Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX rd 5 vids Formula OZ

FX rd 5 vids Formula OZ

A little vid from the rear onboard of Cerby's BMW S1000RR. Just a few laps of my terrible start and chase - BMW vs BMW

Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

nice mate...was great to watch
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Hahaha, I like the around-the-outside-of-turn-2 pass attempt - you nearly got him!!

And what's the go with the start? Looked like you were heading down to the shops for bread and milk, and didn't want to wake the neighbours......
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

lol go back to starting school?

The BMW oem clutch is a nightmare. I've been getting tips of Allerton but he also still has issues. They use aftermarket solely for that reason in the WSBK they built for Laguna.
    Even Cerby dropped back off the line. If you watch some of the other riders footage you can see the bmws dropping back off the start. Brett Kitchin said, he just accepts he's going to lose places off the start and have to make them up. Sloan Frost had a similar issue at PI ASBK on the weekend, so I know it's not just me. It can be mastered, but it's so hit and miss, and I've only done a handful of starts on it. You have to do like a street start - if too many revs it grabs violently.
    I'm saving for aftermarket. I'm already over it. That's part of the reason I was so far back in the first place. I lost 8-9 places off the start in the first race then ran off trying to make them up It's soul destroying and you become so anxious thinking about as you come up to the line.
    Last edited by senator8; 07-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    nice mate...was great to watch
    Good to see you mate. It's been a while. Nice to meet Maria
    I know it's hard being at the track and not riding!

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Good to see you mate. It's been a while. Nice to meet Maria
    I know it's hard being at the track and not riding!
    Cheer Rick.. Aint that the truth... then get asked to pick up the lad at 12:30, only to wait around for another hour until they were released... could have spent more time at the track

And the sad thing is I think I had some Mobic anti-inflamatories with me..could have saved you a fair amount of pain..
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

The BMW oem clutch is a nightmare. I've been getting tips of Allerton but he also still has issues. They use aftermarket solely for that reason in the WSBK they built for Laguna.
    Even Cerby dropped back off the line. If you watch some of the other riders footage you can see the bmws dropping back off the start. Brett Kitchin said, he just accepts he's going to lose places off the start and have to make them up. Sloan Frost had a similar issue at PI ASBK on the weekend, so I know it's not just me. It can be mastered, but it's so hit and miss, and I've only done a handful of starts on it. You have to do like a street start - if too many revs it grabs violently.
    I'm saving for aftermarket. I'm already over it. That's part of the reason I was so far back in the first place. I lost 8-9 places off the start in the first race then ran off trying to make them up It's soul destroying and you become so anxious thinking about as you come up to the line.
    ahhh bugger... isnt there launch control or something similar like the RSV4?

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    ahhh bugger... isnt there launch control or something similar like the RSV4?
    HP4 has launch control, but that wouldn't help with the clutch. The racers I have spoken to don't use the RSV4 LC either.

You just need to buy WSBK electronics....

hopefully that aftermarket clutch will work out much better

The racers I have spoken to don't use the RSV4 LC either.
    Why is that? Just curious, because I'd love to have LC on my R6!! My starts are usually pretty ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Why is that? Just curious, because I'd love to have LC on my R6!! My starts are usually pretty ordinary.
    Can't say Nick. I suppose some may use it. I think the oem ones are more of a marketing tool than the fully adjustable aftermarket electronics.
    I will be happy with just a normal working clutch!

There was this guy on a gixxer 600 that I could swear had some form of LC on the bike... and that was during a RYM day too! hahahaha But seriously, he'd hold the thing pinned and then just take off without so much as the front wheel getting an inch off the ground! Impressive to watch from the wall...

Think you're talking about Brayden Elliot???

That kid is getting real quick

I had fun racing with him during RYM and his starts are unreal

Baddie was showing me some videos of a setup using a powercommander secondary module or something. Not proper LC though - you could hold the throttle pinned but the max revs with WOT would be whatever you set it to (10k or whatever), then when you released the clutch it switched off the setting.

And Ed, it was a gixxer.... that explains it right there! He would've been flat stick, but then when he unleashed all 55hp the front wheel wouldn't have even gotten light. Suzuki's version of launch control, traction control and wheelie control all in one is just to build engines with no power, and put it in a long-wheelbase chassis.

