Thread: AABT (Another Aprilia Build Thread)

AABT (Another Aprilia Build Thread)

Sooooo.... the delivery driver turned up at 7:30pm tonight with the start of another project. And no, I don't know why I keep torturing myself!

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Your new bike No.2 or a client build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yiewww!! That motor looks in excellent condition!!
    Them bronze case covers tells me it's a goodun too!
    You need a new trolley tho, please get one... It's killing me.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Your new bike No.2 or a client build?
    The No.2 bike is sitting on the floor, and on the engine stand, waiting to go together. This is No.3. I still had a frame, swingarm, forks, triples and wheels left over (which always said 'another bike' to me, not 'spares' or 'parts to sell'), so I needed a motor, a subframe, wiring loom, dash and a few other things, which all just arrived courtesy of Ben Reid's garage sale late last week. Get in while the going's good!

One of them will be for sale. One will be for keeping. They will both get all the same stuff, and the same work (ie the valve springs and retainers replaced, so they don't drop valves). This motor is a 2010, the other is a 2011, both Factory. Same same.

damn, I love these build threads, but can u make it another R6 instead soooooooooon ... plzzzzzzzzz
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Update time! The valve springs and retainers have just been ordered from Aprilia Australia. And nice new fairings are here waiting. So I thought I'd better get building.

Rolling chassis, and nearly ready for a motor (not quite, but getting there):

ahhh rolling chassis the one thing that annoys me with the Ducati s the rear wheel attached to the engine

So this is a 2010 motor without aPRC??? Or are you putting the 10 motor in with an 11 harness and aPRC ect?

I'm so confused now...

Good call with the valve springs and retainers.

It's an 09 frame, with a '10 motor (from an unrelated road bike with 4.5k kms), and '12 harness and ECU (hopefully a Race one if I can find one). So it'll have aPRC

Plus it has 30mm NIX carts, a TTX GP shock, aftermarket adjustable triples, Motoholders fairing stay, woodcraft rearsets, a Brembo 19x20 GP master (which is the setting we always run on the RCS, so it's same same), aftermarket braided lines, 520 DID chain and sprockets, keyless ignition and probably more I'm forgetting right now.

This was gonna be my wet/Clubsport bike until I bought X.

Very nice !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post

One of them will be for sale. One will be for keeping. They will both get all the same stuff, and the same work (ie the valve springs and retainers replaced, so they don't drop valves). This motor is a 2010, the other is a 2011, both Factory. Same same.
    Nick i remember you mentioning this a while back when i spoke to you and would love to know some more about this.

I'm reluctant to track my 2010 until I've got this sorted (as you got me paranoid :P).

What exactly are you replacing with later model parts? ( valve springs, retainers anything else?) How much do these parts cost?
    What are the rough labour costs/time involved in doing this?
    This will be a motor out of bike service i presume but will the heads have to come off or can this be done with heads on the bike? (sorry i have no idea about this stuff)

Cheers mate

Alex

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Some people thrash their pre-2013 motors for years on track and have no problems, but others get 6-10 days on track before they let go. Anecdotally it seems that if it doesn't go bang in the first 10 trackdays, you're probably fine for good.

However, replacement motors are 1. hard to find, and 2. expensive. So, better safe than sorry!

I'm replacing inlet and exhaust springs and retainers. They come as a kit (per valve) with the retainers etc all included with the new springs. They need to be the "2014 Spec" valve kits, part numbers 2R000037 and 2R000038. In terms of cost, they are 'sit-down-before-I-tell-you-so-you-don't-pass-out' prices.... roughly $900 per motor, just for the spring kits. Plus all the special tools needed, so you'd need an Aprilia mechanic. I bought all the tools a while back, and it was over $1k (and I got good pricing from Aprilia).

I have no idea how long it'll take to do (I haven't done it yet), but it's gonna be a fairly big job I suspect. The heads shouldn't need to come off.

Call Ben Reid. Get him to do it for you. He'll have the bits. And I suspect nobody would be quicker than Ben to do the work.

900 for springs and retainers????? God forbid you ever need valves...

thanks for the info Nick.

Well mine has done about 10 track days now (7 or 8 P.I. and 2x Broadfords) and before that 14,000kms on the road. I had my valve clearances adjusted before i tracked the bike and its been fine since.

Mmmm yeah i was expecting something expensive so $900 is about what i've been budgeting ( i was standing by the way haha). I was thinking just as a wild guess getting this done would cost me around $2-3k :( which is a pain in the ass but like you said id rather be safe than sorry.

