Thread: (Another) New track proposed for central coast

(Another) New track proposed for central coast

Fingers crossed this one gets up, it's only 10 minutes from my place. Lie ins on track days

Website http://casarpark.org.au/home/4578698419

What is CASAR Park?
    CASAR Park (the ‘Park’) is a community motor sport and recreation complex that features a 3.5 km race track, undercover pit garages and associated amenities.

Situated on the scenic Central Coast of NSW, the complex will be perfectly placed within a short driving distance of Sydney, the largest population concentration in Australia. The proposed site for the Park is a 115 hectare parcel in north Wyong Shire, near the southern boundary for Lake Macquarie City. The land is privately owned, with early stage discussions for this site being conceptual, informal, and simply to facilitate the drafting of the proposed site plan.
    The subject is bounded (broadly) by the Sydney-Newcastle (F3) Freeway to the west, Bushell’s Ridge Rd to the north, the Sydney-Newcastle Rail line to the east and to the south by the Motorway Link Rd which joins the Freeway to the Pacific Highway and on to the eastern side of Lake Macquarie.
    Travel time would be less than an hour from Wahroonga (the start of the Freeway in the Sydney Metropolitan area), and similar from the centre of Newcastle. The nearest rail access is Wyee station, some 850m from the nearest proposed access point to the Park.

Taken from

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/d871d55e4545d7abca257ba3000d74dd/$FILE/0013%20CASAR%20Park.pdf

There also a fb page

Fingers crossed for this going ahead .. Long overdue! Was such a shame to see Oran park go!

That would be great!

This is the critical next step for CASAR Park and community support is essential. Our target is to raise $350,000 by 30th September 2013 through commercial sponsorships and crowdfunding contributions.
    I wonder how long this has been around for as the 30th isn't to far away and their crowdfunding page isn't up yet

Link to our crowdfunding page coming soon!
    if it was fair dinkum I'd throw a few bucks their way
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    if it was fair dinkum I'd throw a few bucks their way
    Me too. Awesome concept, but they need to get someone with a few web skills to update their site!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Me too. Awesome concept, but they need to get someone with a few web skills to update their site!
    +1

If they lose the walls on the outside of the turns I'll even pitch in... but with those walls, that's not a motorcycle track.

OMFG!!! THAT LOOKS AMAZING!! Gimme the walls baby... FB https://www.facebook.com/CASARpark

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Isle of Man TT Apprentice.
    Racing... it's life. Everything else is just waiting.
    2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 Race bike -SOLD
    2010 Kawasaki ZX6R Race bike (my chariot for the IOMTT)

I like the layout but I seriously see no reason why a track is better with walls instead of a run off area.

Horses for courses Mr. Ed... (no pun intended)...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I like the layout but I seriously see no reason why a track is better with walls instead of a run off area.

Actually I reckon the layout is pretty poor. And walls are NEVER a good idea for any form of motorsport, cars or bikes. Just look at the carnage at any V8 or street-circuit F1 race.

The layout is all loooong fast lefts, and a few slow rights. Very Phillip Island, where the left side of the tyre will be completely shagged after 5 laps, and the right side will stay cold.

Street circuits are completely different to short circuit... here it looks like the walls are positioned in such a way that unless someone royally gets it wrong, there should be no reason for a crash there. Where as on a street circuit you have a wall at the end of a long straight... That is the dangerous part.

The worst wall looks like pit wall... and that's just as bad is Wakefield or OP (may it rest in peace)... where walls the are on the exit of a corner under hard acceleration, most likely for a highside...

But it's an anti-clockwise circuit... wouldn't left side tyre wear be a given?

Actually I reckon the layout is pretty poor. And walls are NEVER a good idea for any form of motorsport, cars or bikes. Just look at the carnage at any V8 or street-circuit F1 race.

The layout is all loooong fast lefts, and a few slow rights. Very Phillip Island, where the left side of the tyre will be completely shagged after 5 laps, and the right side will stay cold.

Quote Originally Posted by DisPlaCeD View Post
    Street circuits are completely different to short circuit... here it looks like the walls are positioned in such a way that unless someone royally gets it wrong, there should be no reason for a crash there. Where as on a street circuit you have a wall at the end of a long straight... That is the dangerous part.

The worst wall looks like pit wall... and that's just as bad is Wakefield or OP (may it rest in peace)... where walls the are on the exit of a corner under hard acceleration, most likely for a highside...

