Thread: New BEARS F5 donor bike

New BEARS F5 donor bike

Won an auction today and next week will collect a new toy ... bit soon to get her ready for new weekend BUT maybe (no key and not heard her run yet)

48626165O.jpg

plan is to make her look like

Oran Park 110.jpg

ie 900ss motor in 620 Monster Frame

But for the 5/6 she'd have to be an SS but I don't have any race glass ... it long shot but does anyone have (or know of) any I could borrow other option is to try her out as a 1/2 fared version

Better photos and build to follow

Congrats mate
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I'm gonna guess that this very much interests you then!

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...h-more.336465/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I'm gonna guess that this very much interests you then!

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thre...h-more.336465/
    unfortunately that will be a bit late getting here for next week end ... as to the build this thing was got for the engine ONLY (really) I've got a complete monster rolling frame (actually about 3 of them) I'm going to try an run it as is to see how I like it but will probably drop back to the 696 for the races - may even come down on Friday but will be a bit of a rolling chicane

Pick it up yesterday ... unfortunately "bridge to far for this week end" ... bring on 2017 however

Ripped off all the road gear today ... some salvageable stuff - just (it 14 years old after all) ... Ohlins rear shock ... nice but it and one of the fork legs is weeping badly

Have firmed in deciding (despite pleas to leave it an SS) to build it up as a Monster so shock is wasted to me ... anyone fit and flexible who wants a F3 or F5 Bears bike let me know as if I can find a donor engine (or maybe throw in one of my spare 700s) it will be a cheap entry level toy

Next to do is put an old engine in it to keep it a rolling frame and get the 900 motor worked over (new rings / no base gaskets / new clutch (maybe) / lighten flywheel)

Started motor work ... unfortunately ...20161220_133732.jpg

And the clutch is worse -

After a replacement piston and clutch started putting it together
    20170119_140027.jpg
    see the shiny barrel

20170119_160101.jpg
    It rolls

It's missing a radiator.......

kind of got one ... but for oil ... new and exciting really

Fingers crossed that the 2006 (620M) wiring loom and ECU will work with a 2001SS Engine and Injectors or it's back to an SS frame

Just got to do a "The Castle" shuffle to get the space to work on it - 10 in play Motorcycles at the moment (and enough bits an bob for 3 or 4 more) :( really must learn to let go...
    Last edited by Linden; 20-01-2017 at 09:52 AM.

What a bitch
    1) the heat ...
    2) bloody hell figuring out which bits I want to put with what eg exhaust is being a bitch cos I'm using different manifold clamps I'm using part of the thread that's got 12 years of rust and crud
    3) getting throttle bodies off donor meant drilling out a stripped ECU mount bolt
    4) something not 100% with rear suspension was locked solid first time it when together (done heaps of these)
    5) work bench has another 1/2 done bike on it so working on the floor and I'm killing my back

Having fun but doubting EC on the 11th at this point
    Last edited by Linden; 29-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    What a bitch
    6) dropped a allen key into swingarm

Ok got it to fire up ... so no ECU / key / Dash issues and all the important wiring is intact now just need to fit everything else

Thumbs up

20170203_171740.jpgBridge too far for this weekend ... ECU map issues :( runs very lean

Had to make a tank bracket which is a bit scary as it indicates that the frame is not 100% (but the tank is from a different model)20170203_171804.jpg

Sooooo close!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Sooooo close!
    Was seriously still on it until I discovered that my "map" supplier and I were on different pages ... getting closer now but still very iffy ... BUT seriously still needed to test it and Friday is just tooooo damn hot

Might plan for ride day early March and maybe Broadford meeting 1 April before Mount Gambier at Easter

That said it sounds evil ... suspect 2/3 normal fuel to air is partial the issue
    Last edited by Linden; 07-02-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Damn, Linden! That's a bit unlucky.
    Hope you get it out there soon.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

ITS ALIVE - the FrankenCati lives - hereby known as "Frankie" should be down on Thursday or Friday ... maybe just riding around in the pits

worked out there are over 5 different bikes (mainly monsters ) in this thing

Good news mate. I think..... I'm not 100% sure more Ducatis is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Good news mate. I think..... I'm not 100% sure more Ducatis is a good thing
    Says the man with how many APEs

It lives and has done laps ... off to Broadford for some lie detecting

Well done, Linden! Sounded great out there today.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Was great to "Finally" get it on track. Once it's sorted (suspension) I think it will be heaps faster than my 696 mainly due to the extra reach to the bars ...

