Thread: Thrust adjuster removal?

Thrust adjuster removal?

I'm dropping the engine in my k9 gsxr 1000 and I've hit a wall at the very last step before freeing the engine. The two rear engine mounts have a bolt going from one side of the engine to the other side, the picture below shows the right side of the bolt and what's involved with removing it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 6.15.47 PM.png

#28 is the engine mount nut. #29 is the thrust adjuster lock nut which requires a castle nut socket to remove. #30 is the thrust adjuster itself and is shown in the two pictures below.

IMG_5945.JPG

IMG_5947.JPG

I've removed the engine mount nut and the thrust adjuster lock nut, but for the life of me, I can not loosen the thrust adjuster, which is what will allow the engine to drop down. As can be seen in second picture, the head of the adjuster looks almost perfectly round, however the last picture shows that there are in fact very slight flat spots on it which would appear as though a socket can be used. All the gixxer forums say a 22mm socket is required, however my 22mm socket does not fit, and a 23mm is too big and spins, imperial sockets also do not fit.

My theory is that the 12 point 22mm socket I'm using can not fit over the relatively large corner sections of the thrust adjuster, I'm wondering if a 6 point 22mm socket would fit. I don't own one and don't know where I would get one, but regardless, I will certainly be able to do that tomorrow.

What I want to know, is if there is another way to loosen this thrust adjuster (without damaging it) without using as 6 point socket, purely because I would like to drop the engine and begin disassembling it tonight so that I can spend tomorrow inspecting damage and ordering parts, rather than spend tomorrow disassembling the engine.

Big shifter?
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

No room to fit one 😓

The lower rear mount is alright, but the upper one is about 2 inches embedded in the frame, can only just fit a big socket around it!

The service manual is absolutely no help. Just tells me to loosen it! No instructions on how to do that though!

Oh yeah, I see now. Silly design!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I think that's a job for a LOK-ON socket, no?
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Banned
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Va...gAAOSwKtlWo6js

Should be able to get one of these from a tool shop

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    I think that's a job for a LOK-ON socket, no?
    Those lok-on sets actually look awesome. I haven't rounded a single bolt yet though, thanks impact driver. There's practically no torque on the adjuster, so it's not hard to turn with the right socket.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPPERTON View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Va...gAAOSwKtlWo6js

Should be able to get one of these from a tool shop
    Turns out I needed a 23mm 6 point socket. Figured that out after I bought the 22mm one this morning, haha!

Thanks for the suggestions

Thread Information