<shrugs into flame suit>

Baddie was showing me some videos of a setup using a powercommander secondary module or something. Not proper LC though - you could hold the throttle pinned but the max revs with WOT would be whatever you set it to (10k or whatever), then when you released the clutch it switched off the setting.
    I got that, it's a feature of the ignition module, not SFM. I still haven't mastered it though.

And Ed, it was a gixxer.... that explains it right there! He would've been flat stick, but then when he unleashed all 55hp the front wheel wouldn't have even gotten light. Suzuki's version of launch control, traction control and wheelie control all in one is just to build engines with no power, and put it in a long-wheelbase chassis.

<shrugs into flame suit>
    So that's why my front wheel never comes up! Damn suzi.

hahaha yeah... not sure what it was or who! But he was getting some pretty clean starts even though you could hear the thing bouncing off the limiter just before the lights

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    I got that, it's a feature of the ignition module, not SFM. I still haven't mastered it though.
    Here's the video....Still waiting for STM switch to turn up before worrying about the extra bling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkaf...DEF25F06B56B7B

Sorry, I'm not making the connection to this vid and launch control.
    Glad I watched it on the bog. It was riveting

I think I'll stick to the usual old school starts.. All these electronic add ons... I'm losing power to weight ratio

my front wheel can go really high on starts lol but hey dont talk about power to weight just yet ....

My onboards from the same race

I'd be crying in my helmet if my bike launched that badly! I feel sorry for you - it looked a lot worse in this video than Cerby's one. The whole field just passed you by.

And did you need to change your undies after the exit of T12 on the second-last lap? That was pretty close to the dirt.....

I noticed that Nick .. Great to catch them all and overtake most though, great racing..... just imagine if you got off the line well !!

Great video but... why no drafting on the straight? If I rode my 600 like that on the straight I'd be screwed... hahahaha

its a BMW you don't need to..but yes why no drafting???

Nice pass on the outside of Turn 1.

I feel sorry for you Rick about the clutch and your starts

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Here's the video....Still waiting for STM switch to turn up before worrying about the extra bling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkaf...DEF25F06B56B7B
    This is the video you meant:

And did you need to change your undies after the exit of T12 on the second-last lap? That was pretty close to the dirt.....
    Do you mean T18 in "modern SMSP parlance"? 6:44 ... Rick uses all of the track ... one more mm and he'd need to put knobby tyres on ... as well as change of underwear ;-)

I wish they would change the naming convention of the corners at SMSP to something sane. My suggestion (it was Dan that came up with the idea) is you specify the track layout and then the turn; ie GPT12 or BRT18 or NCT8.

I've been doing laps of Eastern Creek for 20 years. I have NO IDEA what any corner above the number 12 refers to, and I daresay I'm never gonna learn. I just keep calling them by their original names, and add "the new bit" whenever referring to that - which is hardly ever because I avoid the Brabham circuit like the plague.

People didn't start calling turn 9 turn 8 when they took away turn 7, right? The corners just went from 6 to 8, missing 7 altogether. Why don't we just call the new corners B1, B2 etc, then rejoin the track at turn 8, like normal?

Or am I like an old fogie that won't convert to the metric system??

I'd be crying in my helmet if my bike launched that badly! I feel sorry for you - it looked a lot worse in this video than Cerby's one. The whole field just passed you by.

Yes the starts are demoralising.

Going round the outside of T12 is a fave of mine. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I keep a close eye on the inside bike and he started to run it out so I changed line to give plenty of room but he pulled it back in. I know it doesn't look like it, but I wasn't worried and thus kept it pinned

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    I noticed that Nick .. Great to catch them all and overtake most though, great racing..... just imagine if you got off the line well !!
    I'm trying to imagine Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Great video but... why no drafting on the straight? If I rode my 600 like that on the straight I'd be screwed... hahahaha
    its a BMW you don't need to..but yes why no drafting???

Nice pass on the outside of Turn 1.

I feel sorry for you Rick about the clutch and your starts
    If I was dicing for a place, I may have drafted. But as it was really just for midpack fun, I've been caught out before and now just avoid it unless I really know the rider. Drafting someone and they brake, roll off, miss a a gear etc actually requires emptying the leathers after.

