Thread: R6 stalling problem

R6 stalling problem

So my r6 will start and idle fine, albeit slightly low in revs (around 1k when warm), but after going for a ride, if I pull the clutch and come to a stop, the engine will stall. The bike will start up just fine right after and idle fine, but when going to idle from revs, it stalls.

Anyone got any suggestions or experienced this before? It's an 06 r6 for the record.

Air filter. When was the last time you cleaned or replaced it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

The wet bike does that or did do that. I think its battery related because that issue moved over when i moved batteries from my dry bike to the wet bike. It also stopped when i then replaced the offending battery after my lithium battery arrived for the dry bike.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I also had issues similar to this. Check the battery the r6s are a bit funny and require a good battery to idle correctly. Mine would crank and start just fine but would carry on and stall out and not run correctly until the bike had charged the battery over a certain point.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

My did this with the full exhaust and not the standard, so there you have it... You're now more confused than before

Haha Jesus, I just wanna go fast!

Nah cheers for the suggestions boys. I'll check the air filter tomorrow, I'd doubt it's ever been changed. I thought they were an oil type filter though and needed replacing? Any idea if a k&n or bmc race filter would be worthwhile?

I'll check out the battery too, I've been thinking of replacing it for a lighter lithium one anyway (because I can't be stuffed losing the weight myself).

I've read on the r6 forum that people have had this problem when their valve clearances got very tight, so I'll probably give them a check too. The bikes only got 8300km on it, so if be very surprised if they were out of spec. Plus supposedly the throttle bodies can go out of sync also, causing sketchy idling etc.

So a big bunch of things to do. I'll try knock them all tomorrow and post back with my findings.

Also, anyone going to the track next Wednesday?

On a related note, how much do you guys usually pay for a shim exchange? I just went to my local dealer and he told me its $10 per shim if I bring in my old shim and swap it for one of theirs. That seems ludicrously expensive considering they aren't losing anything out of it and it's a piece of metal that weighs a couple of grams. The only thing it costs them is the time to find the shim I need.

In an unlikely scenario that I needed to change every shim, that's $160 in just shims, which seems like a huge joke. Am I wrong to feel this way? What does everyone else pay, or where do you get your shims from?

/rant

nah that price is silly for shims... I dont get my own, Craig at C&M does it so i cant help you there. Doubt the valves clearance makes the difference, i moved batteries over between bikes and the problem followed. Any good airfilter is fine, even the stock one with the intake restriction chopped off does ok. Bmc is nice tho.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Thought it was.

So the bikes already got a BMC air filter, and it's in good condition, so that's not the culprit. The bikes only got 8400km on the clock, but a fair amount of that is track kilometers, so the clearances could be fairly tight, but it's a painful job to check them, so I'll leave them.

I might give the battery a go. Where does someone go to get a relatively cheap lightweight lithium battery?

Marshy hooked me up with a decent one, can def vouch for it

Marshy or http://www.aussiesportsbikegear.com.au/ (Tristan). Either way will get you sorted out quick and easy.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    Marshy or http://www.aussiesportsbikegear.com.au/ (Tristan). Either way will get you sorted out quick and easy.

Need a LI Battery before PI but neither Marshy's or Tristan's web sites give ANY (apart from a single BMP on ASBG) information about batteries you know prices / equivalents etc ... seems to be a black art they are not alone MCAS is for a big company just crap info (list of batteries and minimal specs)
    Last edited by Linden; 03-08-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Link don't do them anymore, so I can't get them like I used to. I bought one recently from MCAS (urrgh, retail pricing!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Link don't do them anymore, so I can't get them like I used to. I bought one recently from MCAS (urrgh, retail pricing!!).
    wow quick response what was the MCAS ones like and which one did you get for what ?

I've got two mca ones but I've had mates that fail less than 1-2 mth old.
    Not sure where else to go battery world don't stock them and try to sell you a non lithium one every time I've asked.
    Mcas keep pretty good stock levels

Sent from my iPh

My MCAS one has gone flat twice now, in a month. I'm not sure if it's the bike or the battery.....

Just give tristan a message. He got mine sorted in two weeks i think and that was with him being overseas at the time. Good price anti-gravity battery, that i havnt had to charge ever, and its small and its lightweight.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

+1 on that
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Alright air filter good, and the battery is also seemingly good. Normal voltage and everything. Plus it's already a lithium, a real tiny shorai one. It's definitely not the usual lithium used for this bike since it's a smaller format, so I wonder if this could be the problem.

A friend said it could possibly be the tps. But short of replacing this, I don't know how to determine if this is the problem, since the problem is so intermittent.

It could be... try a larger battery and you'll know for sure. I did run one of the ridiculously small ones on my but didn't have any problems.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 06-08-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashdown View Post
    A friend said it could possibly be the tps. But short of replacing this, I don't know how to determine if this is the problem, since the problem is so intermittent.
    Have you run the dash in diagnostic mode? There is an error code for TPS that'd show up if it was failing...
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Have you run the dash in diagnostic mode? There is an error code for TPS that'd show up if it was failing...
    that's what I was thinking it mite be the throttle position sensor .

Can't you also turn diag mode on and get read outs from the tps between 0 and 100. Mate of mine did that and figured it out. Wouldn't have thought it would stall though if it was just a tps

Quote Originally Posted by Jashdown View Post
    Alright air filter good, and the battery is also seemingly good. Normal voltage and everything. Plus it's already a lithium, a real tiny shorai one. It's definitely not the usual lithium used for this bike since it's a smaller format, so I wonder if this could be the problem.

What voltage was it putting out ? Just this weekend my bike would not idle it was putting out 12.2 volts i had to keep the bike revving until the bike charged the battery closer to 13v and then bam bike ran fine.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thread Information