Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Action camera's

Action camera's

G'day guys. So the mrs has decided that she is buying me a go pro or the like for my bike. I just thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts on what's the best, go pro, contour etc. I have no idea. I might be pushing my luck if I ask for a go pro black but thought I would see what else you guys recommend.
    Also how are you mounting them to your bikes? Accessories etc.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Nathan

I use a GoPro (number 1) near indestructible,replacement lenses (casing) are only $25
    have mounted it everywhere, Helmet front & rear of bike and swingarm.
    for an idea of the quality and mount positions check my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/raggamuffin1985/videos

I would definitely go with the gopro..

ease of use, replacable bits and good solid plastic casings

Never tried any of the others, but I love my two gopros!! It depends on what you're after, but I value image quality and sturdiness over price. You can actually get some very good results from much cheaper cameras (Senator8 uses some good-but-cheaper-than-gopro ones very effectively), and there's an argument for more cameras/multiple views being better than one top-quality camera.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I run a go pro 2 and the quality is amazing. There are a few drawbacks in terms of the shape and lack of screen. Overall though they are tough and easy to use. Best of all everyone users them so advice and parts (mounts etc) are easy to come by.

What settings do you guys have your go-pros on? I want this sorted for the 23rd August!!

The settings will depend on what camera you have, I prefer the look of the footage on high fps and reckon it looks a million bucks on anything that's moving fast. Unfortunately youtube butchers it down to 30fps when you upload it but even then it still looks better than regular 30fps footage for some reason. When I watch the original footage on the TV or computer it just blows me away.

I have the gopro2 so 90% of the time I'll shoot in 720p@60fps. I've used a mate's GoPro3 Black Edition a few times and not only the image is better at just about every setting, it looks AWESOME in 720p@120fps. Not sure if anyone here likes to edit their videos but if you do, high fps will allow you to do some AMAZING things with your footage (i.e. slow it down to 1000fps with Twixtor).

Also, anyone in the market for a new camera might want to skip the Contour. Don't get me wrong, they're good cameras but the company just went belly up...

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/contour...s-gopro-rival/

i killed my hero 2 casing smashed...and camera and mem card girked... was on triple trees when it went... unlucky... i bought a hero black 3 to replace it...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Thanks Ed,

Yeah i have the same camera - i will run it on 720@60fps.

I always run my Hero 1 and 2 on 720@60fps (actually, to be honest, I've been running them in PAL format, so 50fps, but I was thinking last time that I should switch them to NTSC). The doubled frame rate is waaaaay more important than the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I'm sooooo keen to get the Hero 3, as I spend a lot of time editing my race vids. So far it's been an expense I haven't incurred, but it's only a matter of time!

Thanks for all the help guys. So what I have read the hero 3 white edition isn't worth buying. And the hero 3 silver is about the same as the hero 2 but with wifi etc.
    The hero 2 isn't available anymore..

The one to have atm is the Black Edition... you need to keep an eye out as every now and then they're on sale somewhere. Kogan had them at $379 delivered about a week or 2 ago... There's rumour (and some decent evidence to support them) the GoPro4 is going to be released in December and that it will again double the specs. This will mean 1080p@120fps and 720p@240fps!! I might have to upgrade my computer before trying to edit those! hahaha

One thing to consider though, is the fact that they will probably record in 4K@30fps. Now I know almost no one has a 4K TV yet and that I said that higher fps is better than higher definition... but recording in 4K means the footage will be 'watchable' for a very long time. I used to have the old cameras that recorded in 240p and these days I look at the footage and wonder how good my imagination was back then! The only problem is that if the current black edition is anything to go by, the gopro4 won't hit these shores till late march at least.

Also, run your gopros in NTSC. There's no reason to run your camera in PAL these days. Back in the day, yeah... a lot of the TVs/monitors would only do PAL but I don't think there's any that won't recognise NTSC and switch to it automatically these days. It also means you get an extra 10fps...
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 12-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.

