Hello all! I have an update for you.

Picking up where I left off pre-holiday (was amanzing, thanks) I got this as a non runner. Had been running, but wouldn’t start when i went to check it out.

Every time I tried to start it the starter relay solenoid would click, and the dash lights would blink.

Decided a few weeks ago that enough was enough and I was going to completely exhaust my options or just take it to someone to get fixed.

I started with the solenoid. Swapped it out with one from eBay but had the same problem. I had power going into it, and out, but it wouldn’t spin the starter motor. So I started thinking about the starter motor. Pulled that out and tested it on the battery but it wouldn’t spin. Pulled it apart and discovered that 2 of the 4 magnets inside weren’t getting power. Found a new starter motor on eBay. Put that in. Same problem.

Every time I’ve looked this issue up everyone points to the battery as the problem. So, got a new battery. Same problem. At this point I’m ready to kick the thing over. I decided to go through and test everything again. I pull the starter motor out, give it power while earthed to the battery and it spins. Put it back in, and the problem happens. Started thinking maybe it’s not earthing correctly on the engine so I clean up the mounts but doesn’t solve the issue.

At this point I decided it’s time to start pulling the case covers off. The starter gear fell out when i pulled the cover but i’m not sure if that was because the outside of the cover keeps it in place. I put it back in place then with the stator cover off hit the start button. It fires for the first time.

I put the cover back on and try to fire it up again. Problem returns.

I decide to take the stator out completely, put the cover back on, and then we have this.

Bit of a strange one…

Anyway, I can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to be out on track with this one (relatively) soon.

Can anyone see any issues with running this without a stator? I'm not really sure how total loss systems work and whether it's just a matter of unplugging or if I need to get something else in there to keep things working properly. I've no problem charging the battery between sessions would just rather not spend a couple hundred bucks on a new stator as IT STILL MIGHT NOT EVEN BE THE PROBLEM!