So are you going to do this yourself? id be keen to see how you go and whats involved.

Im just about to head overseas so have been putting this off but might give Ben a call when i get back and save up some money and get it sorted out.

Is this the main thing that lets go (valve springs/valve) in the early motors or are there issues with the cam chain and tensioner as well? Mine does seem to of gotten a bit more noisy (or maybe i'm just hearing things as a result of paranoia)

Sometimes i really wish i would of stuck with a Jap bike so i could spend money on track days and not maintenance and bullshit like this.

Sorry to highjack your thread anyway mate and good luck with the build.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

The chain tenisoner you will never fix. Its just noisy, dont worry about it.

Old engine is conrods, valves, springs. They are the failure bits

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This ^^

Aprilia says run 15-50 oil in the 09-10 motors, to help reduce the rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Old engine is conrods, valves, springs. They are the failure bits
    thanks Kris. I know the 09 had some problem with the conrods failing but wasn't that the first batch that was then covered under warranty? Or is that an ongoing issue not related to the faulty batch?

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Its too hard to say, clearly there was a fault that caused Aprilia to replace them but out of the engines ive known to go bang, and ive known a fair few its always been a conrod or valve issue (valve dropped etc)

I've not heard of conrod issues in anything other than the early 09 motors. And I'm told (by Ben, and Nathan) that it's the springs that cause the valves to drop, not the actual valves themselves. I sincerely hope that's right, because as Ed said, if just the valve springs are so exxy, I hate to think what the valves cost!

About $2000 for a set of valves I sold a set with retainers to a guy in Sweden

Shiiiit. Are 2nd hand ones worth anything? Cos I just threw a heap in the bin.

The titanium ones might be, im not really sure! The steel ones arent, they are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    You need a new trolley tho, please get one... It's killing me.
    I saw, in person this trolley today Owen and I feel your pain.

He tried telling me it's custom bent to deliver excess oil directly to the awaiting rags....

Sent from my iPh

You have to admit, it does funnel the oil quite effectively!!

Oh, we didn't get pics! Gotta do that. One head is off, getting the valve springs replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I saw, in person this trolley today Owen and I feel your pain.

He tried telling me it's custom bent to deliver excess oil directly to the awaiting rags....

Sent from my iPh
    It's a joke, isn't it?! I'm gonna lose that for you one day, Marshy...

Ha! You'll appreciate its value one day. We just dumped half-an-engine's worth of oil on it, and it didn't spill a drop on the carpet! Collected it all around, and drained to the low-spot on one side. Like a bought one!!

The engine stand has the other motor still in it, so we are doing Luke's motor on the trolley!! Perfect. The right tool for the job

The 'Italian' method??... Germans would never approve.

So as the R1 is now gone, well paid for anyway, I decided I'd get another bike. It wasn't productive having two different bikes. trying to improve my riding was going to be a nightmare jumping from one bike to another. The R1 was fantastic but to expensive to have two and I'm no ware up to racing in just in unlimited, clubsport'svwhere it at for me.

And we'll this is it!!! It's basically the same as my current ape, (0913)

An 09 factory w-2012 electronics & aPRC and a 13 motor, due to my dropped valve at Race your mates. This bike is awaiting another little extra that should hopefully arrived before ST George (mind games fur Nafe)

The new bike has some really nice bits on it, that down the track will go over to 0913, and this will become the spare/wet bike. A little over the top for a beginner, but as I seem to have a bike out of action most of the time, it should save me some down time.

Sent from my iPh
    Last edited by Ruckos87; 23-07-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Congrats mate! This is gonna be a really nice bike. Thanks for your help with the motor It was a lot easier and quicker than I thought (so far, anyway. Valve clearances and redoing the timing are much more time consuming). I was expecting it to be more involved, but taking the heads off is actually very easy.

Congrats mate!!
    Ah well, the R1 was a great fun excercise anyhow!
    Are you doing any go-fast mods to this or do we have to wait and see??

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Congrats mate!!
    Ah well, the R1 was a great fun excercise anyhow!
    Are you doing any go-fast mods to this or do we have to wait and see??
    There's a real fancy one going on the current bike that you'll have to wait for
    This one will get a motion pro turn throttle and some bling, carbon covers left have switch block ect ect but after is built, more than likely I'll swap out suspension at the same time.

Sent from my iPh

Oh and a quick shifter of course

Sent from my iPh

Hey Nick- Hows this motor upgrade going? Run into any issues installing the new springs? Do you have to remove the heads to install the new parts or just the cams?

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Thread Information