Thread: Trail breaking

Trail breaking

Just watched an interesting clip

I only ever trail break my rear. I generally set up , break to set speed and am off the front break before tipping in.
    Right or wrong? Should I be trailing the front as well????

Stevem you mentioned trailing the front into T2 last week before the lowside?

Could this be a part of my t1 crash a while back?

https://www.facebook.com/MotoRidersU...3942867982606/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely. The best will trail all the way to the apex or the point where it's time to get back on the gas. I know it's an area for myself that needs big improvement so maybe treat my advice as with all advice on the www.
    Obviously you are braking as hard as you can completely upright and the pressure at the bar is diminished as you start your tip in. Being on the brakes helps with turning the bike also.

Agree with Marcus. Trail brake on front into the turn slowly releasing and transitioning to gas and you touch the apex. The trail braking keeps the front relatively compressed resulting in a steeper neck angle and rake. This makes the bike turn in faster and more nimble.
    Takes some practice to get right but makes a huge difference as you can enter the turn faster and no coasting through the turn.

Bernie teaches it as part of his level 1 or 2 course from memory

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Ok so looks like I've been missing a critical part. I'll give it a crack at the end of the mth, and see how I get on.
    Might just find that 1.5 seconds I'm chasing

Just remember the more you lean the less braking you need to be using

Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    Being on the brakes helps with turning the bike also.
    That depends and needs thought yes compressing the suspension increases the ease at which the bike will tip in but remember increasing the front brake pressure will stand the bike up (the sidewalls want to be at the same compression) hence the panic braking issues of riders in a fright.

IE a little is good (compress the "slack" in the system) a lot not so good

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    Just remember the more you lean the less braking you need to be using

and vise versa :p
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    Just watched an interesting clip

I only ever trail break my rear. I generally set up , break to set speed and am off the front break before tipping in.
    Right or wrong? Should I be trailing the front as well????

Stevem you mentioned trailing the front into T2 last week before the lowside?

Could this be a part of my t1 crash a while back?

https://www.facebook.com/MotoRidersU...3942867982606/

My lowside was a mixture of the brake lever being set too aggressive ( I have an 18-20 and it was set to the stiffest ) and the front suspension set to stiff ( still at least 1/3 fork travel left unused) and then on top of that trail braking. Hindsight I was asking to much with all three mixed together. I remember hearing a while ago about sliding a pencil rubber across a desk and then doing the same thing with downward force applied.Also when I apply the brakes I try to load the tyre progressively to try and keep as big a contact patch as possible rather that grab a handful and have it rebound and loose contact patch. Great video mate, nice find.

Braking all the way to the apex isn't everybody's style tho. I was reading Iannone's comments on Vinales' riding not long ago...

"I'm trying to imitate him, but it's not in my nature. He never brakes for a corner while leant over, but with the bike straight, and he waits prior to turning and then accelerates.
    Most riders, on the other hand, they use the brake to bring the bike into the corner, and then accelerate."

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...suzuki-883204/
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Are you likening my riding to Vinale's
    I recon it'll defiantly help me heaps, although I'll eeeeease myself into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    increasing the front brake pressure will stand the bike up
    Not if your bike is set up well. You can grab a fist full of brakes mid corner on my ZX10 and it won't stand up. I think they only stand up if you are running too much trail.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

When I started trail braking all the way into the corner, it completely changed my riding for the better.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    When I started trail braking all the way into the corner, it completely changed my riding for the better.
    Agreed. I've always trail braked a lot, and slowly ease up on the brake pressure all the way to nothing as I'm approaching maximum lean. It keeps the front end planted and stable, and allows for later braking.

The Vinales method is more suited to a very powerful bike with shit corner speed (think Vargs on his 10R)..... get it stopped going in as straight as possible, turn it on a dime at low relative mid-corner speed, then stand it upright and bury the throttle all the way out. It suits some bikes and riding styles (and tracks) more than others.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Thread Information