Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-factor.......?

X-factor.......?

As most of you know, I haven't really found the magic with the new Aprilia. I think it just doesn't really suit my (600-bred) style. I'm still working on geometry, on rear linkages, on suspension setup etc, and I'm sure I'll get it working soon.

In the meantime, I really miss the good bits of the old model RSV4. Having (perhaps prematurely) sold the trick '14 with WSBK electronics recently, I couldn't resist a deal on a 2011 with a new '13 motor and some cams and pistons etc. The motor was built by Ben Reid, who is Australia's doyen of making the V4 go very fast. I've always wanted to see whether the 'old' motor, but with some extra ponies, would deliver the mid-range torque and corner exit drive that seems to be a bit lacking on the new bike but was the highlight of the old bike, without also getting hosed down the straight.

Enter the X:

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Ooooooooh, WOW!! There are some seriously trick bits on this bike!!
    Did you notice the failures/differences when you had the #1 + #2 bikes back to back? Or did you get rid of the #2 before it was properly dialled in?

So, am I right in thinking this should feel like your previous #1 bike, before BMWgate, but with more power??
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    So, am I right in thinking this should feel like your previous #1 bike, before BMWgate, but with more power??
    That's the hope! My theory is that it doesn't have all the lightweight top-end internals to spin up as quickly as the '15, but yet with the raised comp, race pistons and cams, it'll have the old motor's thumpy torque but with more top end. Or I could be wrong. But I can't wait to find out!

I hardly did any laps at all on the '14, so I never gave it a good chance. But it had the stock motor, so no extra power, despite the trick electronics. The drive off the turns was still a standout compared to the '15. This one should have more ponies. Plus all the other good bits. I've never equipped a bike with this much aftermarket stuff! It's pretty cool

I love the clip-ons!! The triples are a work of art too.

It's got 30mm NIX carts, but there's a 'Reb' label over the Comp writing on the comp leg (they are usually comp on one fork and rebound on the other), so I'm hazarding a guess that it's been converted to a conventional cart setup, with rebound at the top of both and comp at the bottom. I'm keen to explore further!

Very slick,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd seen this on FB. Notice it already had your name on it.

Very nice Nick!!

That's a monster nick, very nice! I saw this for sale, an the thought did cross my mind at the time 🏻

He advertised it at the beginning of April, but nobody bought it. Surprised me, because it's a shitload of bike for the money. The motor alone is worth the price of admission, although I guess it's not as appealing as the '15-16 bike.
    Then of course there's the potential overheads of having a modded motor. Reliability, cost, rebuild frequency etc.
    But for me, it's perfect! It meets a clear need that I had - on paper at least. The proof will be in the pudding.

X-factor.......?

So clubsport next year?

-edit- if you still have it

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    So clubsport next year?

-edit- if you still have it
    That's the plan! And the BEARS nationals, which includes the St George rounds at the Creek. Care to join me??

Spec list:

• Brand new 2013 engine, one race meet old,
    • Robby Moto pistons and cams,
    • Aprilia SBK anti volume insert, jets, rails, and sprayer,
    • Aprilia SBK head gaskets,
    • Aprilia light weight DLC tappets, ported heads, race seats,
    • Bazzaz fueling,
    • Engine internals super finished,
    • Undercut gearbox, and WSBK slipper clutch
    • Ohlins forks, 30mm catridges with 105nm springs,
    • Ohlins TTX rear shock with 105nm spring,
    • Folding Brembo RCS19 master,
    • Folding Brembo clutch lever,
    • Brembo T drive disks,
    • Brembo Z04 race pads and HEL braided lines;
    • Full Akrapovic Evo 2 titanium system and Aprilia Corse ECU,
    • IMA titanium triple clamp, and bars,
    • Motion Pro quick action throttle;
    • Techspec Tank Grips,
    • Lightech carbon frame and swingarm covers,
    • 520 chain conversion,
    • Race Seat from Italy,
    • Racers Edge fairings with WSBK colour and decal scheme,
    • Accossato quick turn, keyless fuel cap,
    • Push button start (no key), and aftermarket switch blocks,
    • motoholders fairing stay,
    • Top spec Lightech Folding rearsets (with some spares);
    • GB racing case covers;
    • Aprilia Racing frame sliders;
    • Gilles tooling chain adjusters;

So much bling-trickery and with your name already stickered on it. How could you not.
    Just looking at it made we want to buy more parts I don't actually need but suddenly must have.
    I can't wait to hear how she goes.
    P.S. Who tidied your garage and how on earth will you find anything now?
    2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    P.S. Who tidied your garage and how on earth will you find anything now?
    It's always Owen's fault!!! Always. Even when it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    That's the plan! And the BEARS nationals, which includes the St George rounds at the Creek. Care to join me??
    Maybe not nationals but deft all St George. I need to see how I go in August 1st

I'm not an Aprillia person but that makes me want one - badly. Very nice.

