Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My ZX6R build - The Kangasaki

Love the spray booth!!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Yeah, I got myself some nutserts and pneumatic tool (Stealth Tools nutser gun off fleabay - does up to M10). They are great little things to have around for repairs and mods!

Quote Originally Posted by No_Style View Post
    Yeah, I got myself some nutserts and pneumatic tool (Stealth Tools nutser gun off fleabay - does up to M10). They are great little things to have around for repairs and mods!

One small thing to watch out for when you change thread inserts ,that insert bit that the threaded bar attaches to that goes in the gun is left hand thread.

Marshy did you go pneumatic?

Yeah, the LH thread caught me out for a few seconds when I went to remove it after use

I just got the cheapie manual jobbie - I'm only gonna use it very occasionally, so it'll do for now. It's a bloody ripper!

I need one of these dealies to wack some mounting points for the gixxer, Dan, I'll swap you the M/C for two of those jobbies fitted :P

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    I need one of these dealies to wack some mounting points for the gixxer, Dan, I'll swap you the M/C for two of those jobbies fitted :P
    deal lad

If anyone's interested I bought this one, cheaper then the whole kit and kaboodle. Bought just the nutserts I needed for the job from another ebay seller for $6.75 shipped. Knowing my luck I'll suddenly need to use every size of nutsert and wish I had bought the proper kit with in a week of it turning up lol
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROFESSIO...item53ed463916
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Back in black.
    Nutsert tool finally turned up. I had to expand the hole in the chassis slightly for the nutsert. OEM one's were evidently 9mm in diameter but the ones I bought were 9.5 so drilled it out a bit.

Looks fantastic!!

Very nice!
    do a burnout

Yep, I like it too!! It does need a bit of fluoro on the bellypan to break it up a bit IMHO... Maybe a sticker of your race # or smt will do!

Looks good Mick!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Yep, I like it too!! It does need a bit of fluoro on the bellypan to break it up a bit IMHO... Maybe a sticker of your race # or smt will do!
    Will wait until my mega flouro gimoto leathers turn up before I decide on adding any more flouro

Will be back out on the 19th, fingers crossed I can start bouncing back from the crash. Have some things I want to work on which will hopefully up my confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Will wait until my mega flouro gimoto leathers turn up before I decide on adding any more flouro

Will be back out on the 19th, fingers crossed I can start bouncing back from the crash. Have some things I want to work on which will hopefully up my confidence.
    Good luck!
    do a burnout

Hey Mick, what paint did you use for the fluoro?

I've patched my fairings and will need to rub down and re-paint, wanted to get some fluoro in there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Good luck!
    Cheers mate!

Hey Mick, what paint did you use for the fluoro?

I've patched my fairings and will need to rub down and re-paint, wanted to get some fluoro in there somewhere
    I used blaze yellow plastidip spray over the white primer I laid down for the paint. I tried a few different fluro paints in the past which turned out badly with a weird texture to them. This is a much better result but still not as nice as some proper flouro paint if anyone can recommend a good brand to you.

I used blaze yellow plastidip spray over the white primer I laid down for the paint. I tried a few different fluro paints in the past which turned out badly with a weird texture to them. This is a much better result but still not as nice as some proper flouro paint if anyone can recommend a good brand to you.
    How many cans did you use?

I might do my wheels as well, (just watched a sweet vid on YT)

How many cans did you use?

I might do my wheels as well, (just watched a sweet vid on YT)
    That was about 3 quarters of a can. Definitely put down a white coat first if you decide to use it. The rims just have rim tape, didn't use plastidip on that.

Couldn't help my self. Monster and Kawasaki go together like green eggs and ham.
    If anyone's out there tomorrow then see you out there!

Looks great!!

Nice touch ... looks great.

I fucking love your scorpion exhuast
    I do today what people won't so I can do tomorrow what people can't

Quote Originally Posted by Mazabuzz View Post
    I fucking love your scorpion exhuast
    Yep sounds amazing to!

I made good progress yesterday. Pre crash I was doing consistent 2:23s. I started the day doing 2:26s still feeling wobbly after the crash, went down to 2:20s then came down to consistent 2:18s for the last 2 sessions with a random 2:16 in there. So my consistent lap time is 5 seconds faster then my pre crash time and my pb is 7 so stoked with that Just wish I had made it a double header weekend now
    Last edited by KANGA; 20-04-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Hey mate, fun day out there yesterday! Were you in green? I saw you on the track a couple of times. the bike looks great! Exhaust sounds nice too.

Yep I was out there plodding about in green group, had a blast in the last 2 sessions. Which bike was yours?

Mine is the 04 R1 next to the wall. My rear tyre started to go off in the 2nd last session, was a shame I got out at near the front of the=at one and had clear track after a couple of laps!

Are you heading out monday aswell?
    Attached Images Attached Images

nah won't be out again until the end of June at this rate

Yep sounds amazing to!

I made good progress yesterday. Pre crash I was doing consistent 2:23s. I started the day doing 2:26s still feeling wobbly after the crash, went down to 2:20s then came down to consistent 2:18s for the last 2 sessions with a random 2:16 in there. So my consistent lap time is 5 seconds faster then my pre crash time and my pb is 7 so stoked with that Just wish I had made it a double header weekend now
    That's great mate, congrats!
    do a burnout

Hey guys noticed this on my rear tyre, the gouge I'm hoping was just from running over something but the vertical lines are weirding me out. They kind off start and stop like that all around the tyre. I'm a bit worried its something like the 2 compounds splitting.
    Anyone got any idea of what it could be? Tyre is a kr451 7455/2662 (Med/Soft) the soft is on the right hand side.
    Last edited by KANGA; 23-04-2014 at 10:03 AM.

