Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track day Lap Timers

Track day Lap Timers

What lap timers are people using? I've got a infrared vibe that I find unreliable and have had no luck with any iPhone GPS based ones.

I know there is probably the whole spectrum of quality / cost around these parts so someone must be able to recommend something that works but won't cost the earth.

However, feel free to post some high end stuff cause its always nice to know what's out there haha
    do a burnout

Bang-for-your-buck is still an old-old Nokia phone connected to a bluetooth GPS receiver, running RaceChrono. RaceChrono is free, the Nokia will be free (they aren't worth anything at that age - everyone's got one in a drawer somewhere), and the receiver is around $80 new. They work great, are highly featured and very accurate. But you can't see your times while actually riding - unless you get tricky with the mounting of the phone

The gold standard in proper dash-mounted GPS timers are what I use: XT Racing GPX Pro. Words can't describe how good it is!! Link: http://www.xtracing.com/en/products.php
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Nick, when you've got a few minutes would you please measure the dimensions of the unit. Can't find anywhere.
    Cheers
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Nick, when you've got a few minutes would you please measure the dimensions of the unit. Can't find anywhere.
    Cheers
    Rick
    No probs Rick. As soon as I get home.

Everyone else, I'm doing a bit of a group buy of GPX Pro units and accessories in the next week or two, and they will be official Aussie delivered and Aussie warranty items. I'll need to double-check the prices, but they should be in the $700-$800 range (ie the same as buying them direct from the US, but with the benefit of local warranty and support). If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Hi Marshy,

Would this place you are doing the group buy have anything decent for around $300. I don't mind if I can't see the times near the dash but want something that can be downloaded and shows sectors. Just don't think I'm worthy of a lap timer that good!

Thanks

Thanks Nick. I'm interested.

I just use the starlane stuff.. the stealth3 is pretty bloody good for not much money

edit: just checked prices - They are around the 400-500 mark
    Last edited by chubb; 30-07-2013 at 09:43 AM.

I'd be interested in something around the $300 mark as well.
    do a burnout

I run a Qstarz and it is awesome
    I bought it in Aus for Sub $400
    ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/120861362582

Has a pretty good analysis software as well, allows you to split up multiple sectors as you want, can also do 'virtual best laps' (links best sectors)
    also compatible with racerender http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74ama9ciDU
    and... can stealth the screen so if it hard bolted to the bike at ECRD....

http://www.xtracing.com/en/ducati/index.php

I got a timer on my 749S but was too busy to press the button on the dash when I should be getting ready for T1, does anyone know this I/R offered from XT Racing, does it mean once you install it, it will work automatically by itself and you wont need to press the button to start and stop? But if it is not GPS, how would it work? Do I need to put some receiver near the finish line to make it work??

I would get GPS timer..

people nick infrared beacons or you forget etc..

They might be more accurate slighty but we're splitting hairs here

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post

Has a pretty good analysis software as well, allows you to split up multiple sectors as you want, can also do 'virtual best laps' (links best sectors)
    That's the one I was thinking of! Cheers! Marshy, can you get these?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    http://www.xtracing.com/en/ducati/index.php

I got a timer on my 749S but was too busy to press the button on the dash when I should be getting ready for T1, does anyone know this I/R offered from XT Racing, does it mean once you install it, it will work automatically by itself and you wont need to press the button to start and stop? But if it is not GPS, how would it work? Do I need to put some receiver near the finish line to make it work??
    If you get the Ducati I/R one, you also need the I/R transmitter/beacon to be set up on the pit wall (see: http://www.xtracing.com/en/accessories/index.php). When I got back into racing about 6 years ago, I first bought one of these I/R lap timers. I used it twice (once it worked most laps, and once it didn't work at all, despite changing batteries and locations over and over). Then I sold it a month later and bought a GPS timer and never looked back!

Bear in mind this was also when you were allowed to lap time at track days! Oran Park etc. Nowadays they confiscate the beacon immediately and send you home.

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post

These are a great lap timer. However they aren't a data logger. Nor do they have the shift lights across the top that I use every gear shift. If you just want lap timing, these are a good unit. If you want to also track throttle position, RPM, which gear you're in, water temp, suspension movement, brake application, etc etc, you need the GPX Pro.

When I crashed at the ARDC day back in March, I wanted to look at what had happened, so I did a bit of analysis. Overview:

Speed at exit of previous corner:

Then speed at entry to 'crash' corner:

Combined with the video, it's a powerful analysis tool:

Of course, I also use it extensively for looking for improvements to my lap times, but I'm at work at the moment and don't have the program with me to take pictures of! These ones I prepared earlier.

