Thread: Dad of the year!

Dad of the year!

My 12 year old daughter broke her collarbone at school yesterday during lunch. So off we go to the hospital. I was there to comfort, calm and generally distract her from all the goings on and give her what ever attention or advice she needed.

No...I'm not loving that and I'm not loving that! But I'm loving this!

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/oran-...il-2009-702765

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/track...d-video-625380

Ha! Great photo!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Hahaha good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see your 'dad of the year' nomination and raise you one ambulance ride and a third-degree burn. My 6yo was hanging with the boys in the shed while we were spannering bikes, and dad (ie me) momentarily put a soldering iron on the concrete while repositioning the wires on the bike being soldered. Cue piercing screams and a frankly disturbing smell of burning flesh.....

Ambo ride, night in RNS Hospital, almost no sleep, and to top it off the bike isn't finished! I'll honestly be lucky if the wife lets me ride this w/e. The ambo lasses were cute though!

ouch...
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

That woulda hurt
    Upside is chicks dig scars. Seems to be working already
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

No kids were hurt in the making of this thread lol. Hope they are all ok. The dads in question too.

They were talking skin grafts, but there's "no suitable places to take matching skin-type from"

Geez Nick, that serious stuff !! Hope hes doing ok

Crikies all the best to him. Nick you have no competition.
    Last edited by Medic!; 31-10-2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: gender fix

Nick - hope he is ok. was he wearing shoes in the shed?
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

He's much better than I expected today, actually. Doped up, but he still managed to go trick-or-treating! To be honest, he's been looking forward to it for soooo long that I don't think even an amputation would've stopped him!

I've been in the doghouse with the wife (and in a self-imposed ban from the garage), but I've just had a minor breakdown and think I'll now be ok to resume normal programming tomorrow. The bike is still in pieces!! And I've totally abandoned the idea of the spare bike being ready - it's largely in its component pieces and not running anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    Nick - hope he is ok. was he wearing shoes in the shed?
    Nope! My bad. My wife was babysitting for a friend at their house, so I was in charge. But there were mates over and we were working on bikes and talking crap and having a great time! So I wasn't paying due attention. No alcohol involved or anything like that - I just wasn't on top of the OH&S issues.

I did say to him just before it happened to watch out because it was extremely hot, and then only about 10 seconds later jumped down from a tyre pile straight onto it. Lesson learned, the hard way!

lesson learnt all round hey... I chip my nephew when he comes in the shed without shoes and get him to stand outside... metal shavings etc are so high risk, let alone stubbing toes or worse...

hope he heals soon.
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

. I've been in the doghouse with the wife (and in a self-imposed ban from the garage), but I've just had a minor breakdown and think I'll now be ok to resume normal programming tomorrow.
    Regardless of blame don't be too hard on yourself. Been there done that and its a hard hole to dig yourself out of if let it get to you. As senator said chicks dig scars. Just gotta come up with a more interesting story for the young bloke to impress even more. Only 6 plenty of time. I'll bet he's not blaming you for it. Was probably a big adventure for him.

My sister and her husband are super protective of their kids too so it comes as no surprise when they tell me I need to stay in the shed when the kids are playing outside

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    My sister and her husband are super protective of their kids too so it comes as no surprise when they tell me I need to stay in the shed when the kids are playing outside
    Im almost worried about that comment Ed. what is it you arent telling us?

Hey Nick- I feel for you - I bought the young bloke a double header at EC earlier this year for his birthday..had the young bloke do his collar bone on the saturday... a week before soccer training started... that first phone call is a toughie.. I was fortunate enough to get asked 1) is he ok? 2) did he enjoy himself?

you also have clear justification now to impose any OH&S requirement you feel necessary without any comeback.. no shoe - no play.. garage is serious business...put safety glasses on, get dad refreshments, etc etc etc
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    get dad refreshments
    I like this one!! Although that was a big no-no back when I used to drink. Kids absorb your drinking, and all that. Remember the ad?

purely non alcoholic
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

As much as I like that ad I can't say it worked for me...

Hey nick was just watching air rescue and made me think of your young bloke. How is he doing?

Fantastically well, thanks! The healing power of young bodies is just amazing. He's gonna have a scar to show the chicks when he's older, but no other lasting issues (thankfully)!

Thread Information