Thread: IMA Thumb Brakes

IMA Thumb Brakes

Me and the race boys have been wanting a thumb brake for a while, but there aren't many available suitable options. Brembo do one, but it's the cost of a cheap racebike, and it does away with the foot brake, which doesn't really appeal to me - I use the foot brake for race starts, and if I run off onto the grass at high speed I think my brain is going to default to 'foot brake' mode in a panic.

Then IMA announced their new design, to be released in a couple of weeks. A bit of negotiation later, and Superbike Source is the new exclusive distributor of IMA products in Australia! Along with the truly beautiful, excellent quality tripleclamps and clip-ons, the thumb brakes are really really exciting. There's info and pricing on our website here: http://superbikesource.com.au/produc...umb-Brake.html

What's everyone's thoughts?? I personally can't wait!! I'm too unco to work a foot brake.

Here' the IMA video:

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

That looks pretty sweet!! Always wanted one... Unfortunately my brain is too stupid to getaway with the base model and my pocket too shallow for the racing one.

I shall watch with envy from afar!

I'm in for sure!! (brake)
    I think this is going to be a revelation for me! I've an old heel injury that really restricts my foot brake action.
    I can't wait to have a crack for wheelie control as well as tightening turns of either angle... SOOO EXCITED!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Me too!!!! T4 especially when I'm trail breaking the rear it my toe touches 80% of the time. Really unsettling. Not for long !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gomidgego.gif

Excite! Me want!

Hook me up Mr Marsh! I went to the doctor about my terrible fungus problem on my right foot, and happened to mention the thumb brake, and he said that Medicare would take care of it. Sweet!

2012 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Petefrost View Post
    Hook me up Mr Marsh! I went to the doctor about my terrible fungus problem on my right foot, and happened to mention the thumb brake, and he said that Medicare would take care of it. Sweet!

I think Ive just found my new accountant pete, your a genius !!!

I always thought I was special Luke! Cheers...

2012 BMW S1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by Petefrost View Post
    I always thought I was special Luke! Cheers...

You are special, Pete

I want one really bad, but I $899 for the race version is going to put it out of reach for me. What's the difference between the base and racing kit models?
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    What's the difference between the base and racing kit models?
    The main question is whether you want to keep the foot brake or not. If you do want to keep it, you need some sort of junction valve to allow the two master cylinders (at the thumb and at the foot) to operate the brake independently, and for the line to pressure properly without the fluid just flowing backwards through the other circuit.

The Base kit doesn't come with a master cylinder at all. The idea is you mount your OEM one on the thumb brake, and do away with the foot brake altogether.

The Racing kit comes with one IMA master cylinder, which has a built in junction valve. This IMA m/c is mounted at the foot pedal, to give the foot brake the junction valve it needs to operate both thumb and foot. The OEM m/c (without a junction valve, obviously) gets moved to the thumb lever mount to be operated by the thumb lever.

You're pretty handy, Nelso. Junction valves aren't that tricky. I don't think it'd be too hard to buy one and fit it to the OEM rear m/c. I'm not going to; I'm buying the full kit. But if you're on a really tight budget, I'm sure it's doable. Or get rid of the foot brake altogether and buy the Base kit, and you're ready to go!

Thread Information