completely remove the circuit from the carbs and plug both of the lines coming off the main cooling lines?

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out what 'carburettors' are.....
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out what 'carburettors' are.....
    Your an FI man Nick ... thought the master of all things green might know? So did you unbar Wetty?

I cleaned a carburettor once, in the late 90s, but there's been no follow up since.

His Wetness was never barred, just moderated. But he's never posted again. I doubt he checks in here anymore, although he's welcome to of course. So long as he's not a dickhead.

Funny story.... just read an article (you might've heard it on the radio or tv too) saying that half the people you think of as friends, don't think of you the same way! It occurred to me that Wetty fits that bill neatly. Over the last almost 20 years, I've always thought of him as a friend (and very occasionally he's sort of nice to me), but recently I've come to the slowly-dawning realisation that he doesn't really like me at all. I feel a little like I imagine a guy would feel that thought he was blind for many years, only one day to discover he was simply wearing too large a hat.

Link: http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/05...-a-friend.html
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I thought Wetty was like that with everyone ... you two are just like Schwantz and Rainey.

Carbs are amazing bits of kit, going to be interesting to see if I can make them work with pod filters.

R6
    Over the last almost 20 years, I've always thought of him as a friend (and very occasionally he's sort of nice to me), but recently I've come to the slowly-dawning realisation that he doesn't really like me at all. I feel a little like I imagine a guy would feel that thought he was blind for many years, only one day to discover he was simply wearing too large a hat.

Well the less negative people in your life the better. Im always trying to be positive and happy and surround myself with the same people. Who wants a wet blanket ( no pun intended ) constantly making things miserable in a world where optimism can be so helpful to a happy healthy lifestyle.

Haters always gonna hateā€¦.. the rest of us can smile and enjoy life on two wheels.

Thread Information