Going to have to spend some time playing around because when you compare the 2 bikes the 900's wheel base is (neutral -> rearish axle position) about 2 cm shorter but the reach to the bars feels about 10-15cm longer might have to look at a modified seat on the 700 as the extra reach was nice ... will know more about the feel after Broadford and MacPark both in April where I plan to run both bikes in different classes

ACTUALLY - the extra reach is comfy but less change of direction leverage ... maybe mid way is the answer
    Last edited by Linden; 19-04-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: ACTUALLY - the extra reach is comfy but less change of direction leverage ... maybe mid way is the answer

At Broadford
    17761036_1359441897471071_8192086695387504428_o.jpg

At MacPark
    17990194_689639567887247_8224504349164846278_o.jpg

Well what can we say - MacPark over Easter

Friday was meant to be Suspension/Gearing setup with a couple of maintenance jobs for RatBear
    BUT
    1) LiFePo battery that fail at Broadford didn't come back to useful so swapped to spare lead acid ��
    2) Tank quick fits failed when returning from practice session ... raw fuel pumping on to exhaust
    3) fixed one but the other failed 3 corners out in next session - temp fixed both with cable ties - lasted weekend like that
    4) While stuffing around with Franki we set the ride height on RatBear only to strip the top shock mount (BUGGER ALL TORQUE honestly) BIG thanks to Shorty from MacPark who remade the mount in 1 hour
    5) First session out for RatBear turn 1 RH footpeg mount bolt sheared (HT)

WOW Friday over no setup and only a couple of serious laps - and this doesn't sound much but was asking around for spare bike at one stage

Saturday
    Entered in C20 and BEARS F5 with RatBear as cover in Bears and in TwinSprints
    We did all 6 quallies the fat bloke was stuffed and Franki had not beaten RatBear last year time (1:25) but was a touch quicker that RatBear (1:27 vs 1:28) on the day so RatBear was parked at lunch for the rest of the weekend
    C20 r1 chased an MT09 (new to the track) and got consistancy and confidence
    Bears r1 ran away with from ScottyB with a PB 1.26flatish on lap 2 settled for 3rd on lap 4 after spotting ScottyB across turn 1 and DeanY was pulling away (DavidA was a speck in the distance)
    C20 r2 (and the rest just played around with stuff at the back of the grid and got track time)

Sunday
    Bears r2 was to be first race of Sunday and so made the big mistake of the weekend and swapped rear tyre (and changed gearing 1 tooth at rear) - BUT had to go from 180/55 to a more std 160/60 - only a double lap warmup to the grid ... We felt horrid - tipping into the fast old turn one was yuck lost 1.5sec (best 1.27.3) and SB did a 1.24.9 PB so 4th - lots of head scratching RatBears was getting keen
    Bears r3 same again - felt a bit better and a bit quicker (reversed gearing change) but still off the pace and SB blasted past on lap 4 and left me behind
    Had some time over lunch and decided that we would do one of the experiments that DIDN'T happen Friday - so dropped forks 6mm - still hadn't clicked yet as to the issue just trying stuff
    Yeah Har - SB got away better this time and for the first time was only 4th at 4 - BUT we were on it and could see spots we were faster stalked for 4 laps and on the 5 got the draft and passed into old turn 1 - on the 6 and final lap we went in to old turn 1 only 2m off inside of track to block any up the inside overtakes - claimed the 3rd and therefore 3rd for the round (70pt equal with SB; DY 80pt and DA 100pt) ��

After presentations we realized (this is despite fixing the exact same issue on RatBear) that the tyre change had dropped the rear about 1cm ... so maybe 6mm on the forks is NOT enough

Other issues
    1) down changes sometimes missing lever (different offset to RatBear)
    2) fuel surge (we think)/stutter off sharpish right handers - bloody annoying
    3) Had to swap a warped disk
    4) Lost chain C Clip
    5) Missing some down changes due to differences in peg / lever offset between Franki and RatBear

Morgan Park here we come...
    Last edited by Linden; 19-04-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Thread Information