New xmas presents!!! 4K recording!! <drool> I was eyeing off a 4K tv yesterday in JB (and I saw some really big ones in China recently too).

The GoPro3 Black already has the ability of recording in 4K but it's only @15fps so unless you're recording a landscape, don't bother! hahaha

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170987100...84.m1423.l2649
    Im running the liquid image ego.same one as senator8 is running. Had the chance to play with the gopro 3 and the liquid one and I cannot see any real advantage the gopro had , they are both on par with each other I couldnt see the value in the gopro for the money as the liquid one is 140 on ebay delivered. For mounting on the bike nice and compact and the liquid image app works very well with the wifi.
    Big $$$ if you have 2 gopros and bin them liquid image not as pricey.

If you're not considering the Black Edition, I agree that the Liquid Image camera has a lot of bang for bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170987100...84.m1423.l2649
    Im running the liquid image ego.same one as senator8 is running. Had the chance to play with the gopro 3 and the liquid one and I cannot see any real advantage the gopro had , they are both on par with each other I couldnt see the value in the gopro for the money as the liquid one is 140 on ebay delivered. For mounting on the bike nice and compact and the liquid image app works very well with the wifi.
    Big $$$ if you have 2 gopros and bin them liquid image not as pricey.
    I'm just about sold, BoB!! I've been putting off buying the Hero3 because of the cost, but I'd really like wifi capability, AND I'd like to cover the bike in cameras for multiple angles. So two more of these (to add to the two early Heros) might just be the ticket! And that'll be 2 new cameras for less than the price of one Black.

does anyone know how well the liquid images crash? My goPro has had a tough life not just on the bike

Thanks guys. I might grab one of these

Bob what mounts are you using?

I used this mount on the tail section last time and drilled two holes in the plastic base to bolt to the tail piece that already had a hole (didnt know how good the sticky tape mount was)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170997597...84.m1423.l2649
    the good thing with the ego is that you dont need to put it in a bulky case to mount it . The base of the camera has a tapped thread to mount . You can still get a case to mount it also if you prefer .

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Liquid-Im...item27d0403bb8

I will post some pics tomorrow of how i mounted it

Senator8 ...have you any pics of the mounts your using / any feedback on the egos your using?

like the looks of the egos as well, might get one and use it with my go pro 2 hero

Senator8 ...have you any pics of the mounts your using / any feedback on the egos your using?
    I'll post some pics up later of the mounts I have. For those of you that already have gopros I have read but not needed to try myself that with a little filing the ego mounts will fit into the gopro stick on tabs. My opinion is the ego mounts are cheaper and better quality anyway. Alex Cudlins gopro mount snapped the first time he used it at EC!

The reason I went with the ego was it is full hd 1080 30fps or 720@ 60fps. Plenty for my use. I'm not producing a Hollywood movie and 720 still looks great on the big tv. It's wireless so I can adjust everything from exposure for dark days to viewing (width) angle, see what I'm shooting and view it when I get back to the pits from my iphone or download the file to the phone and send it straight to youtube. All this for $150! I bought 3 for the price of one gopro. I like Marshy use multiple camera angles, but mine are for assessing my riding. as well as enjoying the watching later.

Liquid image are not a new company. They have been making action camera goggles for years. I've recommended these to quite a few mates and all are happy and so far, touchwood - no issues. I'm not knocking Gopro, but for the money I'm not buying one either.

I second everything above. 720p@60fps is PLENTY! The only reason I mentioned the other specs on the Black is because, as I said, if you're good at video editing (and that's a pretty HARD thing to do), more fps will let you do a lot of cool stuff. That's it. Also, Ryan has both the gopro3 Black and the Ego and he reckons image quality is the same when the settings are the same... he also uses the gopro mounts on the ego and vice versa. And if the ego mounts are better, I might have to buy some myself 'casue the gopro ones are #$%#%&

Ok, I'm totally sold on the LI!!!! Thanks to windy for starting this thread, and for everyone else's knowledgeable comments - I've changed my mind on buying new cameras (and ideally I want some new ones before PI in a few weeks).

