Thread: Making up some adjustiable rear sets

Making up some adjustiable rear sets

Basicly these will be 2 rectangles
    FrankRearSets.png
    1) 100x80ish to mount to frame with for and aft slide ie 6 hole using 2 at any one time at top and on 4 or 6 taped holes (Q2) to hold foot pegplate
    2) 130x60 Foot peg (and gear level) mount with 3 (2extra for gear) tapped holes for footpeg and many holes to attach to mount plate

Now the question
    1) thickness of Al plate 8mm or 10mm (or even 6 or 12) (need strength & plus meat for bolt taps but would prefer not to have to drill the crap out of it to lighten
    2) bolts M5 M6 or M8

I'm thinking 8mm plate with M6 holes

this is the current bracket (without the lowering stuff) but that's the idea

Any thoughts ... little mick I'm looking at you here
    Last edited by Linden; 10-07-2017 at 11:44 AM.

My only though is that alloy is pretty soft. In a crash, would the threads would pull through? Maybe not 8or 10mm? would steel be stronger although heaver? You get away with useing a thinner gauge?

I'd replicate the existing thread size, just for interchangeability???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    My only though is that alloy is pretty soft. In a crash, would the threads would pull through?
    rather damage these than transfer to frame mounts ... if I make then simple enough should be able to have spares (and plan on making them reversible ie will put gear level hole on brake side - as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I'd replicate the existing thread size, just for interchangeability???
    In the end its 2 bolts to the frame (defined and use origionals), 1 Gear level mount (defined), Foot peg longer bolt (and easy enough to have NUT on the back as well) and then just 2 bolts (will be button heads so different to others) to hold 2 1/2s together

Hi Linden. Sorry bud only just saw this. 8mm plates minimum, preferably 10. Id go with 8mm bolts. The ones I have made have all been 8mm and solid as.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

These were made out of 12 x 100 flat. Given their load configuration the extra thickness was warranted. Yours are hanging down so less of an issue.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Thread Information