Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My ZX6R build - The Kangasaki

Back on topic, riding with Kanga and Little Mick at the same time will probably feel blinding fast... Hahaha

I need to work on my fluoro, no excuses.

In all seriousness isn't your shift point determined by your dyno sheet? Obviously two bikes of different models and mods will be different..

As far as I know your ideal shift point is at peak torque. This is what they used to say in drag racing. I just checked my dyno sheet and peak torque is at 14.1 which is the number I came to by seat of the pants feel.

Well, that is a good question... Which I once asked a racer heaps better than I'll ever be and his answer was "tachos are at least just as optimistic as speedos. Most are worst. That's why you see your R6* rev past what is supposed to be the limiter. So if you know your shift point is supposed to be 15Krpm, plan to shift past that. On a 600 I'll usually change gears just before it hits the limiter because even if the power drops a bit after the peak is nowhere near as bad as when you find yourself just a bit under"

Well, that's not a word by word account but you get the gist of it! Hahaha Anyway, I've doing that since on race days and I like the results. I tend not shift a bit earlier on regular track days though but that's just because I don't need/want to push the engine when I'm not even racing.

Surely someone else has a better insight into the matter though

*Had a R6 back in the day

Yeh the R6s were famous for those tachos. I got aftermarket dash so there's a chance it's right. That's why I've just dialed my shift lights in by feel. When I watch my videos I can see/hear the power dropoff on an overrev. Also just riding I'll play around shifting a fraction earlier or later relative to the lights and I can see if it's better or worse. I'm happy where I've got it now but it's interesting to see it line up with my peak torque exactly though

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    In all seriousness isn't your shift point determined by your dyno sheet? Obviously two bikes of different models and mods will be different..

As far as I know your ideal shift point is at peak torque. This is what they used to say in drag racing. I just checked my dyno sheet and peak torque is at 14.1 which is the number I came to by seat of the pants feel.
    Yep.

I set my shift points just after peak HP

That way I have over rev to run if I need to by about 1200rpms

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Well, that is a good question... Which I once asked a racer heaps better than I'll ever be and his answer was "tachos are at least just as optimistic as speedos. Most are worst. That's why you see your R6* rev past what is supposed to be the limiter. So if you know your shift point is supposed to be 15Krpm, plan to shift past that. On a 600 I'll usually change gears just before it hits the limiter because even if the power drops a bit after the peak is nowhere near as bad as when you find yourself just a bit under"

Well, that's not a word by word account but you get the gist of it! Hahaha Anyway, I've doing that since on race days and I like the results. I tend not shift a bit earlier on regular track days though but that's just because I don't need/want to push the engine when I'm not even racing.

Surely someone else has a better insight into the matter though

*Had a R6 back in the day
    some small change worth of input...

take this graph below as a reference....

13_HP_tor_ninja_comp.jpg

from here...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/311/16...-the-Dyno.aspx

location of peak torque can be much lower than peak HP due to a function of revs... from the graphs above - you can see that the torque is almost a flat line, but the power keeps going up... (torque is still uber critical though as as it drops off, the rate of horsepower created also reduces until it goes backwards)

For those of us that ride the later zx6r's, we would be shifting upwards of 14k.. to get really anal (critical for drag) you would look at the delta in RPM between gears and factor that into how much hp you have on tap as you go up the revs vs what you would have if you shifted a gear, not to mention where you are on track (straight, turn, exit etc...)

so in the case of the graph, depending on the gear you are in and the change in RPM for that gear, for a shift point of 14k, 1-2 will drop revs approx. 2600 rpm to 11350, and 5-6 change will drop revs by 1200 rpm to 12800. The shift point might be around 15000+ in the lower gear changes to get you higher up the HP curve on the shift, but in the 5-6 gear change, you may be better off changing around 14500ish.

Generally I shift on feel at around 15.5k ish but don't look at the shift light (not that it would help as its almost invisible). I haven't consciously changed gears at a certain rpm for a specific gear, but may inadvertently do it pending track position...

Note, this is all theoretical and you need to factor in the speed lost due to gear shift (minimal with QS) and a whole heap of other factors but you get the drift.

Cheers

Mick
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

I did do this one experiment completely not scientific at all where I shifted out T12 at 14k (cause I too saw a graph like the one above) for a whole and then did the same thing next session but shifting at past 15.5k. I got an avg top speed around 5km/h higher on the second session! How much of that was due to me twisting the throttle harder/earlier or not, or braking later, head winds vs tail wind, I don't know but the speeds around T12 were remarkably close.

Ed Zachary . It's all about the angles of the curves and where you are on it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Mick Doohan, you and I both know I look at those curves and pretend someone drew a slippery dip...

Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

IMG_1513.JPG
    If anyones interested, R6 Throttle tube (left) vs ZX6R throttle tube(right)
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Straight swap?? That does look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Straight swap?? That does look good.
    Supposed to be able to lol, will post up the results

hahaha please do!

I've done it on the gsxr cheap mod works well

Works a treat, just got around to installing it.
    New problem though, evidently the little notch thing in the throttle housing that's supposed to keep it in place has broken off and the fucking housing is twisting around the bar when I get to WOT. Anyone got a easy fix solution for that?
    Last edited by KANGA; 24-05-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Works a treat, just got around to installing it.
    New problem though, evidently the little notch thing in the throttle housing that's supposed to keep it in place has broken off and the fucking housing is twisting around the bar when I get to WOT. Anyone got a easy fix solution for that?
    had the same problem on my aprilia, never figured out how to fix it

Usually I find with throttle housings, I can just do them up really tight and it's ok. The run/stop switchblock always causes me issues when people have chopped off the nipple. For this, I just wrap the bar in a few turns of electrical tape and then tighten the switchblock up onto the tape. Works a treat! Never moves again.

