Thread: Recommend an advanced driver training course for my 17yo

Recommend an advanced driver training course for my 17yo

Hi all, a couple of weeks ago one of my sons good friends was killed and another badly hurt in a car accident in Terrigal. Both only 17. So was the driver. I haven't been able to sleep properly since then and I find myself thinking about it constantly. It has devastated his parents and an entire community.

I know there is no way to stop kids doing stupid things in cars but hopefully by giving my son some advanced training I can help keep him safe.

Does anyone have any recommendations on advanced driver training courses suitable for someone on their Ls? Something that will teach him to handle serious situations like slides and emergency stops. I have had a look at a few online but am hoping to get your opinions.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BR View Post
    I know there is no way to stop kids doing stupid things in cars but hopefully by giving my son some advanced training I can help keep him safe.
    I understand as the father of a 16 yo - I can't specifically answer your question but will share my approach
    1 lots of gokarting - there is always someone faster
    2 he is on a bike off road and soon to be track time - all ready a broken collar bone so he knows it can bite
    3 Bike Ls ... as an L and P instructor some of the stuff we teach seem to scare the Sh!t out of some of them ... reaction time and braking distances etc
    4 plan on buying him a UTE ie on one passenger (hopefully)
    5 Goes to race meetings and sees the pain (was on the grid wall at Broadford when Grantley got his foot turned around) and that different people have different skill
    6 hope to get him in a paddock 4 wheels to try some stupidity

8 Hoping and praying ... cos I know what I was like at that age

Unfortunately I get the feeling that Advanced Driver training can be a bit of a crutch ie I'm trained therefore I'm good - coming back to L & P on the bike often get asked what to do in a crash and the only answer I give is Time and Space will help avoid the crash but once your crashing nothing I can teach will be relevant

1 Ute kinda works but also has the hoon ability too. The one passenger limit is good but come rainfall and its just stupid even when trying not to be stupid...
    2 Buying a really non-sporty car will kill the temptation, try be silly in a mazda 2 or barina (its just disappointing).
    3 Skid pan day at the creek maybe for slide control and braking in bad conditions and its also fun for you if you both go.
    4 Put him on a bike for control and environment awareness, bunch of my mates that ive let on my dirtbike have opened their eyes to how much you need to take in just trying to ride slow in a paddock.
    5 Dont harp on about being safe or being stupid with mates every time he gets in the car, he'll just rebel against it anyway, a good normal chat is much more insightful (and the fact that if he doesnt hurt himself in the crash, he'll be getting a clipping around the ears and losing his license to you upon arrival home)

Has worked for me so far and im not much older
    Last edited by Carl-52; 01-08-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

Carl

was thinking you might jump in.... You done the skid pan and if so with who ... I want to do it (if he asks nicely I might bring him as well and his mom)

The UTE was also a thought for dirt bike transport (that said I got him a 410,000km Subaru Outback (for $1,000) - outback our turbo diesel outback leaves if for dead so zero hoon factor)

What was you progression on to the track ... assuming lots of Dirt Bike?

Adam is still a bit gun shy after the collar bone (limps around corners)

As I said I know what I was like 3 written off road bikes in first 2 years and so many near misses I can't count that high

Thanks Linden and Carl. You raise some interesting points.
    Fortunately, he has no interest in motorcycles/motorsport (yet). Honestly I don't want him anywhere near road bikes. (I am selling mine because it is too dangerous for me). Ive suggested go karting but he wasn't excited by that at all. He is eligible for his Ps but hasnt bothered getting them yet. This suits me fine. Maybe i need to force him to go go karting. That is a good way to get lots of track time and learn the fundamentals of driving a 4 wheel vehicle.
    That said, I would still like to hear from someone who has some first hand knowledge of the courses available.

I have nothing but would like to adopt me?

Don't know about before P's training like that but I did a defensive driver training course including skid pan and closed circuit when I was 18(so 1 year after I got my P's) and it was great. being taught to brake hard around corners, how abs works in reality, how to deal with under and oversteer is invaluable. Highly recommend it to any younger drivers.

Did it in Canberra with Rick Bates Driver training not that it'll help much if your a sydney sider.

AAMI were offering a 10% discount to young drivers under 25 if they attended one of there reccomended courses. It was a few years ago now but one of my daughters did it and found it useful with the added benefit of cheaper insurance.

Here are the courses run by ARDC http://www.sydneymotorsportpark.com....iver-training/. The first two on the list would be your interest BR, priced $140 and $250 with both prac and classroom aspects. A friend recently did the Drive Aware course and then Advanced driving course after his girlfriend signed him up, and he found it very useful.

Yeh Linden, for me the first bike i ever touched was my cr125 mx bike. Rode and learnt to ride on it and now race and thrash it around the mx track for giggles. My first road bike is the r6 on track ONLY. Maybe get my license at some point, reckon ill have to move out first tho. I havnt driven the skid pan but ive jumped in with people i know a few times and its great for car control in a super relaxed place.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Oh and BR the safer driver one counts for hours too if hes still on his L's
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Major Sponsor:

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    Here are the courses run by ARDC http://www.sydneymotorsportpark.com....iver-training/. The first two on the list would be your interest BR, priced $140 and $250 with both prac and classroom aspects. A friend recently did the Drive Aware course and then Advanced driving course after his girlfriend signed him up, and he found it very useful.

Yeh Linden, for me the first bike i ever touched was my cr125 mx bike. Rode and learnt to ride on it and now race and thrash it around the mx track for giggles. My first road bike is the r6 on track ONLY. Maybe get my license at some point, reckon ill have to move out first tho. I havnt driven the skid pan but ive jumped in with people i know a few times and its great for car control in a super relaxed place.
    Best bit is I get to do the skid pan for free

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    AAMI were offering a 10% discount to young drivers under 25 if they attended one of there reccomended courses. It was a few years ago now but one of my daughters did it and found it useful with the added benefit of cheaper insurance.
    Great info. Thanks stevem

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post

Cheers Carl. I had a look at the ARDC first up. I am thinking that they probably have the best and most convenient facilities too.

Thread Information