Thread: Aprilia Track Bike

Aprilia Track Bike

Just after a bit of Aprilia advice, and I am pretty certain a few of you blokes have or had a few of these bikes.
    I am thinking about getting rid of my RSV1000 and upgrading to a post 2010 RSV4.
    However, I hear some mixed reports on reliability/Parts/Service with them.
    So was just wondering what the general consensus was?

If you can , go the newer 2015 model. Much better engine. Keep an eye on valve clearances, even on new bike. Peter Stevens, the importers are hopeless. I get all my stuff through AF1 in Texas , as most people with Apes do.
    Find a good mechanic who knows them well, and download Guzzidiag. It's a free download so as you can remove any faults or errors

The 2015+ certainly had a much faster engine, but it lost the torquey, punchy characteristics of the old motor. If you're not racing, or even if you are but aren't worried about being less competitive down the straight, the 2013-2014 models are worth a look too. Much cheaper, and in many ways more fun. I have a stock 09 as a spare bike that I just love riding!!

Valve springs were greatly improved in 2013. Pre-2013 bikes were hit-and-miss when it came to reliability. Some were bulletproof, and others couldn't do more than 6 to 10 days on track before dropping a valve. Except for valve springs, nothing else really goes wrong. If you get an earlier model, think about replacing the valve springs with the latest spec ones for reliability.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Unfortunately, my budget only stretches to 10 or 12 grand, so probably will be looking at earlier models, maybe 2011's.
    The earlier model engine characteristics sound more like my thing to be honest, and my local track's back straight is pretty short!
    Doe's anyone know the approx cost of replacing the valve springs and anyone in SA or Vic that is a good reliable Aprilia mechanic?
    Thanks Kimbo for the info on Guzzidiag as well, I will check it out.
    I am half thinking, that if it is all too hard, I should go back to a jappa.....

It's not too hard!! Try and find a 2013/14, and you won't need to worry about changing valve springs. We've sold a few 2014 Factory trackbikes in that price range.

Thanks for the heads up.
    The one I was looking at is a 2012 Factory with all the good gear.
    Only has 7000 odd km's.
    I asked about valve clearances or valve spring/engine issues, but he didn't have any info.
    Old Mate selling doesn't really know the history of the bike very well or is being coy.....
    It is around 10k but negotiable. Not sure if it is worth pursuing.
    If anyone knows of something decent in that price range, I am keen to look. Thanks.

It sounds like a bit of a bargain, and there's enough scope there to do the springs later. Is it a track bike already? How much track work has it done, roughly?

It is a track bike already, Old mate said he had only done one track day on it and hadn't had a chance to do anymore.
    Not sure of the history before that, I will look into it.
    I am keen, but don't want to have to drop a stack of money into it in a few months if something fails.

Thread Information