Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Fitness

Track Fitness

Bit of something different here ... i am sure at some time or another we have all felt tired both mentally and physically on the track.

Wondering who here keeps up there fitness for the track and what exercises you focus on before track/practice/race days etc? be in upper legs or cardio etc

Be interesting to see how many people do nothing lol .. i know we are not motogp stars (however some of us think we are but ) but i do feel fitness it pretty critical for the track.

Thoughts?

Pffft, training. I eat a couple of pies, washed down with a chocolate milk; does that count?

Just do a general strength and conditioning program and ride more. The more you ride, the more bike fit you will get. You can get carried away with fitness and losing weight, but that won't necessarily make you faster; hell, look at Marshy compared to all those skinny fit riders.

PS. If a fat bastard like me can get around the track for 5 laps, the average person should have no problems.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Pffft, training. I eat a couple of pies, washed down with a chocolate milk; does that count?

Just do a general strength and conditioning program and ride more. The more you ride, the more bike fit you will get. You can get carried away with fitness and losing weight, but that won't necessarily make you faster; hell, look at Marshy compared to all those skinny fit riders.

PS. If a fat bastard like me can get around the track for 5 laps, the average person should have no problems.
    I do like to consider the bounce factor my friend...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    I do like to consider the bounce factor my friend...
    My extra midsection is crash protection! Padding, as it were.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

I'm with the padded guys
    Or you could try Wetty's 'wild turkey diet' and do 9 races and 6 practice/qualy sessions in one day.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

go to the gym???

do some weights improve strength and core muscle. A bit of cardio maybe once a week gets you general fit?

or you can do the Grant Bewert workout and get beast mode!

I miss going to the gym... not being able to train is probably the most annoying thing I got out of my crash. For some weird reason I'm the skinniest I've been in years now and I haven't even changed my food intake much. My cardio is probably the worse it's been in forever though. Only exercise I do remotely close to any cardio training is free diving a 2-3 times a month.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 09-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Red bull and ciggies

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Red bull and ciggies
    what about the other arm/hand?
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

I don't do shit and seem to get by ok. I just try to make sure I ride a bike the weekend before, ideally a race practice day or hitting up the dirt bikes. I did ardc the week before the last race and felt buggered the next day. A week later did the two day race meet and felt fine, didn't hurt at all the next day, happily would've raced again on Monday. If I didn't ride the week before it would've been a totally different story.

I used to do a bit of swimming years ago and it's really good for cardio, I really really want to get back into doing it a couple of times a week, it but finding the time to do it is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    Mother palm and her five daughters ... good for cardio as well I hear ...

If Phil Lovett can be that quick and look like that then that's good enough for me

Each to their own I guess

Just you wait until you hit 40, young Rancell. The waistline has a mind of its own....

Mother palm and her five daughters ... good for cardio as well I hear ...
    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Each to their own I guess
    Yeah it's best that way ... with someone else's ... it gets a bit gay ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Yeah it's best that way ... with someone else's ... it gets a bit gay ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mazabuzz View Post
    If Phil Lovett can be that quick and look like that then that's good enough for me
    BAM!

I dug an 9m x 4.5m x 1.2m hole in clay with a shovel and wheel barrow for fitness. ( took 9mths). Then brought around 15 ton of road base and sand from the front to backyard. Then lugged 65sqm of pavers + retaining blocks to same spot. To keep my weight down I'm still live with my wife.(stress)
    No...I'm not loving that and I'm not loving that! But I'm loving this!

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/oran-...il-2009-702765

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/track...d-video-625380

This is a topic that is dear to my heart. I am not fast to start with but I think I would be even slower if I didn't stay fit. I think there is a good argument for being fit on the bike in terms of both performance and recovery. For me cycling works best but I have been toying with the idea of developing a motorcycle specific program. Not just for the workout but also for the motivation. Watch this space. Very keen to get everyone's thoughts about this and what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    BAM!

I dug an 9m x 4.5m x 1.2m hole in clay with a shovel and wheel barrow for fitness. ( took 9mths). Then brought around 15 ton of road base and sand from the front to backyard. Then lugged 65sqm of pavers + retaining blocks to same spot. To keep my weight down I'm still live with my wife.(stress)
    I got worried there Medic ... thought you were going to tell us where you buried the missus. Was going to suggest it's best to go down to 1.8m ...

I got worried there Medic ... thought you were going to tell us where you buried the missus. Was going to suggest it's best to go down to 1.8m ...
    Dang too late for this one there's a pool in it now. Hmmm maybe when the kids move out and I fill the thing in.
    No...I'm not loving that and I'm not loving that! But I'm loving this!

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/oran-...il-2009-702765

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/track...d-video-625380

Cycle, swim (if possible) and then buy a dirt bike and come ride with Dad and I, if you can do 5 laps flat out at Appin motocross track your pretty fit.

make it 3 laps of appin Carl !!! motox totally wipes me out........ well my knees and my wrists

I love MX and any form of riding but I don't think you can do enough to stay fit. Even the pros cycle and run etc. I love the idea of working on a program that motivates you by understanding the motivation and requirements of track riding. Come on Stu just one more set so you can beat Carl into turn one......

its not really a fitness issue when im motocrossing, it is the crunching noises my joints make !!! lol and the ensuing pain

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    its not really a fitness issue when im motocrossing, it is the crunching noises my joints make !!! lol and the ensuing pain
    Ouch!!