But it's an anti-clockwise circuit... wouldn't left side tyre wear be a given?
    Crashes often occur for many, many reasons where they 'shouldn't' - overtaking manoeuvres, mechanical failures, ambition outweighing talent etc etc etc. I guess my point is that it isn't a street circuit, it's a racetrack. And racetracks had walls in the bad old days (eg Oran), but now have runoff for obvious safety reasons. Why make an unsafe new racetrack?? If he is seriously proposing this layout with walls, there's no way MA will approve it for motorcycles (and I suspect none of the major car series will want to race there either). Even if not for safety concerns, even a minor brush with a wall in a car can do massive damage that costs a bomb to fix. Dragging a car out of a gravel trap costs nothing.

Left tyre wear is usually higher on an anti-clockwise circuit, although not always. The trick is to balance the load, and the most ferocious wear (cars and bikes) comes from fast, accelerating-exit loooooong corners. Which is made worse if they are close together and don't let the tyre cool and recover. A-la Phillip Island.

If you have a left and a right fast long corner, then the wear is more evenly spread. If the only fast corners are lefts, you get very uneven wear.

I might make a suggestion you guys never go racing on some of the err more challanging smaller circuits in the uk

Crashes often occur for many, many reasons where they 'shouldn't' - overtaking manoeuvres, mechanical failures, ambition outweighing talent etc etc etc. I guess my point is that it isn't a street circuit, it's a racetrack. And racetracks had walls in the bad old days (eg Oran), but now have runoff for obvious safety reasons. Why make an unsafe new racetrack?? If he is seriously proposing this layout with walls, there's no way MA will approve it for motorcycles (and I suspect none of the major car series will want to race there either). Even if not for safety concerns, even a minor brush with a wall in a car can do massive damage that costs a bomb to fix. Dragging a car out of a gravel trap costs nothing.

Left tyre wear is usually higher on an anti-clockwise circuit, although not always. The trick is to balance the load, and the most ferocious wear (cars and bikes) comes from fast, accelerating-exit loooooong corners. Which is made worse if they are close together and don't let the tyre cool and recover. A-la Phillip Island.

If you have a left and a right fast long corner, then the wear is more evenly spread. If the only fast corners are lefts, you get very uneven wear.
    Totally agree Nick.

Turns out there are financial reasons to have safer tracks too ... Track Standards

Yeah I cringed when I saw the walls. Was in the rhythm of following the track (complete with slight dipping of the shoulders) then came around that corner and straightened up :(
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    I might make a suggestion you guys never go racing on some of the err more challanging smaller circuits in the uk
    If it is what it is that's fine just seems weird to build it from scratch like that.
    do a burnout

I know what your saying Dan..... seems to be the in think to have walls all over the place

It wasn't intended for bikes in the beginning as far as I know. But many riders including myself started emailing etc asking why. It seems they have slightly changed the blurb to say riding/rider.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Also seems completely crazy to build a track from scratch and not have it suitable for motorcycles considering EC Ride Days get 150+ riders every event. Can't imagine the circuit would survive 12 months without bikes being able to use it.

Looks like you get a choice at T6 ... a wall or utilise the run off ... over the train line ... personally I'd go the trains- less permanent.

The map shows an easement through the guts of the entire property / track for a proposed rail loop ... so might need some railway crossings too ...

Seriously isn't there a better suited piece of land on the central coast than this one?

Website also says they have generous run off ...
    The track itself is 12m wide with generous run-off and the thickness of sub-base and asphalt is at international standard – quality of the driving surface is paramount.
    That said be nice if the SMSP sub base was at international standard under T1, maybe with some drainage too.

Quote Originally Posted by DisPlaCeD View Post

Sooooooo many 'sleepers' at that last corner at OP (T11?)... just ask Wetty. And that was with an air fence and all. I was there when a guy decided to go into the pits in the last minute and collected a rider tossing both into the dividing all... not pretty. Then again, that accident could easily happen in most circuits... oddly enough, not at WP.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 18-01-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: 'cause auto-correct

Mmm walls are very iffy ... anyone else notice the Phillip island go kart track? lol
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

New "sneak peak" from that casar mob. Still with the walls ...

I hope that this is not all the progress they've done since January...

reminds me of the ABC documentary , Utopia. 'Nation Building Australia' lol

no more walls!

Looks pretty cool. Last corner onto the straight is the only one where the walls look a bit close. But if it's as undulating as it looks, then it would be a great track to ride!

Thread Information