Thread: Lever guards

Lever guards

I had the interesting experience of having someone tip in on me at T1 yesterday off a start and snap off my front brake lever, fortunately I realised straight away and didn't head off to T2 at full bore. So I am seeking recommendations for lever guards/ protectors. Ebay has lots with a huge price range. Do I need to spend $200 or will $20 do?

I have the motion logics one .Australian made and tonka ,$100 - $120. CHECK THE VIDEO OUT ON THEIR SITE. http://www.motionlogics.com/contents...ver-guard.html
    Last edited by stevem; 25-06-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Lol that video. They seem robust thanks

I have the Vortex one, not the cheapest but it's sturdy and more likely to survive a crash. Plus it's a LOT easier to change into another clip on bar if you need to.

Strong is good, just ask Wolfie! Another thing I'd avoid is anything that is a bit pointy.
    A few of us saw a rider get one in the thigh at Philip Island a couple of years ago.
    Red flags, ambos, helicopters.. not nice.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

I have motion logics & haven't seen any that are as sturdy when mounted ...solid as !

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    You can never have Too many Bikes

I stock them. Delrin plastic, to avoid the aforementioned leg injuries, but really solid and strong. Pics in a moment.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    I have the motion logics one .Australian made and tonka ,$100 - $120. CHECK THE VIDEO OUT ON THEIR SITE. http://www.motionlogics.com/contents...ver-guard.html
    These ones, ridiculous, you can pick your bike up with em. When I did recovery at an ASBK round at wakefield last year, every crash was "find the brake lever protector".

I reckon you could snap a clip on off and the motionlogic ones would still be in there. Designed and made in Australia. They're mint.

I used to have aluminium ones, but I've more recently taken the view that they SHOULD break away in a crash.

They are supposed to stop the accidental application of the brake lever if you clash into another rider, not become a protruding part of the motorcycle that could spear and gouge your soft tissue in the event of a crash. What if you were under or over the bike in a violent tumble? That'd have the potential to hook you like a fish. What if your hand/arm fired down in between the bar, lever, and lever guard? Would it snap in half, or would your arm?

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying I changed my view on how they should work. What's the general consensus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    ...become a protruding part of the motorcycle that could spear and gouge your soft tissue in the event of a crash.
    I hear what you're saying, you and I watched that happen! I think there are lots of hard/stiff parts on a bike. I wouldn't love a fairing stay through the ribs either!
    I think as long as it's not sharp, you're mitigating the risk.
    I personally use the Woodcraft lever guards. They're largely nylon and rigid enough to stop a knock from affecting your braking, but also aren't likely to do any harm to soft tissue!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Then take away non folding footpegs, exhausts, clip ons, wheels, motors, bikes, stay at home? I figure, if you can spin a brake lever protector around by hand, then it's not going to do it's job of protecting the brake lever in the event of a hit. If you have to run one, it may as well be solid.

I used to have aluminium ones, but I've more recently taken the view that they SHOULD break away in a crash.

They are supposed to stop the accidental application of the brake lever if you clash into another rider, not become a protruding part of the motorcycle that could spear and gouge your soft tissue in the event of a crash. What if you were under or over the bike in a violent tumble? That'd have the potential to hook you like a fish. What if your hand/arm fired down in between the bar, lever, and lever guard? Would it snap in half, or would your arm?

I'm not saying I'm right. I'm just saying I changed my view on how they should work. What's the general consensus?

The variation in sturdiness / quality between brands is pretty stunning. I've used Bonamici on a couple of bikes and they became unintended crash protection, took a hell of a beating. But I've seen other ones put together with tiny flimsy screws which look like they'd disintegrate if you sneezed on them...

Hadn't thought about the risk to the body if they're too strong and sharp but def makes sense...

Are the lever guards still on the SSR site Marshy? Can't find them

Possibly not, because I haven't taken new photos. We've got two different types in stock. The thick delrin ones, and the very fancy Gilles Tooling ones. I will take some pics soonish

Possibly not, because I haven't taken new photos. We've got two different types in stock. The thick delrin ones, and the very fancy Gilles Tooling ones. I will take some pics soonish

Cool thanks. I put the road gear back on today so I can ride around and choose one after Xmas

Come over this week

Thread Information