If I did already have a Qstarz and a Translogic dash Id be getting one of these..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPS-Start...item4d0f1579f8

They do have models that don't have dash...But you could always place a piece of duct tap over the top of the face.

Also have a rep here in Aussie land.

https://www.facebook.com/PZRacingOz

Youtube Site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1vf...ariCL-ko-BHRKg

Im using one of these , qstarz bt - q 1000ex

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qstarz-BT...item2a240d225b

Nice and compact unit that uses gps , saves all the info and then you can download it onto your pc when you get home . If your wanting to check the lap times and data while your riding i use a nokia n8 which is mounted on the tank or triple clamp . It connects via blue tooth and uses the free program race chrono on the phone to analyse the data , check best and theretical lap times ..

If you have a smart phone already that can download the race chrono app (dont think apple has this) then for the $180 its a great unit .

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Im using one of these , qstarz bt - q 1000ex

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qstarz-BT...item2a240d225b

Nice and compact unit that uses gps , saves all the info and then you can download it onto your pc when you get home . If your wanting to check the lap times and data while your riding i use a nokia n8 which is mounted on the tank or triple clamp . It connects via blue tooth and uses the free program race chrono on the phone to analyse the data , check best and theretical lap times ..

If you have a smart phone already that can download the race chrono app (dont think apple has this) then for the $180 its a great unit .
    Hi BoB, where do you mount your unit on the bike? How do you find the software and does the gps maintain a good solid signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    If you get the Ducati I/R one, you also need the I/R transmitter/beacon to be set up on the pit wall (see: http://www.xtracing.com/en/accessories/index.php). When I got back into racing about 6 years ago, I first bought one of these I/R lap timers. I used it twice (once it worked most laps, and once it didn't work at all, despite changing batteries and locations over and over). Then I sold it a month later and bought a GPS timer and never looked back!

Bear in mind this was also when you were allowed to lap time at track days! Oran Park etc. Nowadays they confiscate the beacon immediately and send you home.
    haha okay, forget about it then, I am in for the GPS timer too then :p

I will take some pics of where i mount the unit . and post it up tomorrow . The gps maintains a good signal i turn it on just before i go out on the 1st session and leave it on all day .Then just pause the race chrono on the phone when i come in to the garage and restart the session on the phone when i go out .

The race chrono app is very good, on the phone , download the map on the net and it can bring up a view of the track and can open up a graph of the speeds , compare 2 laps , have sector times , split times , hi lo speeds , optimum lap times.

Once im home i download the data onto the pc from the qstarz and use the qracing software that comes with the gps which does the above just on a bigger screen.

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Cheers
    Rick
    It's 112mm wide by 80mm high, Rick.

Thanks Nick. I'll check out my mount spot. It's gonna be tight

Question!! Is Race Chrono start automatically using GPS? So does it mean I can use my smart phone as a timer if I do not need some extra info at the moment like RPM, gear position etc?

Yes Eddie- you start it before you go out for a session and as the maps are loaded into the phone, the GPS picks the start / finish line up and counts...you can always analyse on puter afterwards as well with the RC software for PC...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

I made a foam box for the gps to sit in .

Made a bracket and riveted it in the front part of the nose fairing , just to the left so it doesnt hit the ram air tube .

make the internal dimensions of the bracket 5 to 10mm smaller than the outside of the foam box to its a nice snug fit and wont fall out .

Tapped out the holes in the top triple and made up some aluminium bars , then mounted the bracket for the phone to slot into . (or you could just velcro it to the tank )

My 1st attempt i had the display changing from landscape to portrate as the bike accelerated and braked but since found in the settings on the race chrono you can lock the display to landscape to make the lap times easier to read .

pic showing the track map and graph comparison of the best lap time verses another lap

I have put the gps unit under the tail (pillion seat) and just put the phone in my pocket and it still reads and stores data well.

nice set up!

this is my one

I just bent a piece of aluminium and tapped a hole in the fairing stay to mount it.

