Thread: Crow Eater

Crow Eater

Yep...I am from the dark state, however I was born in VIC if that helps??
    Basic story is, I am the wrong side of 40, got back into bikes about 2 years ago after not having been on one since I was in my early 20's.
    Went to a track day to "get my eye in" safely, and was hooked.
    Been going to the local track ever since (Plus PI and Broady once each), and blowing all my spare cash on cheap track beaters and go fast bits.
    I think I have green blood (throwback to younger trail bike days), but will ride anything.
    I actually got rid of my Zx6r and bought an old Aprilia (Price was good, full Ohlins and C20 class eligible if I feel the need)
    For some reason I love the wog bikes (Had a Ducati road bike). they just feel right body position wise and as I am a torque freak, so the twin's suit me better.
    So I am transitioning from a 600 Jappa to a 1000 spaghetti.
    However, Love the old bike's and have a race ready Period 5 KZ 750, just haven't put it on the grid yet (mainly due to timing around race meets and work)
    Got half a dozen P5/P6 (Gsxr 750, FZ 750, ZXR 750, CB 900) projects in the shed waiting for a for a rainy day and a xlotto win.
    I found my way here via google researching Dunlop slick compounds and pressures/temp and I noticed that Marshy posted here....
    Now we don't know each other at all, but before I went to Broadford for my first time (Jan this year) I watched your youtube vids a lot in order to get a feel for the track (Even the crash one!)
    So thanks to you first off for providing one of the better ideas of how that particular track works.
    There seems to be some great advice in this forum, and I look forward to learning some stuff from you guys, and who knows, might even bump into you somewhere! Cheers.

Welcome mate, the guys on here are a wealth of knowledge, I'd have been stuck without the help of the TT crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey zedsled! to Tarmac Talk.
    Excuse my Scottishness but which is the dark state?
    Which Aprilia did you get? Hope to see you out on track soon.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Thanks for the welcome, I have already picked up a few tips just trawling through the forum.
    @Sicko...I meant South Australia by the Dark State (Mainly due to our constant power failures during Summer).
    The Ape I picked up is a 99 RSV Mille R, but with an 01 engine, full titanium race system and some carbon fibre bits.
    The previous owner had added decent aftermarket clip ons (Put on upside down for clearance apparently!!).
    I have only refitted the clip on's (right way up) and sorted the steering/dash clearance issue and put decent rearsets on.
    Got Hoey's in Adelaide SA to redo the front forks (The oil was black as and gunky)
    Oh and thrown away the Pirelli superbike slicks (not a fan) and chucked on some Dunlop KR106/108's (Personal prefernce).
    Got a few more mods in mind to do before summer.
    Last edited by zedsled; 23-05-2017 at 09:36 PM.

I'm guessing SA Sicko.
    Welcome mate. You'll fit right in here.
    It would seem your contributions will make for entertaining reading too.
    Aprilia...Great choice.

2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Welcome zedsled, next time we are down at Broadford or PI we will give you a shout.

G'day

the Mille would be an F2 in BEARS ... but you'd need your Pirellis to get points (Mount Gambier at Easter next year) Hidden Valley in 2 Months PI in 3

to a likeminded Aprilia soul (although I've just gone Jap again). Love the Italian bikes though! Good to have you here.... and I'm sure we will line up on a grid together sometime soon. We travel to Mexico a fair bit. I'm embarassed to say I've not done an SA track yet! I'm sure I will soon (looking at you, Tailem Bend).
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Crow Eater

Tailem bend! Road trip. Count me in.

2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    the Mille would be an F2 in BEARS ... but you'd need your Pirellis to get points (Mount Gambier at Easter next year) Hidden Valley in 2 Months PI in 3
    I did think about having a crack at Mac Park on Easter....but didn't think I had the bike (and myself) sorted enough to run decent times in F2....Almost entered my mate's TT600 in F3 for shits and giggles, but it needed a fair bit of time and money spent on setting it up so we opted out. Definitely on the cards next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    to a likeminded Aprilia soul (although I've just gone Jap again). Love the Italian bikes though! Good to have you here.... and I'm sure we will line up on a grid together sometime soon. We travel to Mexico a fair bit. I'm embarassed to say I've not done an SA track yet! I'm sure I will soon (looking at you, Tailem Bend).
    Thanks for the welcome! if it makes you feel any better, I have never been on a track north of Melbourne. I did have a mate up near Proserpine that has tried to get me up to the cart track they all run 250's (mainly) on, Just haven't got there yet (Plus they are all as mad as cut snakes - bloody banana bender's! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    Tailem bend! Road trip. Count me in.
    I thnk we are all hanging out for that place to open. I drive past it every now and then on the way to Adelaide and drool.....
    My mates and I have timed how long it will take to get there and sussed out accomodation and everything. Just waiting for it to open....

Quote Originally Posted by zedsled View Post
    I did think about having a crack at Mac Park on Easter....but didn't think I had the bike (and myself) sorted enough to run decent times in F2....Almost entered my mate's TT600 in F3 for shits and giggles, but it needed a fair bit of time and money spent on setting it up so we opted out. Definitely on the cards next year.
    You'd have been fine F3 F4 F5 was a relatively small grid this year and if you ignore the IOM Racer on an insane weapon fairly sedate beware mates TT600 I drop an inlet valve @6,000 when riding a friends at EC a few years ago

Pffft, Euro trash. Should've stuck with a green machine.

Welcome aboard.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post

Welcome aboard.
    why would you want a green machine . when you can have a red one .

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Ha Ha....after the crappy way I was riding the Aprilia the other day, I seriously considered changing back....
    However, I do have my P6 Kwaka project lurking in the shed awaiting a shit ton of money......it is definitely the next job on the cards after some bling for the Ape.
    Determined to sort the Aprilia out and chuck it into some C20 racing next year once we get some harmony between us...
    Is it just me or are these Aprilia's a bit twitchy/touchy in the front end??

Quote Originally Posted by zedsled View Post
    Is it just me or are these Aprilia's a bit twitchy/touchy in the front end??
    Sounds like you, as with only very minor setup tweaks they are the best handling bike on the grid. Actually, I'm only talking about the RSV4, as I've not ridden the earlier twin version. But the forks and wheels etc are essentially the same, so maybe list out a bit more detail about the bike and we can go from there. Ohlins forks? Or Ohlins internals in Showa forks? Forged or cast wheels?
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

The bike has Ohlins forks and rear shock and forged wheels.
    I think it may just be me getting used to it after years of wrestling my old Kwaka's heavy steering into the corners.
    The turn in is so quick on the Ape, I think I just don't quite trust it (or feel comfortable) with it.
    I know I need a heavier spring in the rear, and I feel like the front is diving too much (though I forgot to put a zip tie on to see how much).
    But I also have not spent much time on it. So I will see how it goes after a few more track days.
    Got to replace the throttle cables as well, they have a bit of play in them that is not helping my cornering.

Thread Information