Very Nice there Nick.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

jesus thats a beauty...is that cade simpsons is saw for sale?

lucky man that things mint

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

I just noticed the Race centre sticker on the fork....you better give Daz a call about what he's done. They do their valving a little different to most other tuners so what you would normally change adjust may not apply to those forks. If he has worked on it though it will be a weapon

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

It's always Owen's fault!!! Always. Even when it's not.

Oi!! I resemble that comment!!

Wow thats alot of extra machining and finishing in that motor. Easily over 6k worth just in superfinishing and dlc coat. Let alone the undercut box and head work.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    superfinishing and dlc coat.
    I have no idea what these things mean. The rest I understand. He said almost $10k for the motor work, plus the cost of the new motor!

Good work mate, will hopefully help you get your mojo back permanently.

Amazing spec list! I've just got used to the IMA triple clamps and I love them now, took a day or two to adjust.

Come and join Brett and I in BEARS nationals mate, its good to ride diff circuits. You can't join me in clubsport though otherwise ill grass you up for having a 13 motor

PS Just swapped next Thurs to Weds so I can see you and Owen on your new steeds......

PPS Already told my Aprilia riding teammates........I know how you girls like to gossip about your bikes......
    Last edited by Wolfie57; 20-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 & 1991 Honda CBR250RR
    Team GASD Racing
    Sponsored by: GASD, ASR Wealth Advisers, MYM Consulting, Woolich, Cutting Edge Motorcycle Paint Shop, ASBG, HELD Australia, JW Moto Parts, Canberra Motorcycle Centre, Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie57 View Post
    Good work mate, will hopefully help you get your mojo back permanently.

Amazing spec list! I've just got used to the IMA triple clamps and I love them now, took a day or two to adjust.

Come and join Brett and I in BEARS nationals mate, its good to ride diff circuits. You can't join me in clubsport though otherwise ill grass you up for having a 13 motor

PS Just swapped next Thurs to Weds so I can see you and Owen on your new steeds......

PPS Already told my Aprilia riding teammates........I know how you girls like to gossip about your bikes......
    Thanks maaaate!! I'm hoping it will do the trick. I'm trying some stuff with The Fifteen too, so either way I plan on being fast again.

I'm def in for BEARS Nationals next year. And Clubsport! Fortunately for me, the motor year isn't a rule. Only the frame and compliance plate need to be compliant.

Fuck yeah!! Gonna be a great day!!

Thanks maaaate!! I'm hoping it will do the trick. I'm trying some stuff with The Fifteen too, so either way I plan on being fast again.

I'm def in for BEARS Nationals next year. And Clubsport! Fortunately for me, the motor year isn't a rule. Only the frame and compliance plate need to be compliant.
    We'll just have to make sure we are out on track at the same time to keep the mojo flowing! I'll get the camera ready....

Bugger I should have got a newer motor put in
    Team GASD Racing
    Sponsored by: GASD, ASR Wealth Advisers, MYM Consulting, Woolich, Cutting Edge Motorcycle Paint Shop, ASBG, HELD Australia, JW Moto Parts, Canberra Motorcycle Centre, Suzuki

We'll just have to make sure we are out on track at the same time to keep the mojo flowing! I'll get the camera ready....

Bugger I should have got a newer motor put in
    Fo shizzle!!

Don't worry - your stock 2010 BMW motor will still have more power than my modded thing

• Undercut gearbox, and WSBK slipper clutch
    So how does this set up compare to an actual auto blip ??
    I've never had a slipper clutch properly explained to me ??

So how does this set up compare to an actual auto blip ??
    I've never had a slipper clutch properly explained to me ??

Unfortunately they are two different things :(

A slipper clutch is designed to slip on the downshifts (ie turning backwards), to prevent 'compression lockup' (as it used to be known) of the back wheel. So the clutch slips as you let the clutch out (or dump it) on a downshift, instead of immediately locking up. If you 'blip' on the downchanges, you don't really use the slipper function. I've never been able to blip, so it's useful for me!

Unfortunately they are two different things :(

A slipper clutch is designed to slip on the downshifts (ie turning backwards), to prevent 'compression lockup' (as it used to be known) of the back wheel. So the clutch slips as you let the clutch out (or dump it) on a downshift, instead of immediately locking up. If you 'blip' on the downchanges, you don't really use the slipper function. I've never been able to blip, so it's useful for me!
    Ahhh ok.
    the corse Ecu has reduced engine breaking already,, so locking up should be harder

You might need to fit one...

X-factor.......?

It's got one!!!

It's got one!!!

Not the ecu. The blipper, or have I missed it?

Not the ecu. The blipper, or have I missed it?

