Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My ZX6R build - The Kangasaki

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    I dont think so....
    Mick James, Mick Jeffery, Mick Lockhart, Mick Gilligan, Mick Doolan, Mick C... nowhere near enough
    Mick McLinden... Mick Doohan... Mick Jagger (w8 wat??)

was that "Whats Little Mick Doin?"
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Well, it depends on whether or not ♫♪you've got the moves like Jagger♪♫

Ok front wheel time again lol As far as I can tell the embossed text is only on 1 side. If anyones got a 09+ ZX6 could you take a quick look for me and let me know which sides it on. derp!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry mate... my bike is currently having cosmetic surgery elsewhere! haha

Look at the spokes..

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Look at the spokes..
    Couldnt find any holes :(

Near center

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Couldnt find any holes :(
    See the holes in the spokes??

The holes point forward hence telling you the rotation of the tyre
    Attached Images Attached Images

See the holes in the spokes??

The holes point forward hence telling you the rotation of the tyre
    Nothing like that on my spokes, all seem to be solid :S

Hmmm maybe the kwaks are the exception to the rule.

Yammies have them.. so do the suzukis and hondas.

Different design... Kawas don't have the 3 or 5 spoke design (except the new 10R)

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFY View Post
    There's an arrow on one side only
    Im pretty sure CLiffy is right...

also look at the tyre...should indicate a direction...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Look at the Arrow near the bolt hole for the rotor
    zx6r wheel.jpg
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

ah hahhhhh! fuckers hard to spot with the brake rotors on and a nice ammount of grime on the top but got it now lol Cheers fellas!

I get a liquid-paper pen and draw a few arrows on the edge of the rim, just so you don't have to mess around each time. It's not totally permanent, and you can clean it off if you need to remove it later.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I get a liquid-paper pen and draw a few arrows on the edge of the rim, just so you don't have to mess around each time. It's not totally permanent, and you can clean it off if you need to remove it later.
    Ditto. Helps the guys changing your tyres too.

Yeah definitely going down that route next time. I was so excited about getting my first set of slicks fitted I didn't even think about it lol

Well got the wheels back on and the link pipe and exhaust fitted. Spent a whole bunch of time trying to figure out why my bike was dying after 3 seconds. Turns I had disconnected the vehicle down sensor lol On the upside discovered that its relatively easy to retrieve error codes from the dash.
    Theres a car mechanics by the end of my block, went in there this morning and asked one of the guys if he would mind loosening the front sprocket nut off the ZX if I wheeled it down for a coulple of bucks. Turns out hes just on his L's riding a 250 so was happy to oblige so thats sorted and will have a go at the chain and sprockets this weekend hopefully

Yeah definitely going down that route next time. I was so excited about getting my first set of slicks fitted I didn't even think about it lol
    Which slicks did you put on??? There is most likely a direction marker on the tyre that you want to match with direction marker on rim? Although I've heard some people reverse them to gain more bang for buck?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Which slicks did you put on??? There is most likely a direction marker on the tyre that you want to match with direction marker on rim? Although I've heard some people reverse them to gain more bang for buck?
    Set of second hand Pirelli sbk pros, yeah my paranoia kicked in and all I could think was "wait what if the mechanics put it on wrong". They didn't lol

Dude if i was you id toss those tyre's. The thing with those tyre's is that are really hard and show no visible signs of wear so in the surface it looks like there is plenty of grip but unreality they have gone through plenty of heat cycles. They also have a reputation for letting go if you give it has while cranked over which i can conform first hand

The fronts are pretty good actually but the rears do spin up fairly easily.

Depending on his pace he might be ok with them

Quote Originally Posted by Mazabuzz View Post
    Dude if i was you id toss those tyre's. The thing with those tyre's is that are really hard and show no visible signs of wear so in the surface it looks like there is plenty of grip but unreality they have gone through plenty of heat cycles. They also have a reputation for letting go if you give it has while cranked over which i can conform first hand
    They have done half a session and been crashed on. They actually look brand new. Previous owner was a red group rider who thought he would give them a try and crashed with in a few laps after trying to chase after a friend who went past. They are actually in stupidly good condition. I'm still middle of the pack yellow group so should be enough for me for a while yet.

Got the sprockets on, mid pipe on and new chain this weekend. Just need to sort out new bolts for the tank + front fender and mounting point for the front middle mount of the belly pan. Paint looks good from about 2m away, no closer lol

20/20 rule. Dont forget

20/20 rule. Dont forget
    That's what I've gone with and achieved haha.

Looks really good, mate!

But I'm sure you could drop a kg or 2 by using a smaller exhaust hanger!

Ps: that thing must be loud as with just that little can, no?

Looks good
    As Ed said- that hanger supporting the exhaust or the subframe?
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post

I think it makes a loud "buzzing" sound

Its definitely louder now with the mid pipe, no_styles R6 is ear shattering in comparison though lol. Also has a baffle I can put in there if it becomes a problem some day. Exhaust hanger is definitely on the large side, what can I say I can't afford a new rear shock so I need all the support I can get
    Next time I'll paint some black stripes around the tail piece cliffy :P

Used to have his type of pipe.. essentially just straight through.