Red bull and ciggies
    bam

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    Takes photos haha

do a burnout

Dude, that is wrong on several levels!

hahahaha love it........... hell it used to work in th 70s and 80s why not now..

haha track fitness FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Dude, that is wrong on several levels!
    I know my hands are filthy!
    do a burnout

Ps. RIP red leathers
    do a burnout

I know my hands are filthy!
    And it's a girly-sized can, not a man-can. And is that a menthol cigarette??

Takes photos haha

Dan, how many Red Bulls did you get through over the WE, I reckon you had wings ...

Track Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    And it's a girly-sized can, not a man-can. And is that a menthol cigarette??

Marlboro Lights mate, no menthol here!

It is a sugar free red bull though. Gotta watch that sugar intake!
    do a burnout

Gotta watch that sugar intake!
    Yeah, gotta watch that.... sugar is a real killer!

Ps. RIP red leathers
    Can't be fixed? Damn that's a shame .. they really stood out.

Not wrong! In the first 600 race when he ran off at turn 11 I target fixated like crazy because I had no idea what the huge red figure in the gravel was doing!

If you do a Bernie Hatton coach and set up day. There's usually a personal trainer there to give you tips and a few sheets on what you can do when you're off the bike. A lot of the time the fitness activities people use, like riding mountain bikes, or dirt bikes result in more injuries than actually racing. Kind of a catch 22. Nothing will beat on-bike/track time for fitness. So instead of spending thousands of dollars on new equipment or gym fees, maybe that can be better spent on track days and training days etc. Just a thought.
    Isle of Man TT Apprentice.
    Racing... it's life. Everything else is just waiting.
    2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 Race bike -SOLD
    2010 Kawasaki ZX6R Race bike (my chariot for the IOMTT)

I found that a clean diet 6/7 days a week, and interval training to get recovery to spec and endurance capacity, along with developing core strength very beneficial. Building a whole heap of muscle didnt necessarily equate to better endurance etc as riding a bike shouldnt require a lot of force.

It was most effective for the endurance and back to back racing/ double stinting efforts where a quick recovery is required. Dropping a little weight helped..
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

They got cut down both legs, both arms. If I lay them down they look splayed out like a bear rug haha straight to the pool room.

Definitely keeping my eye out for another set like that. If anyone sees something in the classifieds that is equally obnoxious in a 48/50 give me a shout.
    do a burnout

They got cut down both legs, both arms. If I lay them down they look splayed out like a bear rug haha straight to the pool room.

Definitely keeping my eye out for another set like that. If anyone sees something in the classifieds that is equally obnoxious in a 48/50 give me a shout.
    Hey I like that! ... Get it framed like one of those sports memorabilia trophies for the pool room ... maybe with a couple of pictures next to it of you making sweet sweet love to that bike before it spat you off

What brand were the red ones Dan?

Alpinestars. Was a great suit. Got them second hand from a dude who had been down the road a few times and I had done the same and they had withstood the punishment. Even after my crash last week they were still in one piece till the medical guys got to it... bastards. Getting new gear (suit, helmet, boots) will be more costly than fixing the bike!
    do a burnout

Actually, the costly bit of fixing the bike will be getting distracted and getting things I don't absolutely need - such as these haha

do a burnout

Alpinestars. Was a great suit. Got them second hand from a dude who had been down the road a few times and I had done the same and they had withstood the punishment. Even after my crash last week they were still in one piece till the medical guys got to it... bastards. Getting new gear (suit, helmet, boots) will be more costly than fixing the bike!
    I'm sure they wouldn't have cut it if they didn't have to, mate... having said that, when I broke my collarbone and ppl told me they'd cut my leathers out I found a (painful) way of getting out of them! hahahaha I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this though

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I'm sure they wouldn't have cut it if they didn't have to, mate... having said that, when I broke my collarbone and ppl told me they'd cut my leathers out I found a (painful) way of getting out of them! hahahaha I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing this though
    Oh absolutely, I dont blame them.

Actually, the costly bit of fixing the bike will be getting distracted and getting things I don't absolutely need - such as these haha

Ohhh nice ... like the moon boot too ...

When Janice worked in ER, when a motorcyclist came in she always insisted that they cut down the seams if possible.... that way there is a possibility to have them repaired, unfortunately not all ER staff do this :(

Ohhh nice ... like the moon boot too ...
    Off a K3/4 GSXR1000, got the forks, calipers and master cylinder for $141. Need top clamp still. Some damage on the top of the LHS cartridge so will have to keep an eye out for some new cartridges...

Not A* but a good suit for a great price... almost want to get it for myself and keep it as a spare!

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtr...f?OpenDocument

Thread Information