Thread: Do you bother blipping on downshifts if you have a slipper clutch?

Do you bother blipping on downshifts if you have a slipper clutch?

OK did a search and can't find any related threads so here goes...

Do you guys still bother blipping down or do you just let the slipper do its thing? Is there still any advantage in blipping even if I have a slipper clutch? Is it bike dependant?
    Eastern Creek & Wakefield Photos: facebook.com/wilsonphotomedia

Well, slipper clutch doesn't prevent lock up 100%... At least none of the ones I've tried. Drop a gear and dump the clutch whilst leant over and things can get quite interesting. In those situations I'd say blipping the throttle would probably help... And I say 'probably' cause I suck at it and since I don't ride anywhere but on the track I just don't practice it enough to master it, therefore... I gave up!

Was sharing a garage yesterday with kawasaki backed rider.
    His father summed it perfectly when discussing this very topic.
    "If i am paying for clutches you better blip it"(Ryan Masri).
    Team mate Kyle Buckly dumps it needs new clutch after every round. Kawasaki owns their bikes.

good topic

I am no gun, but my answer is both yes and no.

it depends on the corner and how you want the bike to enter.

Watch the tv, some riders blip where others don't. Allerton looks like he blips at turn 2 while others definately don't.

I'm too unco to blip, so I never have. Praise be, the inventor of the auto-blip!! I love it!

Glenn and others would't blip on some corners to get the bike sideways. Apparently it's the engine braking/clutch that puts the tail out sideways on corner entry. Unfortunately for me, that's several levels above my pay grade!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I blip always... reason = i cant afford to fix anything and gearbox/clutch likes a good rev matching. Backing it in you can still do it while blipping (actually started once or twice now) since its just metering rear wheel speed with the clutch and revs... Blip real fast 3 times from 5th down to 2nd gear and it'll start moving around. Also, blip down if done correctly is smooth as and can be done mid corner to set up early for the next one ie t10 creek before t11.
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I only blip while leaned over and downshifting or in certain circumstances where I prefer the bike to be settled. So for me at eastern creek, I blip when I downshift for turn 1 because it doesn't unsettle the bike, and I blip between 10-11 because I'm leaned over and it's a quick change of direction.

I won't blip coming into to 2, 6/7 and 9, because I like the extra braking and looseness the slipper provides.

Ive put thousands of ks on a slipper before and the clutch has barely been worn. So clutch life isn't a concern for me

I once blipped too much "downstairs" and got a slippery crutch.

Unfortunately, I am not in possession of either blipping skills or a slipper clutch. I tend to self slip? Let the clutch out slowly and bring it back in slightly if the rear starts to chirp or drift too much. It seemed a little overwhelming trying it at first, but I kind of got used to it? Mind you, I'm not fast enough to have it be too much of a bother. One day when I'm grown up, I'll have a bike that helps me. (satan, I've been good) (shit, I mean Santa)

I can't remember learning it but blipping has somehow become automatic for me now.
    It's one finger round the throttle and the other three pulling the brake.
    I don't like too much engine braking so I've adjusted it all down so it's really only brake for stopping and throttle is for go-ing!!

Great thread btw...
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

What's a slipper clutch?? Sounds a bit too fancy for my liking

Someone asked this on FB recently so I went and checked some of my track footage. Turns out sometimes I do, especially when leant over or if I'm not braking hard, but I don't tend to under heavy brakes (i.e. T4 and T10 at Phillip Island). Gives me more focus and control on braking I feel, which seems to work as braking is about my only strong point. Like Zoidberg, I modulate the clutch myself to keep the rear from skipping.

Never blip on the road bike though, except to sound cool and impress other boy racers
    Last edited by zooker; 05-09-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooker View Post
    What's a slipper clutch?? Sounds a bit too fancy for my liking

Someone asked this on FB recently so I went and checked some of my track footage. Turns out sometimes I do, especially when leant over or if I'm not braking hard, but I don't tend to under heavy brakes (i.e. T4 and T10 at Phillip Island). Gives me more focus and control on braking I feel, which seems to work as braking is about my only strong point. Like Zoidberg, I modulate the clutch myself to keep the rear from skipping.

Never blip on the road bike though, except to sound cool and impress other boy racers
    Is that you Geoff, I recognise your ancient R6 haha nah just kidding she's a beaut, I love taking photos of it.
    It's funny, I started blippin' on the road to look cool, so much so that it became second nature. Then I started questioning wether I was just wasting my time since both my bikes have slippers!

I have always blipped on the street and on dirt, I found 'thought marshy following me saying my tail end is everywhere' That blipping definiatly doesn't just save the gearbox/clutch, it actually helps the bike stay smoother around the corner. also found it harder to blip on the track as your braking markers are so late that you are trying to get so much pressure on the brake that blipping is hard. Fortunately through Sicko and marshy my front brake is sensitive and deadly enough that makes it a little easier cause I don't have to squeeze so hard.

I say blip every time. (not everyone has these exotic bikes that have auto blip).
    The 2008 Beast R6 "champ" #81.
    Director of TrackStop Service and Storage
    "for all your motorcycle track needs"

Thanks for the feedback all. I guess the general consensus is that it's still handy to do it, but it won't make a massive difference.

.... or just buy an auto blipper.

Quote Originally Posted by wil55n View Post
    .... or just buy an auto blipper.
    It'll change your life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    It'll change your life!!

Just don't use one unless you want to buy one. There that addictive!!!!!

Sent from my iPh

I'm still holding off on a quickshifter... you fancy kids with your fancy haircuts and music... why I oughta...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You have to get a qs ZOIDBERG. Missing out big time
    AKA Tumbleweed #52

Bike: 06 r6 #52 (search for the flouro!!)
    Dirt: Honda Cr125r

Major Sponsor:

I have a BMW and they can suffer from a false neutral shifting down from 6th to 5th in high rpm. Blipping helps prevent the missed gear and the ride across the grass at T1.

Talk to sicko about false neutrals on a German machine, He spent a day sorting his out and I think he has found the reasoning as to why it does it and how to fix it. .....
    The 2008 Beast R6 "champ" #81.
    Director of TrackStop Service and Storage
    "for all your motorcycle track needs"

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Talk to sicko about false neutrals on a German machine, He spent a day sorting his out and I think he has found the reasoning as to why it does it and how to fix it. .....
    We have compared notes regarding the issue. After several changes its better but not 100%....keeps you on your toes!

Try a KTM RC8 for false neutral, it was terrifying

Shifting

I used the motion pro tetent spring and std quick shifter and foot pegs and have not had a problem so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A picture tells a thousand words so this is what I do as far as blipping goes. I seem to do it every gear change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKx7COcG_8
    Last edited by stevem; 08-09-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    A picture tells a thousand words so this is what I do as far as blipping goes. I seem to do it every gear change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKx7COcG_8
    Love your vids !!! Hope your healing up ok.

Sent from my iPh

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Love your vids !!! Hope your healing up ok.

Sent from my iPh

Thanks brother.

Gotta say I really like watching SteveM's videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakels View Post
    Gotta say I really like watching SteveM's videos.
    Thanks man.

Thread Information