Cost me a place at Broady cuz I couldn't do the sneaky sneaky past Stu23

Its common sense really, if you can't go fast, and you can't even look fast, you may as well try and sound fast....it's my only hope!

Little Mick's R6 definitely sounds VEEEEEEERY fast

Little Mick's R6 definitely sounds VEEEEEEERY fast
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

So finally got it out for the first time in around 8 months and first time since I started the conversion to a tracky. Did lvl1 css wednesday and a track day Thursday, few little hiccups lol.
    Came down the main straight during the second session off css realised my tacho wasn't working, then I realised it was the whole dash. Coming out of turn 2 the bikes start surging and spluttering.

Get around to turn 5 and the poor thing just doesn't have the legs to get up the rise so I pull over.
    I go to put the kickstand down forgetting I'm standing on grass and jumped up on the wall only to look down and see my bike on its side, things just keep getting better lol. 2 people crashed out in that session so when they came to grab me (since me and the bike were fine) I had to roll my bike back down through turn 5 and 4 in to the pits, wasn't much fun either lol

Damn battery died. From what I've been told I've either got a dead stator or regulator rectifier, wasn't recharging at all. Ended up running over to team moto black town and getting a new one, missed a lesson but didn't miss a session. My neighbor who came out to css ended up lending me his battery so Thursday's track day was spent constantly recharging and swapping batteries between sessions lol. The ctek quick connect charging cables I installed thanks to no_style really paid off. I could usually get 2 session out of each battery and was able to charge them easily between the 2 with out having to take the duck tail off.

Anyway bikes at the mechanics now so will have to wait and see.

Has anyone here run the pirelli sbk pro slicks? I'm running 25 psi rear 32 front hot. I'm finding the rear a bit weird when I open the throttle during cornering. Feels a bit squirmy but I think its just the tyre carcass compressing/deforming and something I have to get used to. I've only ever been on Pirelli rosso2 road tyre with usually around 36/36 psi hot before. Outside of that the bike was awesome, really noticed the difference with the gearing.

CSS was awesome, got a lot more out of it then I thought I would. Think I did it at the right time as well as I was starting to feel I was hitting a bit of a wall with my riding. Thursday was with out a doubt the best track day I have done yet and definitely feel like I can push further from there, bring on december 21st/22nd! Got really lucky with the weather to
    Last edited by KANGA; 30-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.

After riding it, yes its bloody loud. Did the first session of CSS with out ear plugs and severely regretted it haha

look up the rectifier recall 09-+ zx6rs had issues... warranty
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    look up the rectifier recall 09-+ zx6rs had issues... warranty
    Already had it done when it was still a street bike so that one has sailed

Ditch the pros
    They let go without warning

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFY View Post
    Ditch the pros
    They let go without warning
    Yep what he said

Yep what he said
    Thirded.
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Mazabuzz View Post
    Remember this!!!

fuck me spelling is bad

shit this is not what a man with no job and a bung reg/rec or stator wants to hear

The feeling definitely only ever came under acceleration and was worst in the corners I felt comfortable with and got on the gas hardest. On some corners didn't get that feeling at all so I'm thinking if it was the carcass deforming it would be happening on every corner and also not just under acceleration?

Right might start looking at some options *sigh*

Oh almost forgot. Finding the rear brake HRC tube is sweating and find its sprayed a bit of fluid out of the cap end when I come back in off the track. Got it loosely zip tied to the exhaust hanger at the moment. Can move around easily enough with out straining it, anyone else had problems with the tubes? I'm thinking I might lock wire or get a hose clamp on the cap end to stop the spraying at this point.

They all sweat... don't sweat! I have mine zip tied to the exhaust hanger I think... it's definitely zip tied to something! hahaha

Oh almost forgot. Finding the rear brake HRC tube is sweating and find its sprayed a bit of fluid out of the cap end when I come back in off the track. Got it loosely zip tied to the exhaust hanger at the moment. Can move around easily enough with out straining it, anyone else had problems with the tubes? I'm thinking I might lock wire or get a hose clamp on the cap end to stop the spraying at this point.
    If its squirting out the cap, it's overfull. There should be a decent air gap between the cap and top of the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    If its squirting out the cap, it's overfull. There should be a decent air gap between the cap and top of the fluid.
    That was my first thought but its only 2 thirds full, there's a decent gap so I don't think its that. I'll tie it off and see if it keeps on doing it next track day or not.

They all sweat... don't sweat! I have mine zip tied to the exhaust hanger I think... it's definitely zip tied to something! hahaha
    Ok sweet good to know, wont worry about that then. Zip ties definitely are a solution to most of life's problems!
    Last edited by KANGA; 05-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Ditch the hrc tube and replace it with tygon 2075 tubing , problem solved.. kurveygirl sells it
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Thread Information