You're actually right in your assessment, although it's nothing to worry about. The vertical split is just the delineation between the two compounds. It won't split apart, don't worry! It's not the underlying carcass, just the overlying 'grippy' rubber surface.

The gouge is also just that. I'd be more worried about that, personally. Although it looks fine, just keep an eye on it.

Just got a reply from dunlopracing.com

The one gouge is from running over something, but it’s not deep and does not look like an issue.

The other is the seam, again not an issue. It’s just where the center compounds meet the side compound. There are several layers there and it just on the surface and not an issue. Nothing to be concerned about.

Cool thanks marshy, you replied to quickly!

I'm just lucky my assessment matched Dunlop's!!

Although there also is this to consider:

Haha, that's a classic Marshy!

Holy fuck can see why a bike lift table would be useful. Installing one of these + an injured shoulder & pec from the floor was a fucken painful experience. That's not even including the part when the drill got caught the edge of the weld that goes down the swing arm, ripped it self out of my hands and smacked me in the face! ... even I think that one was pretty special lol
    That weld made things pretty annoying though. Had to off set it so it sticks out a bit. Not the prettiest but meh it works.
    Won't end up like Daryl Beattie now!
    Be3a0IpCUAAtpby.jpg

Bought these LED strips for a couple of bucks, my intention is to have them wired up (by no_style) to the current shift light on the dash which isn't very visible. Will be stuck on top of the dash which is partially covered by the number board on the wind screen. If it works out it should light up the back of the number board red.

Also Finally sorted out a proper set of leathers. yay!
    IMG_1475.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, those leathers are perfect!!!

I like the LED idea... the ZX6's shift light sucks!

I like the LED idea... the ZX6's shift light sucks!
    Yeah doesnt help that its the same colour as the low fuel light to, I thought I might have a fueling problem once because I thought the fuel light kept flickering on until I realised it was the bloody shift light ... again not one of my finest moments lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Not gonna lie, wearing em right now lol
    Last edited by KANGA; 06-05-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Nice bright leathers!!!

Gunna be lit up like a Christmas tree at around 14400rpm

14400?? Bit early, no?

14400?? Bit early, no?
    Mick isn't setting up a redline light, he's setting up a shift light. I'm not sitting in front of the bike or googling for an exact response as I have a real life, but all 3 of my ZX6Rs SHIFT LIGHTS come on pretty fucken close to 14400.

But then again, you have stated previously that your bike uses over a 1L per session more (but no exact measurement given) than the one I use to own and my current 2 ZX6Rs, so maybe I don't have a clue again?? No?

My ZX6R build - The Kangasaki

I've found anything over 14,000 is losing speed on my cbr :( but it uses jack shit fuel lol

Nice leathers Mick!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFY View Post
    Mick isn't setting up a redline light, he's setting up a shift light. I'm not sitting in front of the bike or googling for an exact response as I have a real life, but all 3 of my ZX6Rs SHIFT LIGHTS come on pretty fucken close to 14400.

But then again, you have stated previously that your bike uses over a 1L per session more (but no exact measurement given) than the one I use to own and my current 2 ZX6Rs, so maybe I don't have a clue again?? No?
    Sensitive subject is it?

Anyway, just don't see the point of having the lights flashing for 1000rpms till you change gears...

What that has to do with fuel consumption beats me. Disagreeing with you is not an insult... Nor did I ever say you 'don't have a clue'. Gearing, map, riding style are just a few things that can influence the outcome so when I mentioned the number I get (whenever that was) those were exactly it.

The.numbers.I.got. It was never personal.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 07-05-2014 at 12:05 PM.

don't see the point of having the lights flashing for 1000rpms till you change gears...
    Oh c'mon Ed, I have mine flashing for like 30 seconds each gear change!! And they build colours and number of LEDs as the revs go up, before finally flashing all of them at once for a while (the white high-intensity ones at the very end are really blindingly bright too). It makes me feel sooooooooo MotoGP/Formula 1!!

Hahaha not gonna lie to you, when I had the shift i on the R6 it would start lighting up at 12k and then flash like a disco light at 15.5k. Useful little thing that was!

Sensitive subject is it?
    Just that you've questioned 2 of my posts now on different forums for no good reason.

Disagreeing is an insult without a decent alternative as a reply.

All due respect, mate... They are, as you said, forums*! So my experiences/opinions differ from yours, well... That's a part of it. Questioning is a part of it too otherwise what you should be doing is writing your blog!

I never even disagreed with you, I asked the reason behind your suggestion (14.4krpm) which IMHO is fair game in a forum. Maybe you knew something I didn't and I could learn from that as I have in many occasions, both here and in other forums. And that to me is a good reason to question. I honestly don't even know to what post you're referring to re fuel consumption, I'm sure it happened, but I seriously don't recall it... So forgive me if I can't explain the ins and outs of that particular post. I assume you or someone else asked about the zx6r fuel consumption on track and we got different results. Not sure why that would offend anyone or if it does, why you should be offended and not me?! I'm not btw.

Also, if you like following my posts, you might have noticed I'm usually more inclined to mention I don't know shit than to offer an indisputable truth. Or maybe, just maybe, reserve judgement since the internet is a bitch to convey sentiments and we have never even met in person that I'm aware.

* "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"

Thread Information