Thread: 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF

2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF

Look what I picked up at the weekend!

IMG_20161022_203702~2.jpg

Oh my gosh!!! That's beautiful!! Ask away for setup tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I think I'm most impressed with the van light... It's like a wee showroom in there!

Nice pickup, Simon. What's the scoop? '96 Gixxer? for road use only? :P
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Nice one, enjoy!

Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    I think I'm most impressed with the van light... It's like a wee showroom in there!
    Actually the van was awesome. New Transit and I think the first time they've put something other than the interior light out of a Ford Orion in the load area. It had tons of LEDs instead, brilliant!

Haven't changed a thing on the bike yet, it's brand new so am running it in on the road first. I'm about halfway to the 1km first service, should finish it this weekend.

Been awhile since I updated this. . .
    I've run it in on the road for the required 1000km up to 7500rpm, serviced and then another 1000km up to 9500rpm. After that it was time to start the conversion for track.

First thing's first - GiaMoto rearsets:
    IMG-20161202-WA0002~3.jpeg IMG-20161202-WA0006~2.jpeg

These are lovely; race shift items that still use the original quickshifter sensor. They even have folding tips on the brake and gear shift levers.
    Taking the standard footrests off was a doddle, I'm impressed with how simple the Aprilia is to work on compared to the Hondas I've had before. Things come off in complete assemblies with just a couple of bolts instead of having to remove lots of individual pieces.

Nice improvement, I think:
    IMG_20161206_235927.jpg IMG_20161217_185226.jpg

Very neat bit of kit there! Machining looks amazing. Love the wee Italian flag too!
    What's next??!!

Well no track bike build is complete without some GB Racing stuff:

IMG_20161208_154533~2.jpg IMG_20161215_234503.jpg IMG_20161217_174336.jpg IMG_20161217_174403.jpg

Nice to see the RSV4 actually already has paddock stand bobbins, chain toe guard etc.

I'm still undecided on whether or not to fit the bullet sliders. Fitted, they sit flush with the fairing (by cutting in to them) about where the little stand offs are where the fairings are bolted on.
    I'm fitting track fairings, so I don't mind cutting them, and they'd obviously beef up the (intenionally?) weak stand offs. I'm just unsure if they'll actually do any good having been stung before by flipping a bike on R&G bungs.

I'm in two minds about crash protection too. I think it largely depends on the bike and whether the transferal of force will do harm or good.
    Or whether it'll get caught on something and ultimately flip the bike, in what would have been a smooth slide...?

I like the Woodcraft ones that are almost flush with the farings... they stick like 2-3cm out. Enough to protect but less likely to dig in

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I like the Woodcraft ones that are almost flush with the farings... they stick like 2-3cm out. Enough to protect but less likely to dig in
    Agreed, I like them on the R6. Never had any frame damage or dug in to flip it. Are you thinking Kwaka?
    I've seen people snap frames on the BMW tho, as it's a pretty thin part of the frame they fit too, so I don't run them anymore.

I had the longer version and it cracked an engine mount on mine on a 25kmh crash... also cracked my collarbone on that one but that's another story lol. The shorty would have been fine I think as the long one dug into the gravel trap

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    ... also cracked my collarbone on that one but that's another story lol.
    Well I think you shouldn't really have attached it to your collarbone... They're simply not designed for that sort of application.

It didn't say not to do it in the instructions and I've been told I have a chip on my shoulder so...

Bahahhahaa!

I don't run them on any bike anymore. It's not worth the risk. The aprilias are very narrow anyway, and frame damage is very unlikely in a slide. Fairings etc are a consumable, and replacing them is preferable to fixing a cartwheeled bike

I'm inclined to agree, especially as it suits my laziness . . .

Talking of fairings, these exciting looking boxes arrived from Sebimoto:

IMG-20161228-WA0000~2.jpeg IMG-20161228-WA0003~2.jpeg

I bought pretty much everything they sell for the RSV4 RF. Front fairing, air tubes, belly pan, tail/seat unit, front mudguard, rear hugger, frame & swingarm protectors and a fuel tank cover.
    The fuel tank cover hasn't actually arrived yet and I've since discovered that the factory one isn't a tank cover (like they are on a Honda), that's the actual tank - made of plastic?!
    So I have a decision to make; whether to paint the tank I have, try and find a used one to paint or fit the Sebimoto cover and hope it doesn't batter the factory finish underneath too badly.

Full marks to Sebimoto for the fit and finish of their fairings. I didn't need to fettle anything to get it to fit except drill holes (including some holes in the side fairing to re-home the regulator/rectifier and the V4 Mobile Platform gizmo).
    The only "modifications" I made was some foil tape inside the belly pan to help with exhaust heat and some 10mm seat foam. Screen is still the factory one for the time being.

IMG_20170109_220543.jpg IMG_20170111_192143.jpg IMG_20170106_200238.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ironside View Post
    that's the actual tank - made of plastic?!
    Yep, plastic tank, which is a FANTASTIC idea because they don't dent in a crash! They are very hard-wearing in a slide, too, although I still add c/f sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by ironside View Post
    So I have a decision to make; whether to paint the tank I have, try and find a used one to paint or fit the Sebimoto cover and hope it doesn't batter the factory finish underneath too badly.
    I smother the oem tank in electrical tape before putting the cover on. It will wear through in spots over time, but it's fairly good protection in the medium term, particularly with sliders on the corners of the tank, which keeps the cover from scratching the tank at the most vulnerable spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I smother the oem tank in electrical tape before putting the cover on. It will wear through in spots over time, but it's fairly good protection in the medium term, particularly with sliders on the corners of the tank, which keeps the cover from scratching the tank at the most vulnerable spots.
    Didn't think of that - great idea! I'll wait for the cover to come and see how well it fits before deciding then.

Thread Information