Thread: Crankshaft regrinding/lightening/balancing

Crankshaft regrinding/lightening/balancing

Since my engine is seized, there's a high chance the crank will need to be reground. If by some miracle it doesn't require regrinding, it will be sent away to have the counter balance gear removed anyway, and some other minor lightening and rebalancing done.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any high quality, respectable crank machining shops within the Sydney area. Failing that, I'll be happy to hear recommendations for any shops in Australia, since I'd rather ship the crank domestically, rather than ship it over to the states.

Also, as a side note, can the flywheel/rotor be machined somewhat to reduce mass without significantly affecting charging potential?

Banned
    You want to increase crankshaft inertia if anything, less wheelspin.
    What bike have you got.
    I removed the balance shaft and crank gear off my 04 CBR1000RR, didnt notice any more vibration.

Buy a new crank if damaged, and you need to buy a race specific rotor there's no way to lighten it with out rewinding it...cheaper to buy a race specific job if available
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Hmm, not much sense in buying a new crank, they are around $1400, that plus other rebuilding costs will throw it way over budget. I'm yet to get the engine out (fucking thrust adjusters) but there's been no metal filings in the oil, so hopefully the damage isn't too bad.

Thread Information