I have to loosen the screen to take it on and off but I wanted it difficult to remove for ECRD

screen can also be set to black

(QSTARZ BT 1000ex) I tried one of these as a stand alone unit to check data later at home. 3 track days testing was lucky if it strung 2 accurate laps together. Found the ausie distributor and told him how to test and check driving round the block. He replaced it with new one but was the same. Tested on 5hz setting, Tried walking round the block with it under my cap and it still failed. Went back to old phone and $40 Gtop receiver, apart from in and out lap all worked fine on race chrono. Could be a bad batch, does yours work alone without racechrono Bob ?
    Last edited by phillmac; 31-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phillmac View Post
    (QSTARZ BT 1000ex) I tried one of these as a stand alone unit to check data later at home. 3 track days testing was lucky if it strung 2 accurate laps together. Found the ausie distributor and told him how to test and check driving round the block. He replaced it with new one but was the same. Tested on 5hz setting, Tried walking round the block with it under my cap and it still failed. Went back to old phone and $40 Gtop receiver, apart from in and out lap all worked fine on race chrono. Could be a bad batch, does yours work alone without racechrono Bob ?
    Yes i download the data from the qstarz into the Qracing software (PC) when i get home and it checks out with the data on race chrono (phone), although they would both be using the data from the qstarz gps reciever . They are within .1 of a second of each other possibly due to the race chrono on the phone only displaying to 1 decimal place. The newer models now are 10hz and some of the slightly older models labelled on the side 1 and 5 hz but are actually 5 and 10 hz . Im running mine on the 10hz setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Yes i download the data from the qstarz into the Qracing software (PC) when i get home and it checks out with the data on race chrono (phone), although they would both be using the data from the qstarz gps reciever . They are within .1 of a second of each other possibly due to the race chrono on the phone only displaying to 1 decimal place. The newer models now are 10hz and some of the slightly older models labelled on the side 1 and 5 hz but are actually 5 and 10 hz . Im running mine on the 10hz setting.
    Cheers I think I got 2 from the same dud batch. Got sick of testing but I think it worked better mated to the racechrono phone. .1 of a sec is ok as mine couldn't get within .5 of a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    Yes Eddie- you start it before you go out for a session and as the maps are loaded into the phone, the GPS picks the start / finish line up and counts...you can always analyse on puter afterwards as well with the RC software for PC...
    Thanks Mick, so what is the adv of having a GPS receiver and a lap timer add on the screen then? Anyone please tell me!! Wanna get track of my time from now on...

The accuracy of the std GPS reciever in the phone is usually 1 htz... too slow to actually capture at the speed you need to...the Quartz puck as per above will give 10 htz and the App on the phone captures the data for review at the time or for download at the track... plenty ways to skin the cat..
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

The accuracy of the std GPS reciever in the phone is usually 1 htz... too slow to actually capture at the speed you need to...the Quartz puck as per above will give 10 htz and the App on the phone captures the data for review at the time or for download at the track... plenty ways to skin the cat..
    Okay, so do you recommend to buy the GPS reciever to use in conjunction with the Race Chrono, or jump straight to buy a proper GPS lap timer?_?

depends on your situation...and if you already have a suitable phone.. the proper lap timer is great as it is easily used and purpose built... cost more tho and if you arent racing, then wont get value for money as cant use it at track days...

start with the gps receiver and race chrono and update later
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

depends on your situation...and if you already have a suitable phone.. the proper lap timer is great as it is easily used and purpose built... cost more tho and if you arent racing, then wont get value for money as cant use it at track days...

start with the gps receiver and race chrono and update later
    Wise words, will start with the gps receiver and race chrono then first!

Hey Nick

if I understand correctly, the XT Pro can be used as a replacement to oem Dash? does it have the function to bring up warning lights etc...

Cheers

LM
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

does it have the function to bring up warning lights etc...
    Yes - everything but ECU error codes, essentially. It will display normal dash info like rpm, water temp, Neutral, speed etc very easily. Then it's just a case of deciding what other sensors/inputs you want to monitor. So you'd hook it up to the oil light, and depending on which model bike, there might be other stuff you want to monitor as well.

It has capacity for 8 inputs, in a combo of analogue and digital, which should cover all eventualities. You can then set alarms for any of those inputs, to flash a large warning etc if it exceeds whatever parameter you set (eg water temp over 110 degrees; oil pressure low, whatever).

I think I'm looking at one of these

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%2...T-Q6000-F.html

or one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AiM-SOLO-...item337e0d7151

They are within ballpark price of each other. Does anyone have a strong opinion on either option?

They both seem to have the same main features but having used neither I dont really know which way to swing :(

Argh that's not making things any easier!

Just ordered the Qstarz. Yiew!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376401843.706562.jpg

Very excited to start playing around with this one!
    do a burnout

Was watching a video of the HM race dash today and now I reaaaaaally want one but my wallet is going

If you can hold out for a little bit I'm currently in negotiations with a few company's to get lap timers and digital dashes.

The starlane dashes are pretty smick too!!

I'm already a dealer for XT Racing.

Ill be testing a qstars out this weekend

Me too. Pretty keen!
    do a burnout

What model you running Dan ?

LTQ6000. Hopefully I can get it going properly from the start
    do a burnout

Thread Information