Thread: Suspension Rebound Explanation Needed

Suspension Rebound Explanation Needed

Hey guys rookie question but thought id ask anyway.

Im very much a goon with understanding all the differences suspension settings make to a bike but just want someone to explain to me more about rebound.
    Ive played with my comp settings to no avail and want to try rebound to see if i can get this bike a bit more ridable over bumpy victorian roads.

I'm more so needing this info for my street bike setup (2015 MV F3 800)..i have had it re-valved and re-sprung and its much much better but i'm still really struggling on high speed bumps (100kph+ corners or straights) with the back end feeling very harsh and unsettling the whole chassis. I have had a big tank slapper exiting a corner which really sapped my confidence.

On smooth roads the bike is amazing but over semi rough roads i just don't like it..out of all the bikes i've had its been the worst.

Can someone please describe what

-A lack of rebound would do to the bike. What will it feel like? What will it do to the handling?
    -Too much rebound would do to the bike? what does that feel like?

Any particular wear that the tyre will show with either too much/too little rebound? Will i be able to determine this from tyre wear?

Any help would be appreciated and looking forward to hearing some thoughts. I dunno if you guys mess around with rebound much on track but keen to see what you think as i have no idea and just ride as it all seems too confusing for me.

Cheers guys

Alex
    Last edited by WRCPUG; 14-06-2016 at 10:01 PM.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

You need some kind of suspension setup guide....

http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...ike-telling-me
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Thanks Sicko- i had a good read over that and its super helpful. Ill see if i can dig up some more info and get Daz at Race Centre to try out some more settings.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

No worries man! A bit of trial and error is useful too, as long as you're careful.
    Try lapping the same lines at as consistent a pace as you can, whilst making gradual adjustments and seeing how they feel.
    Then post back here and tell everybody how awesome at listening to the bike you are!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Im trying to get this purely setup for the street as i don't ride the F3 on track so ill try maybe hit the same road over and over with different settings.
    PS- Im not a good listener and don't speak bike haha

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Ridden a mates F3 and found it a reasonable handful on the road. Might be more a geometry issue than anything else. Even the 675 has pretty crazy headshake coming out of corners.

Do your sag settings then always work on your rebound 1st.... then move on to comp

Quote Originally Posted by Binksy View Post
    Ridden a mates F3 and found it a reasonable handful on the road. Might be more a geometry issue than anything else. Even the 675 has pretty crazy headshake coming out of corners.
    Yeah when i had the suspension valved and sprung by Daz at Race Centre he tried to explain to me the rear shock to linkage ratio is wildly different to a lot of other bikes. I didn't quite understand all of what he was saying but he spent a lot of time swapping out different spring rates and made a lot of internal changes to the front forks including extending them and machining up some custom parts to adjust the bikes geometry.

He mentioned that the bike has a very short wheelbase and it will be more flighty than most other bikes. I also went for a ride a few weeks ago with Steve Mudford from Race Dynamics and he had recently setup an F3 and mentioned similar findings to what Daz had mentioned. Again i'm not very good at explaining things so maybe i'm missing other things they have mentioned.

I have only had this massive head shake on 1 or 2 occasions once on a fast 120kph sweeper with a big bump at the exit. Other than that the tight 2nd gear corners on the mountain passes i do the front seems to behave itself quite well even without a Steering Damper. Before i had the suspension setup i had some pretty unnerving head-shake just taking off from a set of traffic lights on a slight uphill at 60kph.

God damn stupid Italian Wog bikes why do i always make things hard for myself

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

If it was me and just a roadbike I'd just put a bandaid over the problem and get a steering dampener....

Thread Information