You could maybe try the same thing with the throttle, but you'd need to be really careful you position the tape so the throttle tube has no chance of getting stuck on it!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    The run/stop switchblock always causes me issues when people have chopped off the nipple. For this, I just wrap the bar in a few turns of electrical tape and then tighten the switchblock up onto the tape. Works a treat! Never moves again.
    guilty.. haha I don't like to keep drilling into the clipon especially on the track with no drill bit!

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    guilty.. haha I don't like to keep drilling into the clipon especially on the track with no drill bit!
    So you're the one!

Handyman would have a spare bar all ready to pop in, pre-drilled and sitting in the spares box.....

Yep, I had that problem with the Driven clip on... PITA!

Sweet sounds cheap an easy! I'll give it a go

Shit that really does work, Cheers Marshy!

Anytime, mate

Hey guys just trying to make a list to get my bike race ready.

Have Safety wired my
    -Radiator cap.
    -Coolant drain bolt.
    -Sump Plug.
    -Oil filler cap.
    -Brake Caliper bolts
    -Have the chain guard installed.
    -Flushed the coolant out for distilled water.

I need tooooooo

-get plugs for the belly pan.
    -Over flow bottle.
    -Take off the kickstand.
    -Race numbers

Also I believe i need to get a ring or something put around the end of my muffler as its not rounded. How strict are they on that one?

Anything else I'm missing?

Also I believe i need to get a ring or something put around the end of my muffler as its not rounded. How strict are they on that one?

have you changed your muffler since the last time? last one you had was fine

Have Safety wired my
    -Radiator cap.
    -Coolant drain bolt.
    -Sump Plug.
    -Oil filler cap.
    -Brake Caliper bolts
    -Have the chain guard installed.
    -Flushed the coolant out for distilled water.

I need tooooooo

-get plugs for the belly pan.
    -Over flow bottle.
    -Take off the kickstand.
    -Race numbers

Oil filter?
    You got case guards for anything that may touch?
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Shark fin?
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Take the kickstand off on race day, but you will have to loop the circuit on the kickstand safety sensor.
    Get yourself some spares like pegs, bars, levers, screen.....

and dont let your talent out weigh you ambition. There was alot of this at the last round

Or at least save it for the last lap so the race is run

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFY View Post
    Or at least save it for the last lap so the race is run
    Yeh leavin pit lane is a bit premmy

Quote Originally Posted by WETTY View Post
    and dont let your talent out weigh you ambition. There was alot of this at the last round

Just launch it out of the garage into pit lane wall
    You'll be famous
    Last edited by CLIFFY; 02-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Yep same slip on exhaust Andrew. I've seen some people get the ring majigga things put over the end and thought it was a regulation thing.
    Ah yes I have safety wired the oil filter forgot about that. Have GB racing covers on there at the moment.
    Sorry Mick meant sharkfin/toe guard when I said chain guard so thats good to go.
    I've got 2 spare screens, spare clipons bars, spare foot pegs, complete set of oem rear sets, spare oem throttle tube and spare levers.

Don't worry I watched the St George round on the Sunday and saw more then enough crashes to know to take it easy in my first meet. If it wasn't for tarmac talk and my facebook feed blowing up about what a cluster fuck it was and how it was so out of the norm I probably would have ditched the idea of racing all together.

Yep same slip on exhaust Andrew. I've seen some people get the ring majigga things put over the end and thought it was a regulation thing.
    It is for the people with a dan moto special slash cut exhaust tip

Thats what my end looks like, going to be a problem?
    scorpr6s-1.jpg

Thats what my end looks like, going to be a problem?
    scorpr6s-1.jpg
    Doesn't look like it would pass. 3mm edge thickness minimum.
    The question is would you like to land on it or be hit by it, or have someone else crash into it?
    Cookie cutter?
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    It is for the people with a dan moto special slash cut exhaust tip

And people with the Austin Racing shit...

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    The question is would you like to land on it or be hit by it, or have someone else crash into it?
    Cookie cutter?
    Yep, and considering the impacts people suffered at St George, a cookie cutter outcome is fairly likely. I've got (courtesy of johnny b) one of those Dan Moto sized egg-fry rings spare. Dunno if it's the same size tho.

How much marshy? I'll measure up tonight.

One billion dollars! I dunno - ask johnny b If it fits - find that out first. I don't think it was exxy.

Quote Originally Posted by CLIFFY View Post
    Just launch it out of the garage into pit lane wall
    You'll be famous
    Personally i prefer to launch back in to the garage after the race.....

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Launch straight to the esky for a cold beer!

If the egg ringy thing fits it's yours Kanga. You can pay the 1 billion dollars later. I will split it with Marshy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Not pitting with you again

I actually bought a danmoto exhaust for 40 bucks on TJS a little while back to keep as a spare. May as well swap over and make it my main one. Thanks johnny!!
    Marshy you going to be out on track on the 21st?

IMG_1928.JPG
    Fuck I'm a cheap ass lol Ugly as sin but thanks to my crashes it already was. I just made it a smidge worse. Fuck it, its a track bike Should be good to go now. Cuts nice and smooth, no sharp or jagged edges.

Unfortunately the dan moto exhaust I tried only had one mounting point and that was the exhaust hanger. There wasn't a mounting tab for the lower mount so it ended up swinging around every where.
    Last edited by KANGA; 27-12-2014 at 11:34 PM.

If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it

Thread Information