This vid is from earlier in the year at the Barry Sheene Festival of Speed. After first lap mishaps, I was determined to hunt down the 2 1000's in front so that I would not get pushed back to the 3rd row on the grid. I used the T12 outside pass and a little bit more (it's last lap BTW if you don't want to watch the whole thing)

Jaysus!!!

Jaysus!!!
    hahaha! was that a good or bad jaysus?
    I stayed on the 2nd row! and finished 4th outright for the weekend

The dirt-tracking elicited the jaysus

I nearly did the same thing at PI turn 12....

Great racing, btw! The bike sounds fantastic too.

I've been doing laps of Eastern Creek for 20 years. I have NO IDEA what any corner above the number 12 refers to, and I daresay I'm never gonna learn. I just keep calling them by their original names, and add "the new bit" whenever referring to that - which is hardly ever because I avoid the Brabham circuit like the plague.

People didn't start calling turn 9 turn 8 when they took away turn 7, right? The corners just went from 6 to 8, missing 7 altogether. Why don't we just call the new corners B1, B2 etc, then rejoin the track at turn 8, like normal?

Or am I like an old fogie that won't convert to the metric system??

As for the dirt riding... How come when I did that I had to explain myself to Duncan?? hahahaha

I've been doing laps of Eastern Creek for 20 years.
    You've been doing laps since I was 4...

no wonder I still got plenty of catching up to do

Works for me ... one for the ARDC suggestion box?

Turn 7.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You've been doing laps since I was 4...
    Now I really feel old!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Turn 7.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Sorry, that's incorrect. That's actually B1. There is no Turn 7 any more. And I have no idea who thought naming a bunch of corners T15, T15a, T15b, T15c, and T4, T4a and T4b was a smart idea, but I reckon they would've made a great bureaucrat.

Sorry, that's incorrect. That's actually B1. There is no Turn 7 any more. And I have no idea who thought naming a bunch of corners T15, T15a, T15b, T15c, and T4, T4a and T4b was a smart idea, but I reckon they would've made a great bureaucrat.

I was actually going to say this in regards to your previous post...

Then I noticed you said there's not turn SEVEN! There'll always be a T7... just no T6 anymore!
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 09-10-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: He didn't get EVERYTHING

D'oh!! What a complete balls-up on my part!! You're absolutely right, and I'm gonna hang my head in shame for a few hours.....

At the ARDC days old mate doing the briefing still refers to the last turn as T18 even when it's a GP day, now that's confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's all even slightly more confusing because the Gardner GP circuit is not exactly the same as the "original circuit". A corner did go missing (was straightened) after T5 ... on GP track there are now only 11 corners!

The last corner use to be T12 (now T18) ... but there are only 11 turns leading up to it. The old hairpin (with blue white ripple strips) use to be T9 (now T15) and people refer to the GP corner before that as T8 (T14), so I can see why people ask about where the feck T7 went!

I think the a, b, c or corners is where it all breaks down as a naming convention - how many riders know where T4b is?

See here for renumbering of all the circuit formats:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Motorsport_Park

T4b is at Heathrow International i think

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    T4b is at Heathrow International i think
    Correct, damn you got it!

I still use the old layouts so turn 9 is the new 14. not interested in the new bit and describe the corners instead of remembering the numbers e.g. turn 11 is the fish hook

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    I still use the old layouts so turn 9 is the new 14. not interested in the new bit and describe the corners instead of remembering the numbers e.g. turn 11 is the fish hook
    T15 actually....
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

I can't remember any of the new corner numbers. So when referring to the full track I say old 9, 12 etc and hairpin, flip flop, uphill right handed out of the bowl etc for the new bit. It's easier for me than trying to remember 4 sets of corner numbers for the same bloody track

I can't remember any of the new corner numbers. So when referring to the full track I say old 9, 12 etc and hairpin, flip flop, uphill right handed out of the bowl etc for the new bit. It's easier for me than trying to remember 4 sets of corner numbers for the same bloody track
    +1. That's exactly what I do too, except for me the 'old' is assumed. So I just say turn 9, and I mean old turn 9. I have no idea which corner 'new' turn 9 is!

Thread Information