This is my first ever season of any kind of racing ever, as such I'm still a D-grade ride. And I have to agree with a lot with what marshy has proposed.
Having had my first race EVER at Phillip island this year, I'd have to 100% agree with a D-grade rider starting at the back of the grid for their FIRST race. My first ever race was in the 600's in that was in the wet. My mate Adrian can vouch for this, but my first start was an absolute shit fight. I was too busy watching everyone else take off. It took me another 2secs to realise I was actually in a race.
My 2nd start, again in the wet was with me now mid pack after moving through the field. With all the spray ect going into T1. I literally could not seen a thing and was a case of following a patch of white leather on the rider in front of me.
That bought on Sunday where I thought I'd get some "practice starts" by cross entering BEARS. Again a wet start but again at the back of the grid. Being on a Daytona 675, I thought I'd get shown up by the big boys there.
Somehow i managed to finish mid pack and was starting amongst the bigger bikes. Starting mid pack in the wet on a smaller bike on your first race wknd was an something I'll never forget. The spray and the feeling of being swamped by the bigger bikes quickly put me in my place.
So I agree with d-graders starting from the back of the pack for their first race wknd, but not every meet after. That's if the rider proves himself to Be able to start off safely.
Once I had experienced a race start, I didn't find it such a hard task to do both safely and semi competive. Still being a D-grade rider now, I don't feel there is a reason for me starting at the back of the grid anymore, especially when I'm now finding myself starting to the jump on the two rows in front me now. I still need to work on the rest of the race but hahaha