Group buy, anyone?? I'll organise it. Who's in?

im interested in getting another one .

mounted on tail , drilled the plastic feet and used bolts , but the tape may be ok . Had the holes already in the feet from mounting on the oggy knob

mounted on the oggy knob , hoping that the oggy knob will take the damage as its wider than the ego..

Last edited by BoB; 13-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Group buy, anyone?? I'll organise it. Who's in?
    I'm in if I can sell my akro slip ons in time.
    No...I'm not loving that and I'm not loving that! But I'm loving this!

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/oran-...il-2009-702765

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/track...d-video-625380

mounted on tail

mounted on the oggy knob , hoping that the oggy knob will take the damage as its wider than the ego..

Word of advice, Ryan's was mounted same as yours on the tail and it broke off mostly likely due to the vibration. It actually broke the base of casing (see through bit) and not the mount... One advice I'd give to anyone running ANY of these cameras is to ziptie it to the bike in case they come loose. I have mine mounted on the triple and I made a sort of a 'leash' out of zipties that I secure to the camera/bike. It has saved me a few times already...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Word of advice, Ryan's was mounted same as yours on the tail and it broke off mostly likely due to the vibration. It actually broke the base of casing (see through bit) and not the mount... One advice I'd give to anyone running ANY of these cameras is to ziptie it to the bike in case they come loose. I have mine mounted on the triple and I made a sort of a 'leash' out of zipties that I secure to the camera/bike. It has saved me a few times already...
    Thanks Ed.

Here are some of my mounts.

And here is my newest edition, given it's first shakedown yesterday, It's a lower spec replay xd it is only 720@ 60fps. Not as powerful or featured as it's full hd bigger brother but it is smaller comes with everything needed including many mounts and under $200. I'm going to use it for mounting in spots to see suspension working, swingarm etc as it is very easy to mount almost anywhere. Tried it yesterday mounted to my engine case looking at the front wheel. Did a great job. As you can see it looks tiny in my hand (Baddie, are those words familiar to you?)

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    As you can see it looks tiny in my hand (Baddie, are those words familiar to you?)
    what big hands you have...

that little camera is awesome! You can even mount it under your belly pan if you want to* Also, the LI mounts looks heaps stronger the gopro ones...

*Disclaimer, do not do that. It's a stupid idea and it will get hit with rocks, pieces of rubber and should you ever feel the 'need' to jump a curb it may decide to divorce your bike

put me down mate

love that for sub 200 i can come back to the pits and check footage and adjust where needed via iphon for half the price of the go pro! Saying that will still be mounting my go pro so can run front and rear facing

Here's the test footage from the new mini camera. Did a great job mounted on the engine cover! No audio though from the vibration and wind noise.

Nice. Cool watching the tyre working.

Wow, that's awesome!!

Awesome... I am in for one of these.
    Marshy when are you looking at doing a group buy? I would need to get a few mounts as well if they are not included.
    Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

Going to have a look at jaycar as I think I saw these there last week and from memory $149

Guys I just spoke to sydney ebikes on parramatta road.
    They have the liquid ego for $149. He is going to call me back with a price for multiple cameras.

Do these have input for external mic?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271211062...84.m1423.l2649

Just got a couple of these to try , nice and cheap , metal body , screws into the base of the Li , plenty of adjustment. Haven't tried it on the bike yet , aslong as the locking screw doesnt come loose it should work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    Do these have input for external mic?
    No I cannot see any place to plug in an external mic

Hey Rob, can you update my firmware in my three cameras next week, pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Hey Rob, can you update my firmware in my three cameras next week, pretty please?
    I will post up a how to for updating the firmware in the li so the liquid image app will work. Happy to do yours Rick .

I'm interested in a group buy

Sydney ebikes just called me back and the best prices they can do is $199.

Thread Information