Thread: Tuff Jug & the fine print

Tuff Jug & the fine print

I recently purchased a Tuff Jug 10 litre fuel container and I just noticed the fine print on the bottle.

U.S.A. REGULATIONS: EPA. CPSC EXEMPTION Regulations under 40 CFR Section 59.660(d) Fir Trials Enterprises Inc. quick dump container is intended only for use as a rapid refueling device for racing vehicles used in professional off road and closed course competition racing events. It is not a portable fuel container. Intended for racing fuel. Not to be used for street legal fuel. NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA
    So anyone using a Tuff Jug as a portable fuel container with street legal fuel? How do they fair?

tuffjuglabel.jpg

If you leave fuel in them for a few days they will leak. They are porous.

I usually fill it up the day before and use it throughout the day... never had any issues. And yes, I transport it full.

Also, not exactly related but you'll need an adapter to be able to use it on a sportbike tank

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    If you leave fuel in them for a few days they will leak. They are porous.
    LOL ...

Given all the Tuff Jug 'fine print constraints' what a POS. A better name would be Leaky Jug ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Also, not exactly related but you'll need an adapter to be able to use it on a sportbike tank
    One of these? 7-ADAP.jpg

Any particular bikes it doesn't work on? I found this on the interwebby ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    One of these? 7-ADAP.jpg

Any particular bikes it doesn't work on? I found this on the interwebby ...
    You can try and use it like the dude on the video but I'm willing to bet you'll choose not to do that... and yes, that's the adapter! It cost me like $12 on bikebiz... well worth it if you ask me!

I've used these for years, and I leave them full, or part-full in the trailer for months. Never had a leak.... didn't even know leaks were possibly a thing. They are great. You do need the adapter, but it's a bit shit to use... I've found you can't just depress the filler the whole way, or fuel will squirt out around the adapter. A partial press seems to work. But I've hardly ever used an adapter - the Aprilia tank has a very big hole, so it's not required. And on my R1 I dremelled out the metal baffle inside the tank filler to enable full-flow quick fills
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

The trick to use the adapter is to make sure to hook the lip (red mark on pic bellow) instead of pressing the whole thing down. There's a learning curve... but these days I have zero issues with it even if I depress the filler the whole way.

The dremel idea sounds good too tbh!Inkedadap_LI.jpg

I am looking at Jill's Jugs now ... interesting ...

Interesting. I's bean reading the Amazon reviews. Wide range of reviews 1 to 5 stars. But significant number report leaking and burst cans at the seams along with shitty to fill.

Thought there might be a trade in Chinese copies but review on page 7 talks about contacting Tuff Jugs and getting replacements.

TUFF only for a year, Jugs burst at the seam
    https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Jug-TJ1R...7?pageNumber=7

I leave mine full for ages, usually only empty them into a car the night before race. Never had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice jugs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Nice jugs
    Great set of cans.

I've gotta say, when I first got the Tuff jugs, I wasn't very impressed with their solidity. They crumple when empty and blow up nearly round when pressurised (eg with fuel in them, in the heat/sun). If they are sitting in my trailer at the track, I unscrew the cap a little bit to release the pressure. The previous (non Tuff, non quick pour) jugs I got from MCAS were much more solid. But I've still never had an actual issue with Tuff, although as they age I'm getting slightly more concerned....
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I dunno... Like I said, I fill it up the day before and use it on the day. My was a gift... tbh I wasn't too keen on spending the asking price on one so I don't think I'd have ever bought one if it was left to me. Having said that, these days I wish I had more than one and might end up biting the bullet at some stage.

I have four of them, always worked perfectly and I've used with and without the adapter. I much prefer without an adapter, so any bike I use now, gets the nibbler to the tank. They do expand and contract in the heat but that's down the the properties of petrol.
    The fluid units are marked both ways up so you know how much you're filling up the bike or the jug, at a time. Very useful!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

looks like it can be used for beer or wine to pour for all ya pisshead mates at a party ;-)
    The completely rebuilt R6 "MetalMan" #70
    visit my page:
    www.youtube.com/AussiesR6
    www.facebook.com/metalmanracing
    For all the latest technology in Action Video Cameras, head to www.dvrsafety.com.au
    Sponsored by BC Riley Haulage: www.facebook.com/Bcrileyconsulting/

Thread Information