Sorry, I thought you meant the ecu. Once you find us a suitable blipper, I'll buy one

Dlc (Diamond like Coating) is a material chemically bonded to the surface of the piece you are working that fills imperfections and cracks and makes a "perfect" surface with reduced friction, means it makes stuff slippy, less friction = less heat= less power loss= less wear on parts. superfinishing is the process of machining and post machine work to a near perfect surface without chemical adjusment. This helps to reduce crack propagation, etc and does teh same kinda things as dlc, less friction = less heat= less power loss= less wear on parts. But this also helps gear meshing and oil drag etc. Both very expensive processes to get done. The other one is cryogenic processing the components. < that one makes dlc and superfinishing look cheap.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Dlc (Diamond like Coating) is a material chemically bonded to the surface of the piece you are working that fills imperfections and cracks and makes a "perfect" surface with reduced friction, means it makes stuff slippy, less friction = less heat= less power loss= less wear on parts. superfinishing is the process of machining and post machine work to a near perfect surface without chemical adjusment. This helps to reduce crack propagation, etc and does teh same kinda things as dlc, less friction = less heat= less power loss= less wear on parts. But this also helps gear meshing and oil drag etc. Both very expensive processes to get done. The other one is cryogenic processing the components. < that one makes dlc and superfinishing look cheap.
    Thank you kind sir! Awesome info

Aprilia use DLC on the intake buckets on the previous gen engines and on the intake, exhaust buckets on the new engine as well as the gearbox in certain spots.

If you buy the Aprilia Racing SBK 1 ring pistons, you get it on the pistons too - the ENTIRE piston!

The CRT/MotoGP engine uses it on the camshafts and alot of the rotating engine parts inside to reduce friction

12036625_1079816552031084_5505490053477840943_n.jpg

Here is a very rare photo inside a non gear drive CRT engine, billet aluminium cylinder heads and as you can see - DLC Coated fancy Camshafts

received_10207905394169418.jpeg
    Last edited by Kris; 21-06-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Whoa!! They are beeeeaaautiful!!! Is that what mine look like?? (I know they don't but just hoping....)

Unforunately not, Robby Moto dont use DLC on their pistons and the Superstock Aprilia ones also dont use DLC - to keep the costs undercontrol.

Wolfie 57 , Don't invite Marshy down for the BEARS in August. He doesnt play well with others, Ha,Ha

Intimidated by my awesomeness, Kimbo?

Yep, certainly is Marshy

Cryogenic freezer in the new shed Marshy? Why/how is the cryogenic procedure better than the others Carl? Awesome info, cheers.

cyrogenic is actually fairly cheap. Theres a very good guy near Emu Plains that does it, including crack testing, xraying etc.

Its designed to increase the hardness of a metal by changing the crystal structure of the metal itself. My gearbox in the RSV4 was cyro treated but now in the new RSV4 gearbox they DLC coat the gears and I suspect modified the dogs/metal/design to improve the durability as the old box has alot of issues.

Much more work has happened to X, and I like it more and more! There were a lot of bits that needed re-doing, and general tidying. Flushed the coolant system, as it's clearly had tap water in it at some point. Not badly rusted, but just enough to want to be really careful with it.

It had Samco hoses everywhere except the main one, upper right, in this pic. But it came in the spares bag with the bike, so I took the opportunity to fit it up. It makes all the difference!

Got the tweak out of the front end, from the tumble at a standstill on the right-hand side. And replaced the slightly bent bar. Used my favourite MotionPro clip-on alignment tool to get everything just right.

The battery that came with it is pretty new and a good one, but HEAVY! So instead of eating a bit less and losing some belly fat, I just bought a lightweight battery and had fried chicken for dinner. Winner! MCAS special el-crappo brand.

I like the custom Bazzas bracket! No, I can't take credit - it came with the bike. The reg rec doesn't live there; that was just temporary to start the bike.

Vitally important!! Changing to gold wheels from the black. This is worth 3 secs a lap, easy. I've lockwired them now too.

Changed out the Accosato quarter-turn cap for one that will take the quick fill Tuff jug nozzle.

Replaced the slightly bent shift knuckle, and fitted up an aftermarket shift support, which helps stop the shift shaft from bending.

And this is for you, Wolfie! For the 29th

Good work mate, its coming together nicely!

MotionPro clip-on alignment tool sounds interesting ill have to check that out...

My bike should be ready, we traced the issue to the quickshifter so having to replace it, my clumsy foot had half killed it!

Bring it on!!!
    Team GASD Racing

This is looking seriously trick!!
    How weird he left off the last hose?! Is it ok? No wee holes or anything...?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    This is looking seriously trick!!
    How weird he left off the last hose?! Is it ok? No wee holes or anything...?
    Good question. It had been fitted to something before, so I'm suspicious! It seems to not be 100% round on the bend, but it doesn't look like it's going to restrict flow. And it didn't leak when I ran it up to run the flush through, so here's hoping

My bike should be ready, we traced the issue to the quickshifter so having to replace it, my clumsy foot had half killed it!
    They do fail from time to time - I get calls from BMW owners about replacing the quickshifter. Glad it's sorted!!

MotionPro clip-on alignment tool sounds interesting ill have to check that out...
    Found it (finally): http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...ll=1#post26032

Thread Information